Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13386 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Scored 420 on the Official GMAT Practise Test, what's next ? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You need to first think whether on-demand video courses will suit to your requirement or not.

It seems that you are way OFF your target score mark and you have a regular job in which you might lack the motivation to regularly study and make incremental progress. Students in such situation find a group of likemindeed buddies or a tutor to push you in right direction. You need to decide your requirement and your limitations before making any purchase else it will just go in vain.

My recommendation will be that you should take some sunbscription in free trial phase and see where you stand. At the same time consider taking some demo sessions to assess teh difference that methodologies make and then take your final decision.

We have a classic video course for quant on our website which you can check on www.GMATinsight.com in pricing tab

Also we give a free demo session which you can take either on quant or on verbal to see the effect that a sessions makes.

Let me know if interested. :)

all the best!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello proxyshy,

Welcome to the GMAT Club. It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, etc.

Learning is a continuous process, and it shines with practice. Math is a very tricky subject that is easy to understand and difficult to apply.

Success in GMAT Math is entirely based on vital concepts, rigorous practice, complete knowledge of math question types and patterns, quick approaches, and time-management.

Your current GMAT score is shaky. You can schedule a Free counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 20 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A couple of things that can be a noticeable barrier to your scores would be some or all of the below.

• Not detailed knowledge of GMAT Math pattern and Question types
• Inefficiency by using time-consuming Conventional method to tackle DS and PS questions still
• No expert support (maybe) who can tutor, analyze, and guide you during your learning
• Lack of many updated questions and practice in the recent exam trend
• Not well aligned with time to solve questions.

Precisely, there has to be one end-to-end solution encompassing all the points mentioned above. We also want to understand your approach to solving PS and DS questions. You can try our free diagnostic test https://www.mathrevolution.com/diagnostic/dtExamMember and receive a comprehensive study guide by topic. This test will clearly help you understand your weak areas.

Your study plan will now change as you are already ready with the vital concepts and their application. The diagnostic test report will give us detailed insight into various topics and your performance. After an in-depth analysis, we will draw out the category of the topics in which you are already better and those where you need more improvement. Also, we will be able to compare your performance while solving the PS and DS questions.

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve a score of 700+. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

We recommend that you learn the Variable Approach for solving DS questions and the IVY approach for solving PS questions to improve your accuracy and save time while solving the question types.

The most important for you will be learning and commanding the Variable Approach for DS questions and IVY Approach for PS questions. These approaches are the robust self-designed time-saving techniques that will help you learn efficiently, thus raising your score in the quick nick of time.

Register with MathRevolution https://www.mathrevolution.com/member/signup to get access to our 7-day full on-demand course (27 topics, 490 subtopics, and 1,500 questions) for free trial lessons.

700+ level questions https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/questionbank are separately available, too. Start with the learning of the concepts. Make a habit of taking notes during the initial learning of the concepts.

After registering, you will have access to the practice section. Initially, try solving the DS and/or PS questions from very easy and easy category questions on the topic(s) you have learned. You may also connect with one of our experts to get one of the best tutoring supports, which will help you understand the topic(s) and solve questions and learn how to manage time and accuracy.

Adding to the same, mastery of the Variable Approach to solve DS questions and the IVY approach to solve PS questions would add a feather to the cap. Below is the useful link we will recommend you to visit on GMAT club to experience the power of DS and IVY approaches.

Ultimate Q51 guide: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate ... l#p1613600

Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of- ... l#p1641411

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time-management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Punit Joshi
Math Revolution Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi proxyshy,

Many GMATers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. That 420 is just a measure of your skills right now - and you'll improve on that result over time as you learn more about the content, Tactics and little 'secrets' of the Exam. Since many GMATers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, by planning to take the GMAT in July, you have given yourself lots of potential study time - which is a smart choice.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) How much studying - if any - have you done so far?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website. I suggest that you take advantage of all of them, then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

1) I haven't started studying yet, this mock test was given with no preparation at all, to have a lower-limit benchmark. I wanted to start but got confused with the plethora of options available. I am fine with using around 2-3 sources for my learning, although the lesser the better. As I am also having ADHD, more content almost never helps.
2) I am planning to apply September onwards to the top B-Schools in US, UK, and Europe, while also having 1-2 backup schools just in case. As I am already having a stable career, I am okay spending more time as long as I get into the top schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi proxyshy,

I've sent you a PM with some notes and additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
proxyshy wrote:
I took this test in order to get a lower-limit benchmark. The test was too demanding, had to take some breaks (more than allowed in a real GMAT test), especially in verbal questions.
I was really shocked at the Reading Comprehensions where the subject was too bizarre, I am usually good at those in my high school level but these were really demanding. I had to skip AWA and IR just because I was too tired.

Scored Q32 and V17
Total Score: 420
Target: 700+

Looking for one-stop online resources to cover up these gaps in Quant and Verbal. I am an average student with English as a second language and I've never been great at math.

A little bit about my background:
- Technical professional working 9-6 jobs
- Can spend around 2/3 hours on weekdays and around 4/5 hours on weekends for learning
- Have purchased OG 2021
- Looking for the right courses to opt for to achieve a 700+ score
- Thinking of giving the GMAT by end of July 2021

I was suggested Magoosh for Quant and e-GMAT for Verbal
- Are they a good option for the level of scores I have received ? On a separate note, is there anything better for my score profile ?

Some people have also suggested empowerGMAT, but I am totally confused on what would be best for "me".

Hi proxyshy,

The key to score well on GMAT is to do the prep in the right way. A lot of students do not do that properly and as a result struggle with the prep. You can go through this article to understand the right way to strategize your prep.

And I would suggest you to spend some time in analyzing the free trials of the online courses. Do a proper research, know in an out of them and choose the one which suits you the most. Having said that, there are a few parameters which you should keep in mind while evaluating the courses. You can go through this article to understand a few key factors that you should keep in mind while evaluating the online courses.

Having said that, as you are a working professional, you would want to choose an online course which can help you with a study plan. Because if you are clear of what to study on any given day, it makes life easier for you. But a person who can spend 4 hours a day for studies cannot have the same study plan as a person who can spend just 2 hours a day. So, the study plan has to be personalized, that is, the study plan has to be according to the number of hours one can dedicate for studies. So, I would suggest you to check out the free trial of GMATWhiz and the personalized study plan it provides. And if you wish to have a detailed discussion regarding the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot