Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [7]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 501 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
Re: Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief [#permalink]
Kudos
billionaire wrote:

Nice debrief.

I respect your idea of necessity to score 760+, however if you already are not, you should be aware of few important facts.

Average GMAT score of admitted students at M7 is believe it or not, around 730. :idea:

Here it is the most important fact for you, people get admitted all the time with lower than that, since that is average.

Now I strongly believe that GMAT score higher than that WILL NOT get you admitted in the same way as your current score WILL NOT get you rejected. :idea:

What will you get you admitted or not, is your overall profile, once you satisfied GMAT threshold, which you just did. :idea:

I am only gonna provide you with example of Stanford and Booth :

Stanford GMAT range of accepted students is 610-790

Booth GMAT range of accepted students is 620-790

I believe this is enough for smart guy ;)

Good Luck :cool:

Hi billionaire,

Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback, much appreciated! I understand your perspective and have no doubt that you CV and essays matter a lot but I know my capabilities and that I belong to an over represented community therefore had to do everything in my power to stand out. The data of the mean scores of accepted candidates at top schools is interesting - but think about it, it's average - that means there will be students who got lower than it and then some who got more than it. With my resume and work ex in mind, I know in which category I should be in ;)
But still thank you and I will give it one last shot, if not I will go with whatever I have. Good luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Scored 730 and cancelled it...my debrief [#permalink]
Kudos
Ronaldo7 wrote:
I recently gave my GMAT and scored 730 (V42, Q48). I had set my mind on not accepting anything below 760 so I cancelled it.

Good luck with your retake, Ronado7. You're on a pretty strong footing already.

And being convinced about your potential to get a better score is a strong drive to keep you going.

Just make sure you are also looking into the non-GMAT aspects of the application in parallel i.e. business school research, student/alumni interactions, career goals introspection etc.

A ton of folks delay that part till the last minute, without realising how much time and effort these things can take up.

More power to you for the next attempt!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
ju9999 wrote:
Good luck!! Tips are helpful, thank you :)

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for your kind words and good luck to you too!! I am glad that you find the tips to be helpful :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
DisciplinedPrep wrote:
Congratulations on getting a 730 on the GMAT. You can always reinstate your score, should you choose to. There are a few good insights in your debrief.
All the best for the retake.

Thank you for you kind words. I understand that I can reinstate but I know my potential and if nothing works out there's always that option. I am glad you found the debrief to be helpful :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2221 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Congratulations Ronaldo7 on 730

All the best for your retake.(You can always reinstate your score if you wish to)
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Your story is really inspiring..congratulations on crossing the 700 barrier..730 is an amazing score, and well to cancel it, requires courage..sometimes hardest choices requires strongest will power and this sure proves you have one. You have what it takes and i think you should never settle for anything less. 750! go for it. Wish you goodluck :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ronaldo7 wrote:
Thank you for you kind words. I understand that I can reinstate but I know my potential and if nothing works out there's always that option. I am glad you found the debrief to be helpful :)
That is such a good score! Anyway, you're absolutely right that a cancellation can't hurt you, as you can always reinstate your score.

All the best for the retake!
Ronaldo7 wrote:
Hello Community,

Verbal: During my final stage, I became really comfortable with CR and SC. For CR I would just look for the conclusion and then connect it with the other statements in the passage by thinking their purpose. Once I got a grasp of it I was solving CR questions in ~1 minute with 90% efficiency (for OG and GMATPrep questions).

Ronaldo7
Congrats for your nice score.
Could you explain the highlighted part a bit with the real example from official materials (designed by GMAC), please?
Thanks__
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts