Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Investment Banking (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Although mikemcgarry clearly rules on this question with some brilliant answers out there. I would like to add a quick note from my side.

Mike I know you have clarified the confusion between "and" and "or" I am still not getting it completely, may be because it's just the way, we non-natives have been using till date.

Coming back to the question. Let's begin the answer analysis.

A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

- ",but it ran" is illogical and hence the sentence is not parallel with the modifier "Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep"

B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

- CORRECT
- Usage of verb "connected" is correct

C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting

- Missing verb as the word "connecting" is used, making the sentence fragment.

D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected

- usage of "which" is ambigous

E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

- Missing verb as the word "connecting" is used, making the sentence fragment.

Hence, Answer is B

Did you like the answer? Kudos :good
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles a [#permalink]
Although "B" is a correct choice. I wanted to know if someone else can throw a few convincing points about WHY A and C are incorrect? Thanks.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnubhavK wrote:
Although "B" is a correct choice. I wanted to know if someone else can throw a few convincing points about WHY A and C are incorrect? Thanks.

Hello AnubhavK,

I will be glad to help you out with one. :-)

Let's take a look at Choice A:

Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

This choice is incorrect for two reasons:

i. The sentence presents two features of Erie canal that should be parallel to each other - the width and depth of the canal and the length or the extent of stretch of the canal. Although logically parallel, the two features Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York are grammatically not parallel because the former is a phrase while the latter is a clause.

ii. Comma + but ids followed by an independent clause it ran... which is connected to another independent clause the Erie Canal connected... by just a comma. This structure is not grammatical.

Now let's take a look at Choice C:

It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting

This choice is also incorrect for two reason:

i. There is no verb for the subject the Erie Canal.

ii. Use of connector and instead of but takes away the intended contrast mentioned in the original sentence.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
ydmuley wrote:
Although mikemcgarry clearly rules on this question with some brilliant answers out there. I would like to add a quick note from my side.

Mike I know you have clarified the confusion between "and" and "or" I am still not getting it completely, may be because it's just the way, we non-natives have been using till date.

Hello ydmuley,

I would like to present my two cents on the usage of and Vs. but in this official sentence. :-)

The sentence presents a few features of the Erie Canal. This canal ran 363 miles across the upstate New York. But it is not imperative that the canal was 40 feet wide AND 12 feet deep at the same time all across the stretch. At some places it were 40 feet wide, and some places it was not. Similarly, at some places it was 12 feet deep, but not that deep at most of the places.

So it is not that the Erie Canal was seldom 40 deep wide and 12 feet deep at the same time as conveyed by the usage of and. These two conditions did not occur together. It's not that where the canal was 40 feet wide, it was 12 feet deep also. It was any one condition all along the stretch. Hence, use of or makes more sense in the context of this sentence.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT
GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
DmitryFarber
egmat

Dear experts,
could you elaborate, why in the following sentence pronoun "it" refers to the verb "ran" after "comma + and" that split two independent clause ?

It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York,

I have supposed that after "comma + and" ought to be new IC: Noun + Verb. Otherwise we have to remove "comma" before and.

Thank you in advance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
NewKid123 wrote:

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma. See:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
This choice is incorrect.

Hi mikemcgarry

Thanks for the great explanation and numerous replies on the same question to resolve the doubts !!

I still couldn't understand one thing that how does this structure ,but Independent clause, Independent clause creates run-on ?

Isn't the first appearance of 'BUT' is making the sentence 'it ran...' a dependent clause (DC) and overall structure as DC, IC, which is acceptable on GMAT?

Please guide.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BLTN wrote:
CrackVerbalGMAT
GMATNinja
ChiranjeevSingh
DmitryFarber
egmat

Dear experts,
could you elaborate, why in the following sentence pronoun "it" refers to the verb "ran" after "comma + and" that split two independent clause ?

It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York,

I have supposed that after "comma + and" ought to be new IC: Noun + Verb. Otherwise we have to remove "comma" before and.

Thank you in advance.

Hello BLTN,

Thank you for the query. :-)

This is a very common question test-takers ask. Yes, generally, "comma + and" is used to connect two independent clauses. But this is not the only use of this connector. it is also used to connect more than two parallel elements in a list. This structure is very common in official sentences.

Now, because of these rules, especially the first one, we have kind of forgotten the real purpose of a comma In a sentence. A comma is used in a sentence to provide a brief pause so that the reader can assimilate the information in the sentence properly. This is the function of the "comma" we see in Choice C. There is nothing more to it. Yes, Choice C has other errors on the basis of which it can be easily discarded.

We always advise students not to worry so much about commas in the sentence. Please do not accept or reject any answer choice solely on the basis of the presence or the absence of a punctuation mark.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
I still couldn't understand one thing that how does this structure ,but Independent clause, Independent clause creates run-on ?

