Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [15]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Scientists who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada con [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
enochjason

Quote:
May I ask whether the "by" after "but" can be omitted? Why? In what conditions can I omit it and in what conditions I can't?

E has already that structure of omitting the preposition 'by' and is therefore wrong.
If you are using by after 'not', then you have to use 'by' compulsorily to keep //ism of correlative conjunction "not… but". You cannot, therefore, skip it. If there is no 'by' after 'not', then you can skip it after 'but'.
Re: Scientists who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada con [#permalink]
Quote:
Scientists who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada concluded that the rich lode was not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years concentrated the gold from jungle soils and rivers and rocks.

A. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years
B. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but instead swarms of microbes over millions of years that
C. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but swarms of microbes over millions of years that
D. produced not by the accepted methods of ore formation but by swarms of microbes that over millions of years
E. produced not by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years

Hi my honorable expert,
I'm not sure how 2 'and' has been used among 3 nouns (i.e., jungle soils, rivers, and rocks) without using any punctuation?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
Quote:
Scientists who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada concluded that the rich lode was not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years concentrated the gold from jungle soils and rivers and rocks.

A. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years
B. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but instead swarms of microbes over millions of years that
C. not produced by the accepted methods of ore formation but swarms of microbes over millions of years that
D. produced not by the accepted methods of ore formation but by swarms of microbes that over millions of years
E. produced not by the accepted methods of ore formation but that swarms of microbes over millions of years

Hi my honorable expert,
I'm not sure how 2 'and' has been used among 3 nouns (i.e., jungle soils, rivers, and rocks) without using any punctuation?
Thanks__

Public Service Announcement: do not waste your time looking for mistakes in the non-underlined portion of the sentence! :) Unless, of course, they somehow cause a problem in the underlined portion.

I certainly understand why the construction looks strange to you - it's fairly unconventional usage to write A and B and C, rather than A, B, and C, but it isn't wrong. Remember that if we write "X and Y" we don't use a comma, so there's no reason why we absolutely have to use commas when we write X and Y and Z." The commas in a list are there to signal to the reader that one element has ended and the next has begun, but "and" performs the same function. Here, if they'd written "jungle soils, rivers, and rocks," it might seem as though the writer intended to convey, "jungle soils, [jungle] rivers, and [jungle] rocks," as opposed to "rivers" and "rocks" in general. The "ands" avoid that ambiguity.

But ultimately, if we don't have the option of changing a construction, there's no reason to worry about it.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
If you understand that the concept being tested here is parallel structures and the correct idiom is ‘produced not by X but by Y’, we can arrive at the right option in a matter of seconds.

Let’s look at the options:

A: ‘but that’ is not parallel. Eliminate.

B. usage of ‘but’ and ‘instead’ is redundant. Also, does not maintain parallelism. Eliminate.

C. missing preposition ‘by’ and therefore not parallel. Eliminate.

D. Correct parallel structure: ‘produced not by the accepted methods… but by swarms of…’ This is the best choice.

E. Same as A. ‘But that’ is not parallel in structure. Eliminate.

Option D is the best option.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The only sentence that made sense was D.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM

I think the word "concluded" is modifying Pelada.

Can you pl. correct me if I'm wrong!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
adarsh618 wrote:

The structure of the sentence is:

Scientists who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada concluded <something>

Notice that "who studied the famous gold field known as Serra Pelada" is a modifier, modifying "Scientists".

So, the "core" of the sentence (without the modifier) is:

Scientists concluded <something>.

Now, it is very clear that "concluded" is not really modifying anything; in fact, "concluded" is the main verb.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses how to differentiate between Simple Past Tense and Past Participle, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
adarsh618 wrote:

Hello adarsh618,

We hope this finds you well.

To provide a bit of clarity here, in this sentence "concluded" is not a modifier; it is an active verb acting upon the noun "Scientists".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts