Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Scored poorly on the official mock. Just 3 days to the test. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Tanisha_shasha,

On July 4th, you posted in a thread (here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/need-verbal- ... l#p2088898) that you were planning to take a month off to focus solely on the GMAT. In that thread, you mentioned 3 CAT Scores - but none of the 6 scores that you noted in this thread. Over the last 3.5 weeks, if you took 6 CATs (which is about twice the number you should have taken) and you have been consistently studying 8 hours each day, then I suspect that you're experiencing some 'burn out.' As such, you should NOT plan to do too much studying in the next few days - some light review and practice is fine (but NO CATs and certainly NO 'cramming'). You'd be better served by trying to relax and bit and by getting some extra rest; in that way, you can go into Test Day clear-headed, calm and ready to work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Tanisha, how was your offical exam then?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Send PM
ccooley wrote:
Tanisha_shasha wrote:
Today is a pretty bad day. I have my GMAT on 3rd of August. I scored a dismal 550 on the GMAT prep mock 2. I stared at the screen in shock, cried a little, the result seemed untrue. I have been preparing for GMAT for the past three months in a very dedicated manner. Solves 1000s of questions, worked on the core skills of meaning, prethinking and active reading, however, with just three days to go for the real exam and such low score, my confidence is shattered.

I wouldn't say that I was performing brilliantly on the MGMAT and Official mocks (570, 590, 610, 630, 650), however, the upward trend gave me some hope and I continued studying. I had saved the last GMAT prep mock for today but now I feel shattered. All this has been happening despite me investing 8 hours a day in studying.

I understand that I can't do an overnight miracle to my score. But I have thought of doing the following in the last 3 days
1. Reviewing all my mocks (I am making the most mistakes in SC, which is sad because this used to be my strongest point)
2. Revising Manhattan SC guide.
3. Making a note of silly mistake(I make so many of them on both Q and V)
4. Reviewing all the Quant concepts, formulas and the mistakes done in the past.
5. Practicing positive thinking so that I don't further degrade my score owing to stress.

I have always wanted a 700+ but these scores haven't been very encouraging. I have heard of incidents wherein my friends scored like a 710 on the real thing after scoring 650 or so on the mocks, but it's different for every individual. So I guess for now I'll review mistakes and hope for the best on the G day. If someone can advise me, which may help me maximize my score, please advise.

Have you ever trained for a sporting event (or anything along those lines)? A rule of thumb is that if you do five workouts in a week, one of them will be fantastic, one will be lousy, and the other three will just be 'normal'. When it's time for the actual race, you rest beforehand, etc. in order to make sure you have a fantastic day. But when you're just practicing, sometimes you have good days, sometimes you have bad days, and honestly if that doesn't happen to you, you probably aren't challenging yourself enough.

What I mean is, there's no particular reason to expect every practice test to be better than the one before it, just like you couldn't expect every single workout to be faster or better than the one before. As long as you're generally getting better (stronger, smarter, faster, etc.), then you're doing fine. You just had a lousy day at a bad time.

For your official test, though, you want to take special precautions to make sure you don't have a lousy day. A big part of that is positive thinking, as you mentioned. Another part is mental rest and relaxation. Do a little review in the days before your test - one or two hours a day only. No more practice tests, no new material. Just get yourself ready to do the best you can with the knowledge you have right now.

A race isn't won in the three days before the race - it's won in the months beforehand. You already put that work in, so just relax and put yourself in the best possible position to use that work to get a good score.

Thank you so much for your time. This was a really positive post to read at such a time when things seem to be going down south. Yes, I have been meditating and trying to keep my calm. Perhaps it was a lousy day, and I'll take all the precautions as you mentioned above. Will review, revise and rest.

Thanks again

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22044 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Tanisha_shasha,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your latest mock exam; however, do your best to stay positive!

Since your exam is in only three days, I wouldn’t recommend doing a ton during this time. Keep your studying light. Review flash cards/notes from past topics to ensure knowledge has not slipped through the cracks. I also wouldn’t recommend trying to cram or learn any new material. At this point, piling on new topics would probably hurt more than it would help. I realize that every bone in your body is probably screaming STUDY MORE, but resist the urge. Remember, the best thing you can for yourself is keep your mind and body fresh for test day.

I wrote an article that you may find helpful that has some more advice regarding how to treat the final week leading up to your GMAT as well as some tips for test day.

Let me know how things end up with your GMAT, and please reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Magin24

The original post was from 2018. The poster may not be active on the forums any more.
GMAT Club Bot