Isn't the first appearance of 'BUT' is making the sentence 'it ran...' a dependent clause (DC) and overall structure as DC, IC, which is acceptable on GMAT?

Please guide.

Hello aarkay87,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The clauses that preceded and follow the connector "comma + but" are independent clauses. But in Choice A, "comma + but" is NOT preceded by an independent clause. It is merely preceded by a modifier. So, even the clause after "comma + but" is not an independent clause technically.

So, then why there is a structural issue? It is a structural issue because the intended contrast between the width and the depth and the length of the canal has not been presented in a parallel structure. The first part is a phrase while the second part is a clause. The correct answer choice presents both sides of the contrasting information in the form of modifiers. Therefore, parallelism is maintained between them.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
egmat wrote:
aarkay87 wrote:

Please guide.

Hello aarkay87,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The clauses that preceded and follow the connector "comma + but" are independent clauses. But in Choice A, "comma + but" is NOT preceded by an independent clause. It is merely preceded by a modifier. So, even the clause after "comma + but" is not an independent clause technically.

So, then why there is a structural issue? It is a structural issue because the intended contrast between the width and the depth and the length of the canal has not been presented in a parallel structure. The first part is a phrase while the second part is a clause. The correct answer choice presents both sides of the contrasting information in the form of modifiers. Therefore, parallelism is maintained between them.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks, Shraddha egmat

Apologies that my question is not asked in a clear, explicit manner.

As per the explanation by Mike in (Most helpful expert reply) https://gmatclub.com/forum/seldom-more- ... l#p1276298

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma.

which two clauses is he referring to?

I understand the issue of parallelism within modifiers, but unable to exactly pinpoint the run-on in original choice.
See if you can help

Regards
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
aarkay87 wrote:
Thanks, Shraddha egmat

Apologies that my question is not asked in a clear, explicit manner.

As per the explanation by Mike in (Most helpful expert reply) https://gmatclub.com/forum/seldom-more- ... l#p1276298

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma.

which two clauses is he referring to?

I understand the issue of parallelism within modifiers, but unable to exactly pinpoint the run-on in original choice.
See if you can help

Regards

Hey aarkay87,

You are doing fine in explaining questions. :-)

An error can be perceived differently by different people. So, for one expert, comma + but is followed by an independent clause that is connected by another independent clause "the Erie canal connected..." , and therefore, there is a run-on sentence error. How I analyze Choice A I have already presented it to you. So, yes, this choice is incorrect for the basic structure of comma + but....

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

This is a hot mess. We start with a modifier (“seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep”) that needs to describe “the Erie Canal”, but then it takes an eternity to actually get to any mention of the canal. That’s not OK.

Similarly, the pronoun “it” is an awfully long way from its referent (“the Erie Canal”). It can be OK for a pronoun to precede the noun it refers to, but it’s awfully confusing when the “it” is THIS far away from “the Erie Canal.”

Finally, it’s hard to make sense of the phrase beginning with “but.” Logically, I guess the phrase “but it ran 363 miles…” is trying to provide a counterpoint to the fact that the Erie Canal is “seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep.” But it’s not structured correctly: “seldom more than 40 feet wide…” is a modifier, and I don’t think a dependent clause starting with “but” could logically provide a counterpoint for a modifier – the initial phrase would need to be an independent clause, not a modifier.

But even if your eyes glazed over reading that last paragraph, there are plenty of other reasons to eliminate (A). ;)

Quote:
(B) Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

I don’t think this sounds great, but I don’t have a problem with it, either. The entire phrase before the comma is just one big, complicated modifier, telling us more about the Erie Canal: it’s “seldom more than 40 feet wide” but runs "363 miles across upstate New York". Fair enough. All of those things reasonably describe the canal.

If you're skeptical: notice that “but” is doing something different in (B) than in (A). In (A), “but” is followed by “it ran..” – so we have a full clause (dependent, in this case) in (A). In (B), “but” is followed by an “-ing” modifier, “running 363 miles…” – and that “-ing” modifier serves as an adjective that modifies the Erie Canal. That's really not a problem at all: the phrase "running 363 miles..." is parallel to the phrase "seldom more than 40 feet deep...", since they both modify a noun ("the Erie Canal").

I don’t see any other potential issues, so let’s keep (B).

Hi GMATNinja
I was quick to eliminate option B because It uses 'or' between 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep. The canal is both 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep not one of those thing as option B seems to suggest. The other option are a mess as you suggested. So I unwillingly had to settle for option A.
"
Quote:
(B) Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running .....
".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
GMATRockstar wrote:

Hi GMATRockstar

Do we need to have an independent clause between "but"?
.......x.......but........y.........
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

This is a hot mess. We start with a modifier (“seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep”) that needs to describe “the Erie Canal”, but then it takes an eternity to actually get to any mention of the canal. That’s not OK.

Similarly, the pronoun “it” is an awfully long way from its referent (“the Erie Canal”). It can be OK for a pronoun to precede the noun it refers to, but it’s awfully confusing when the “it” is THIS far away from “the Erie Canal.”

Finally, it’s hard to make sense of the phrase beginning with “but.” Logically, I guess the phrase “but it ran 363 miles…” is trying to provide a counterpoint to the fact that the Erie Canal is “seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep.” But it’s not structured correctly: “seldom more than 40 feet wide…” is a modifier, and I don’t think a dependent clause starting with “but” could logically provide a counterpoint for a modifier – the initial phrase would need to be an independent clause, not a modifier.

But even if your eyes glazed over reading that last paragraph, there are plenty of other reasons to eliminate (A). ;)

Quote:
(B) Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected

I don’t think this sounds great, but I don’t have a problem with it, either. The entire phrase before the comma is just one big, complicated modifier, telling us more about the Erie Canal: it’s “seldom more than 40 feet wide” but runs "363 miles across upstate New York". Fair enough. All of those things reasonably describe the canal.

If you're skeptical: notice that “but” is doing something different in (B) than in (A). In (A), “but” is followed by “it ran..” – so we have a full clause (dependent, in this case) in (A). In (B), “but” is followed by an “-ing” modifier, “running 363 miles…” – and that “-ing” modifier serves as an adjective that modifies the Erie Canal. That's really not a problem at all: the phrase "running 363 miles..." is parallel to the phrase "seldom more than 40 feet deep...", since they both modify a noun ("the Erie Canal").

Quote:
(C) It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting

This one is such a hot mess that it’s oddly tricky to explain why it’s such a hot mess.

The first problem here is that the word “it” is an awfully long way from its referent, “the Erie Canal.” It’s OK to have a pronoun precede its referent on the GMAT, but it’s pretty confusing when there’s so much stuff between the “it” and “Erie Canal.”

Another is that the “but” doesn’t really make sense where it’s placed. The sentence is trying to draw a contrast between the canal’s small size (“seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep”) and… well, basically everything else in the sentence, including the fact that it runs 363 miles across the state. So if anything, the “but” needs to be placed BEFORE the phrase “ran 363 miles…”

And then the phrase “but the Erie Canal…” needs a verb somewhere. The sentence starts with an independent clause (“it was seldom more than 40 feet wide…”), and then we have “but” followed by a noun – so we’re going to need a verb next for this to make any sense. And it never happens – we just have more modifiers (“connecting” and “providing”).

But if you just read (C), said “holy poop on a stick, this is a mess”, and crossed it out, that’s cool, too.

Quote:
(D) The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected

It’s pretty easy to eliminate (D) based on the modifier “which connected…” Noun modifiers beginning with "which" generally need to modify the immediately preceding noun (or at least a noun that's reasonably close!). So (D) seems to be saying that either “upstate New York” or maybe “the wilderness of upstate New York” connected the Hudson River to the Great Lakes, and that makes zero sense.

You could also argue that it’s illogical to use “and” to connect the phrase “the Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide…” with “it ran 363 miles.” Ideally, the canal’s small width and depth should be contrasted with its length – so a “but” would be more appropriate.

So (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

This thing is basically just a string of modifiers and dependent clauses, and it isn’t actually a sentence at all. We have: “The Erie Canal, (modifier), (dependent clause), (modifier), (modifier).” Not cool.

So we can eliminate (E), and we’re left with (B), even though it arguably sounds kinda funny. :?

GMATNinja In option B, aren't two dependent clauses being connected with a coordinating junction, "But" ? Aren't only independent clauses supposed to be connected with coordinating junctions? egmat Bunuel
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
LakerFan24
I'd encourage you to approach SC with a bit more humility, especially when looking at official questions. This isn't just Mike's take--it's normal usage of conjunctions in English. If we want to say that something is not X and not Y, the standard way to say that is "it is not x or y." I'm not quite sure how to apply your example, but to use the original, the idea is that the canal isn't often 40' wide AND it isn't often 12' deep. A/C/E are all saying that the canal isn't often BOTH 40' wide and 12' deep at the same time, but it leaves open the possibility of one or the other, and that doesn't make sense in this context. (It's also worth noting that none of A/C/E are valid regardless of the conjunction--all have other serious flaws--but the AND is definitively wrong all by itself.)

One potential source of confusion here may stem from the word OR. Keep in mind that this word can have both exclusive and inclusive meanings. An exclusive OR means that only one option is going to happen ("You can keep the books or return them"). However, often OR is used inclusively: "This program is for people who need to improve their quant or verbal scores." What if you need to improve both? That's fine. So if we say "not x or y," does that preclude "not x AND not y"? On the contrary, it implies exactly that. If I am not asleep or underwater, then I am also not asleep AND underwater. For positive cases, it's more open-ended. If everyone in my class is either happy or busy, then it could be the case that everyone is just one or the other, or it could be that some or all of the people are both happy and busy. That's an inclusive OR.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditijain1507 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
(C) It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting

This one is such a hot mess that it’s oddly tricky to explain why it’s such a hot mess.

The first problem here is that the word “it” is an awfully long way from its referent, “the Erie Canal.” It’s OK to have a pronoun precede its referent on the GMAT, but it’s pretty confusing when there’s so much stuff between the “it” and “Erie Canal.”

Another is that the “but” doesn’t really make sense where it’s placed. The sentence is trying to draw a contrast between the canal’s small size (“seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep”) and… well, basically everything else in the sentence, including the fact that it runs 363 miles across the state. So if anything, the “but” needs to be placed BEFORE the phrase “ran 363 miles…”

And then the phrase “but the Erie Canal…” needs a verb somewhere. The sentence starts with an independent clause (“it was seldom more than 40 feet wide…”), and then we have “but” followed by a noun – so we’re going to need a verb next for this to make any sense. And it never happens – we just have more modifiers (“connecting” and “providing”).

But if you just read (C), said “holy poop on a stick, this is a mess”, and crossed it out, that’s cool, too.

Quote:
(D) The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected

It’s pretty easy to eliminate (D) based on the modifier “which connected…” Noun modifiers beginning with "which" generally need to modify the immediately preceding noun (or at least a noun that's reasonably close!). So (D) seems to be saying that either “upstate New York” or maybe “the wilderness of upstate New York” connected the Hudson River to the Great Lakes, and that makes zero sense.

You could also argue that it’s illogical to use “and” to connect the phrase “the Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide…” with “it ran 363 miles.” Ideally, the canal’s small width and depth should be contrasted with its length – so a “but” would be more appropriate.

So (D) is out.

Quote:
(E) The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

This thing is basically just a string of modifiers and dependent clauses, and it isn’t actually a sentence at all. We have: “The Erie Canal, (modifier), (dependent clause), (modifier), (modifier).” Not cool.

So we can eliminate (E), and we’re left with (B), even though it arguably sounds kinda funny. :?

GMATNinja In option B, aren't two dependent clauses being connected with a coordinating junction, "But" ? Aren't only independent clauses supposed to be connected with coordinating junctions? egmat Bunuel

Hello aditijain1507,

We hope this finds you well.

Having gone through the question and your query, we believe we can resolve your doubt.

"Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep" and "running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York" are two modifying phrases joined into one; this is an acceptable use of a coordinating conjunction. Further, coordinating conjunctions cannot be used on their own to join independent clauses; they must be preceded by a comma to form the "comma + conjunction" construction.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
NewKid123 wrote:
Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo, providing the port of New York City with a direct water link to the heartland of the North American continent.
A. Seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
B. Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected
C. It was seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, and ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, but the Erie Canal, connecting
D. The Erie Canal was seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep and it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected
E. The Erie Canal, seldom more than 40 feet wide and 12 feet deep, but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, connecting

Dear NewKid123
I'm happy to help with this one. :-) I like this question. What's the source?

(A) we have a modifier "seldom more than ..." in parallel with an independent clause "it ran ....", a failure of parallelism. Then, we get a run-on sentence --- two independent clauses separated only by a comma. See:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/916-run-on-sentences
This choice is incorrect.

(B) [modifier] "but" [modifier], [subject][verb] .... all correct. This is promising.

(C) "It was ..." (independent clause), "and ran" (verb in parallel, so far, so good), "but the Erie canal" [modifier][modifier]
This is a failure of parallelism --- after that comma and "but", we need either a full verb or a complete independent clause, and we get neither. For more on parallelism, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/parallelis ... orrection/
This is incorrect.

(D) Misplaced modifier!! A classic mistake!! "... the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, which connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo ..." The canal did that connecting, not the wilderness of upstate NY. The canal is the intended modifier, but the modifier is nowhere near the canal. This is a violation of the Modifier Touch Rule --- see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

(E) The missing verb mistake!! Another oldie but goodie!! This choice has modifier after modifier --- it has a perfectly good subject, "The Erie Canal" at the beginning, but this subject has absolutely no verb. There is no full verb anywhere in the sentence, only participial modifiers. See
https://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake

Thus, the only completely correct choice, and hence the only possible answer, is (B).

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So (D) is out.

Quote:

GMATNinja please could you explain how in option (A) is "it ran 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York" after the "but" a dependent clause? It appears, to me, an Independent clause as it doesn't seem to depend on any information? While read by itself "it ran 363 miles..," conveys a complete idea so shouldn't it be an Independent clause?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts