Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Sentence correction help [#permalink]
I think first go and read basic and advance English grammar then go for MGMAT.
It helped me to improve my accuracy and to understand explanation better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
 Q50  V35
Send PM
I was in the same boat a month back. I was not able to get even 50% of the questions right. So here is what I did:

I first read the "Princeton Verbal Review, 2nd edition" book. This book is OK, good for beginners like us :). I solved all the SC questions from it and got almost 50% of those right. I read the official explanation of ALL the questions (including those I had got right). This improved my accuracy level to 60%.

Then I started with MGMAT SC guide. I followed the same strategy, read the official explanation for ALL the questions. I also posted all questions, for which I could not understand the OA, on GMAT Club. This improved my accuracy level to around 75%.

I think it is more important to understand the concepts than practice. So might want to revisit the strategies and make sure that you have understood the concepts of SC, before you start solving the questions again.

Hope this helps. Pardon me if I have restated few things which you may already know, but I am just trying to help. :gl
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hgp2k wrote:
I was in the same boat a month back. I was not able to get even 50% of the questions right. So here is what I did:

I first read the "Princeton Verbal Review, 2nd edition" book. This book is OK, good for beginners like us :). I solved all the SC questions from it and got almost 50% of those right. I read the official explanation of ALL the questions (including those I had got right). This improved my accuracy level to 60%.

Then I started with MGMAT SC guide. I followed the same strategy, read the official explanation for ALL the questions. I also posted all questions, for which I could not understand the OA, on GMAT Club. This improved my accuracy level to around 75%.

I think it is more important to understand the concepts than practice. So might want to revisit the strategies and make sure that you have understood the concepts of SC, before you start solving the questions again.

Hope this helps. Pardon me if I have restated few things which you may already know, but I am just trying to help. :gl

Thanks a lot.....great information
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
hmm. I am in the same boat. I get around 60-70% SC correct. For that matter I normally get 65% right for the entire verbal section.
I just went through MGMAT SC. Its a good book but I dont think you can grasp everything in one shot. I am planning to go through it again in a couple of weeks.
I am also planning to do 1000 SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
ISBtarget wrote:
Hi

Need help with Sentence correction, doing pretty badly even after going throught the MGMAT SC guide twice.....i had only 4 questions correction out of 15 in my mock test ......even solving only 50% of the practice questions correctly....

losing confidence...any strategy to help me out....

When I started, I was probably worse than you are now.

The best strategy to get better and quickly improve your SC abilities is to follow the postigs in GMATCLUB deligiently. The best way to get better is to help others get better. Even if you are struggling with SC, make a sincere effort to contribute to each and every discussion in this forum.
I bet you will see the difference in your SC abilities within 2 weeks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
ISBtarget , if u find any impprovement, the do let me know, i too bad in this stuff.. :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
all the best guys 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
In regards to the original question, what strategies do users actually employ when faced with a tougher SC problem?

I'm a native speaker and have done reasonably well by basically sounding things out and using some intuition, but I feel to really break into the upper end of sentence correction, one must use a bit more of a systematic approach.

A checklist idea advocated by materials seems unnatural and potentially time consuming. Is there a middle ground that anyone uses?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jstauning wrote:
In regards to the original question, what strategies do users actually employ when faced with a tougher SC problem?

I'm a native speaker and have done reasonably well by basically sounding things out and using some intuition, but I feel to really break into the upper end of sentence correction, one must use a bit more of a systematic approach.

A checklist idea advocated by materials seems unnatural and potentially time consuming. Is there a middle ground that anyone uses?

Hi

After my sentence correction prep, gave a gmat prep test, scoredd 50 in quants and 38 in verbal...out of 10 wrong answers in verbal 9 are sentence correction

Someone could help me......something wrong with my prep approach

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts