Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [9]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Re: The department defines a private passenger vehicle as one registered [#permalink]
C for me
A) as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
seems like individuals weight <8000 pounds
(B) to be one that is registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
Same as in A
(C) as one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
CORRECT
(D) to have a gross weight less than 8,000 pounds and being registered to an individual
being..
(E) as having a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds and registered to an individual
Guys i know "having" is wrong, but can one give a grammatical explanation as to why its wrong
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Re: The department defines a private passenger vehicle as one registered [#permalink]
Clearly (C) distinguishes between the car and the individual as having a gross weight of over 8000 pounds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
I am not sure about the usage of 'to be one' and 'as one'.

Lets say options were:

(B) to be one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.

(C) as one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.

Now, please explain which one you would have chosen? :?

Regards,
Brajesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
C is my Choice because defines is used "as" . so it is best option acc. to me
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
stolyar wrote:
The department defines a private passenger vehicle as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.
(A) as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.
(B) to be one that is registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.
(C) as one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.
(D) to have a gross weight less than8,000 pounds and being registered to an individual.
(E) as having a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds and registered to an individual.

IMO IN OPTION C.
ONE and THAT(together) ===>THIS IS REDUNDANT.
ALTHOUGH option C is the best of lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Option C is the best !

D & E - ruled out for HAVING and BEING
A & B - says that a person with a gross weight of 8000 lbs.

C clearly uses a conjunction and best of the lot.

Remember, we are picking the best of the lot in sentence correction..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Options A and B cracked me up. hahaha. Answer is C! :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The department defines a private passenger vehicle as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds.
(A) as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds. (What!! IF an individual has a gross weight less than 8000 pound, then his vehicle will be called private passenger vehicle)----- nonsensical
(B) to be one that is registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds. ( Define only takes "AS" --IDIOM--)
(C) as one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds. (//ism----that and that correct)
(D) to have a gross weight less than8,000 pounds and being registered to an individual.
(E) as having a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds and registered to an individual.

Your KUDOS will inspire me to post more explanations .
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
bewakoof wrote:

(A) as one registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
(B) to be one that is registered to an individual with a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
(C) as one that is registered to an individual and that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
(D) to have a gross weight less than 8,000 pounds and being registered to an individual
(E) as having a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds and registered to an individual

IMHO (C) uses correct parallelism structure...

The department defines a private passenger vehicle as one
that is registered to an individual
and
that has a gross weight of less than 8,000 pounds
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
to be, having and being is quite avoidable in GMAT.
So that get rid of 3 options : )
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
ans c \ In E option having and registered are not parallel because having is a modifier and registered is verb
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Dear GC Experts,

Could you please explain how 'that' modifies 'one', 'one' refers to 'passenger',
passenger person right? 'that' cannot modify person'

I understand that from parallelism stand point C is the best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Kudos
GKomoku wrote:
Dear GC Experts,

Could you please explain how 'that' modifies 'one', 'one' refers to 'passenger',

one refers to the passenger vehicle not to 'passenger'.
Hope that helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [0]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
pzgupta wrote:
GKomoku wrote:
Dear GC Experts,

one refers to the passenger vehicle not to 'passenger'.
Hope that helps :)

:facepalm:

my missing point, thanks man pzgupta
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts