Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [23]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [4]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [2]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: SEC has revealed evidence of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
urvi470 Here's a rundown of how the different forms work in this case

Facilitated: In all the choices where it appears, "facilitated" serves as a verb describing what the brokerage house did. (Sometimes past participles (-ed forms) can serve as noun modifiers, but that doesn't happen here.)

Facilitating (no comma): In A, "facilitating" serves as one part of an adverbial modifier (parallel with "delivering"). In this case, the modifier doesn't fit properly into the sentence. Unfortunately, there's no appropriate verb for this phrase to modify. (Sometimes present participles (-ing forms) without commas can serve as noun modifiers, too, but only when they are directly attached to a noun or noun phrase.)

Facilitating (preceded by comma): Present participles (-ing forms) preceded by a comma are almost always adverbial modifiers. In D, the modifier starting with ", facilitating" is definitely an adverbial modifier, showing a result of the previous action. However, notice that it is immediately followed by another adverbial modifier. (See my the correction in my previous post. The sentence doesn't work at all unless we say ", putting small investors at risk."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: SEC has revealed evidence of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Before we get too deep into this one, I should point out that the non-underlined portion needs two little additions to work: a "the" and a comma. It doesn't work without them.

insider trading and massive intra-day trading throughout the last decade, putting small retail investors at risk.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 239
Send PM
Kudos
SEC revealed evidence of a brokerage house..... Wrong. Sec has revealed that the brokerage house was involved in some wrong pratice... Therefore A,C,E are out.

There is no such action and consequence relationship.. hence D out.. Ans B ?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Please explain why is option D incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
Send PM
What is wrong with C?

I found this question tough. I was not able to decode the meaning properly as in what must be the modifiers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
HI,

I have a difficult time understanding the difference and usage of
Facilitated, Facilitating and comma+Facilitating

If comma+Facilitating is used, does it mean that it is showing result here?

Can anyone help?
than you
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
B delivering shares correctly modifies brokerage house and function of facilitate inside trading etc.. and stated clearly

D points out that it delivers shares which in result facilitate inside trading which is not interested ded meaning so D is wrong.
Brokerage house is facilitating inside trading not number of shares

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1089
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V24
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SEC has revealed evidence of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, [#permalink]
We can remove A,C & E as reporting verb "reveal" shold be followed by that.
between B & D

B. that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, delivering about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitated

SEC has revealed evidence that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, delivering about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitated insider trading and massive intra-day trading throughout last decade putting small retail investors at risk.
correct as we have a clause after that.

D. that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co delivered about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitating

SEC has revealed evidence that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co delivered about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitating insider trading and massive intra-day trading throughout last decade putting small retail investors at risk.

No bonafide verb after that so wrong.

expert comment whether my understanding is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
SEC has revealed evidence of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, [#permalink]
Hi DmitryFarber

B. that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, delivering about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitated
D. that a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co delivered about 1.5 million shares daily, facilitating

I chose B on grounds that relative clause absorbed -ing modifier, making the sentence unambiguous, whereas in choice D "facilitating" stands out of prepositional phrase, and can refer to the main SVO "SEC has revealed evidence".

My question: What -ing grammatically modifies if we see construction: [Main SVO] + [that/which relative clause] + [comma + -ing]? Or there is no any grammatical rule on it, but only logica one? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
SEC has revealed evidence of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, delivering about 1.5 million shares daily and facilitating insider trading and massive intra-day trading throughout last decade putting small retail investors at risk.
Decoding Meaning-
SEC has revealed evidence about a brokerage firm that is comparable in size to Stern &Co
The modifier "delivering .." shows the quantum of transactions done by this firm
and in the last part SEC accuses the firm - "facilitating...".

A. of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co, delivering about 1.5 million shares daily and facilitating
the parallelism is not logical and revealed should be followed by that
The intended meaning is clear in the sentence
C. of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co that delivered about 1.5 million shares daily and that facilitated
"That" should follow reveal
here the meaning is distorted: SEC has revealed evidence that the firm committed a fraud via delivering 1.5 mn shares, but the sense of this modifier is to denote quantum of shares handled (to signify how big the firm is and why it is comparable to Stern & co)
E. of a brokerage house as big as Stern & Co delivering about 1.5 million shares daily and that it facilitated
This option breaks parallelism as there is no "that" in the first part.Further stern is not delivering 1.5 mn shares
Hope this helps
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts