It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Aug 2013
Posts: 8

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User
In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 23:08
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (00:43) correct 35% (00:49) wrong based on 234 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the country of Zabaria to about 20 million tons, nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 harvest.

A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001
C. nearly 40 percent
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Abhishek009 on 04 Jun 2017, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.
Underlined

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 21

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2015, 23:39
2
This post received
KUDOS
What was less than what? It was the agricultural production that turned forty percent less in 2002 from that of 2001.

The second point is ‘production’ is a collective noun that is singular. So now we have to use ‘less than’.

Thirdly, the production has to be compared with another production and not a year.


A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 ---- ‘those of’ – production is singular; hence it should be ‘that of’
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001 --- production compared with a year; wrong
C. nearly 40 percent –means that the overall production was only 40 percent rather than 40 percent less.
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001 – fewer than is wrong for mass noun
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001--- correct choice
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3103

Kudos [?]: 1139 [1], given: 327

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 01:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
GMATY14 wrote:
In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the country of Zabaria to about 20 million tons, nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 harvest.

A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001
C. nearly 40 percent
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001



Find the things compared - Here agricultural production of country Zabaria in 2002 is compared with the agricultural production of country Zabaria in 2001

Only option (E) compares production of country Zabaria in 2002 to that of production of country Zabaria in 2001

Hence option (E) is the correct answer !!

I found a very useful book from this forum , uploading it here once again for clearing all the concepts relatedd to comparison on GMAT SC , hope you find it useful
Attachments

Comparison theory %26 question_Lucy 0911.pdf [919.19 KiB]
Downloaded 92 times

To download please login or register as a user


_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1139 [1], given: 327

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Posts: 3

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 01:22
in option "b", production of 2002 is compared with the harvest of 2001. so can kindly tell suggest me Y option b is wrong?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Jul 2012
Posts: 219

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 65

Location: India
Concentration: Finance
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 06:14
In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the country of Zabaria to about 20 million tons, nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 harvest.

A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 (Production is singular. Therefore usage of those is wrong)
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001 (Wrong comparison of production with year)
C. nearly 40 percent (No Comparison)
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001 (Fewer is used for numbers)
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001 (Correct)

Kudos please if you like my explanation!
_________________

Kindly hit kudos if my post helps!

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 65

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3219

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 03:39
axay wrote:
in option "b", production of 2002 is compared with the harvest of 2001. so can kindly tell suggest me Y option b is wrong?



Option B implies that the 2002 production was less than the year 2001, not the production of the year 2001.

Kudos [?]: 3622 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 197

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 20:48
sayantanc2k wrote:
axay wrote:
in option "b", production of 2002 is compared with the harvest of 2001. so can kindly tell suggest me Y option b is wrong?



Option B implies that the 2002 production was less than the year 2001, not the production of the year 2001.


Hi sayantanc2k,

Option B implies 2002 production is less than 2001 harvest. Please note "harvest" in the non underlined portion of the sentence.

Option E implies 2002 production is less than production of the 2001 harvest. What does production of harvest means?

Hence, (B) is correct.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 373

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 21:04
daagh wrote:
What was less than what? It was the agricultural production that turned forty percent less in 2002 from that of 2001.

The second point is ‘production’ is a collective noun that is singular. So now we have to use ‘less than’.

Thirdly, the production has to be compared with another production and not a year.


A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 ---- ‘those of’ – production is singular; hence it should be ‘that of’
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001 --- production compared with a year; wrong
C. nearly 40 percent –means that the overall production was only 40 percent rather than 40 percent less.
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001 – fewer than is wrong for mass noun
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001--- correct choice


Hi,
Can you please elaborate on "‘production’ is a collective noun that is singular. So now we have to use ‘less than’. "

So the rule would be "less for collective singular" and "fewer for countable nouns" ? Just wanted to clarify this gap in understanding for future application!

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 373

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 475

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 05:05
I don't know why Experts daagh and souvik101990 are missing the word Harvest - Harvest is nothing but production .
In B .
It is clearly comparing production to 2001 harvest. .

So please can you tell me why B is wrong. ?

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Top Contributor
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 4321

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 07:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
Nightmare: I fully agree with you. I did miss the word 'harvest'. The problem was because this is a poor carbon copy of a similar OG question cited herein.(OG 13 Q9).
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest
(B) less than the 1978 harvest
(C) less than 1978
(D) fewer than 1978
(E) fewer than that of India's 1978 harvest

The official choice is B. Please note the word harvest is underlined in the official prompt.
The second more important problem is that the original poster in this forum had forgotten to underline the error part such that the word harvest was obscured in memory.

I fully acknowledge that harvest in this context is synonymous with production. (Although not so in actual reality. You see, what all is produced may not be harvested. Because there will be always some loss due to pests, floods, and other natural phenomena such s process loss in the form of shedding etc. However, this distinction is irrelevant to us.

In this context, in the given choice E, it is not clear what the relative pronoun 'that' is standing for. It is redundant. I will concur that B is the best choice.
_________________

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8308 [2], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 475

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2017, 07:38
daagh wrote:
Nightmare: I fully agree with you. I did miss the word 'harvest'. The problem was because this is a poor carbon copy of a similar OG question cited herein.(OG 13 Q9).
In 1979 lack of rain reduced India's rice production to about 41 million tons, nearly 25 percent less than those of the 1978 harvest.

(A) less than those of the 1978 harvest
(B) less than the 1978 harvest
(C) less than 1978
(D) fewer than 1978
(E) fewer than that of India's 1978 harvest

The official choice is B. Please note the word harvest is underlined in the official prompt.
The second more important problem is that the original poster in this forum had forgotten to underline the error part such that the word harvest was obscured in memory.

I fully acknowledge that harvest in this context is synonymous with production. (Although not so in actual reality. You see, what all is produced may not be harvested. Because there will be always some loss due to pests, floods, and other natural phenomena such s process loss in the form of shedding etc. However, this distinction is irrelevant to us.

In this context, in the given choice E, it is not clear what the relative pronoun 'that' is standing for. It is redundant. I will concur that B is the best choice.


Thank you sir, I did not mean to offend you. am a big fan of yours so it became a habit of me to read your explanations which are more accurate and easy to understand.

:)

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 52

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 07 Jun 2017
Posts: 21

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 04:08
Thanks daagh for helping resolve the confusion.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Posts: 130

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 142

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 04:31
GMATY14 wrote:
In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the country of Zabaria to about 20 million tons, nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001 harvest.

A. nearly 40 percent less than those of the 2001
B. nearly 40 percent less than the 2001
C. nearly 40 percent
D. nearly 40 percent fewer than the 2001
E. nearly 40 percent less than that of the 2001




THE CORRECT ANSWER CHOICE HERE IS B
Because it clearly compares the production to the 2001 HARVEST. Note that the HArvest word is not underlined.

E is incorrect here for the same reason. Many people missed out on the non-underlined word 'Harvest.'
Note that the usage of 'that' in option E is unclear.

Is there a way to change the Official Answer to B here. Many people will feel disheartened when they choose the right answer but it displays as wrong here.
_________________

A KUDO = A Thank-you. If this post helped you, please send a KUDO across.

YOU CAN LEARN ANYTHING!
MY GMAT BLOG ---> https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-fitness-mat-some-music-few-books-and-the-gmat-245808.html

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 142

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 186

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2017, 10:28
So B is the correct answer.

can anyone update the correct answer?

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Re: In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2017, 10:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

In 2002 lack of resources reduced the agricultural production of the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.