Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618905 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 184 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1527 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Re: Set C is a set of positive integers where 4 is least. If the average [#permalink]
septwibowo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Set C is a set of positive integers where 4 is least. If the average (arithmetic mean) of C equals its range, then how many positive integers does set C have?

(1) The elements in C are consecutive integers.

(2) The average (arithmetic mean) of C is 8.

When I read the question, I thought that we MUST HAVE all positive integers, since the least is 4 (and also the Q is stated that Set C is a set of POSITIVE integers)

Maybe this is the question that tests is the Set C consist of ALL Integers or NOT ALL integers?

1. Automatically sufficient.
2. Average 8 is not always resulted from of one set of ALL integers. Not sufficient.

A.

But I am not sure with my answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi septwibowo
The question is asking How many integers i.e. count of no of elements in set C. Hence it is not about whether the elements are integer or not. Even if they are not, then also we will get a count.

First term is \(4\), let the last term be \(T_n\) and let the number of element be \(n\). Given \(T_n-4=Average=\frac{Sum}{n}, or Sum = n(T_n-4)\)

Statement 1: Approach 1:

this implies that the set is an AP with common difference of \(1\). Sum of an AP series \(= \frac{n}{2}(first term+Last term)\)

or \(n(T_n-4)=\frac{n}{2}(T_n+4)\) or \(T_n=12\)

So the element will be from \(4\) to \(12\) i.e \(9\) Sufficient

Approach 2: as the elements are consecutive, the average will be the middle number and as average is an integer, hence number of elements will be ODD. so you can simply list down numbers starting from 4 to arrive at a set 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12, with 8 as average = range (12-4)

Statement 2: implies \(T_n-4=8\) or \(T_n=12\), so Set C can have only two element {4,12} or can be {4,5,6,7,8,...12}. Hence Insufficient

Option A
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Set C is a set of positive integers where 4 is least. If the average [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts