GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Sep 2019, 09:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
VP
VP
V
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 11:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (02:00) correct 22% (01:47) wrong based on 134 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside the hive for food, tend to have larger brains than do younger bees, which usually do not forage but instead remain in the hive to tend to newly hatched bees. Since foraging requires greater cognitive ability than does tending to newly hatched bees, it appears that foraging leads to the increased brain size of older bees.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Bees that have foraged for a long time do not have significantly larger brains than do bees that have foraged for a shorter time.

(B) The brains of older bees that stop foraging to take on other responsibilities do not become smaller after they stop foraging.

(C) Those bees that travel a long distance to find food do not have significantly larger brains than do bees that locate food nearer the hive.

(D) In some species of bees, the brains of older bees are only marginally larger than those of younger bees.

(E) The brains of older bees that never learn to forage are the same size as those of their foraging counterparts of the same age.

Souce: LSAT

V
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 18:53
Akela wrote:
Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside the hive for food, tend to have larger brains than do younger bees, which usually do not forage but instead remain in the hive to tend to newly hatched bees. Since foraging requires greater cognitive ability than does tending to newly hatched bees, it appears that foraging leads to the increased brain size of older bees.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Bees that have foraged for a long time do not have significantly larger brains than do bees that have foraged for a shorter time.
Good contender. However, this choice is wrong since the argument makes the comparison between the older bees, which usually forage outside the hive for food, and the younger bees, which usually remain in the hive. The argument doesn't make any comparison between the length of time for foraging.

(B) The brains of older bees that stop foraging to take on other responsibilities do not become smaller after they stop foraging.
Same as A, the argument doesn't make any comparison between the length of time for foraging.

(C) Those bees that travel a long distance to find food do not have significantly larger brains than do bees that locate food nearer the hive.
The argument doesn't make any comparison between the distance that the bees locate to find food.

(D) In some species of bees, the brains of older bees are only marginally larger than those of younger bees.
This choice somewhat strengthens the argument.

(E) The brains of older bees that never learn to forage are the same size as those of their foraging counterparts of the same age.
Correct. The argument states that the younger bees have smaller brains because they don't have foraging skill/knowledge. This choice directly attacks the argument by stating that there is no difference between older bees that don't have foraging skill/knowledge and other older bees that do have foraging skill/knowledge. This choice indicates that there is another alternative reason: the size of brain is different as the difference in the responsibility that each bee takes care, not because the foraging skill itself effects the size of brain of bees.
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Re: Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 01:15
E is best..it gives alternative reason for a cause ...
Age is the factor not foraging.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2019, 20:17
nightblade354 I have a question regarding option D.

It is wrong because it only talks about older and younger bees and their brain size. However, it does not mention foraging at all. I contemplated about this option for a bit, and now I try to "rephrase" it so that it becomes a good answer choice. What if it was written as follows?

(D') In some species of bees, the brains of older bees that forage are not marginally larger than those of younger bees.

In my subjective opinion, D' resembles option E and is a strengthener to the argument's conclusion. I would really appreciate your feedback on my reasoning. Thank you in advance.
CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2019, 03:53
mykrasovski wrote:
nightblade354 I have a question regarding option D.

It is wrong because it only talks about older and younger bees and their brain size. However, it does not mention foraging at all. I contemplated about this option for a bit, and now I try to "rephrase" it so that it becomes a good answer choice. What if it was written as follows?

(D') In some species of bees, the brains of older bees that forage are not marginally larger than those of younger bees.

In my subjective opinion, D' resembles option E and is a strengthener to the argument's conclusion. I would really appreciate your feedback on my reasoning. Thank you in advance.

Yeah, this strengthens because it still says that the brain is bigger. The argument doesn’t care the size change so long as it is proven correct. And this proves the theory to be correct. Any answer that says “the brain is bigger for reason X” would weaken. Your statement may weaken, but it may not. The statement says some species, so there could be others where this happens.

Posted from my mobile device

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2019, 03:53

Scientists have shown that older bees, which usually forage outside th

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics