It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 14:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17405 [4], given: 232

Re: CR: treaty [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2010, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mundasingh123 wrote:

karishma dont u think D is a paraphrase of the stimulus

Actually, I think the stimulus and option (D) say different things.

Stimulus says: All 7 had to perform specified actions on a fixed date simultaneously. Each country was to notify six others when it had completed its action.

(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action.

D says that one country initiated its actions only after it received a signal from other countries that they had completed their actions. This is against the simultaneous specification of the treaty mentioned in the stimulus.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17405 [4], given: 232

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 57

WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2010, 23:45
man i fell for choice (D) too, but after reading Karishma's explanation, i have a better understanding now... +1 to you.

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 57

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 05:43
A.
Though there is a fixed time when each action has to start, it is conditional on the actions of other countries and hence a

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 6

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 14:07
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 109

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 09:56
I narrowed the choices down to C and D.

On further analysis, I thought C is the best. In fact, it's the only one that really makes sense. D is simply paraphrasing the initial statement.

petrifiedbutstanding

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 27

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 11

WE 1: Software Design and Development

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2011, 12:55
IMO C

Argument : If you love long trips, you love the GMAT.
Conclusion : GMAT is long journey.

What does the author assume ?
Assumption : A long journey is a long trip.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2011, 22:39
C it is

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 44

Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 04:10
+1 C

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Kudos [?]: 722 [0], given: 44

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2011, 22:33
C is the only option that can go against the treaty.

all other options are well covered in the treaty

+1 for C

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 23

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Reviews Badge
Re: Seven countries signed a treaty binding [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2012, 01:26
ykaiim wrote:
I couldnt understand this stimulus as no conclusion is present.
In the end it asked for open threads and I chose E.
As per E -
there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete.

If one country didnt complete the action onbefore time then it wouldnt intimate other countries and similarly there is slippage in other countries date.

SudiptoGmat wrote:
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.
The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that
(A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty
(B) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required
(C) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance
(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action
(E) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete

Ditto the same rreasoning I got and picked E ... actually C & E both kind of a probable one's ...

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2012, 11:47
Nicely explaination. Thanks & Kudos Karishma :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 121

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 2
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2012, 17:48
I got it right on C. All other choices are irrelevant and consume largely the reader's consideration. Tips: Find the most relevant answer. Skip those long sentences but irrelevant to the passage. Save time and get the answer straight

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: HBS '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 06:51
yogesh1984 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
I couldnt understand this stimulus as no conclusion is present.
In the end it asked for open threads and I chose E.
As per E -
there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete.

If one country didnt complete the action onbefore time then it wouldnt intimate other countries and similarly there is slippage in other countries date.

SudiptoGmat wrote:
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.
The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that
(A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty
(B) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required
(C) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance
(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action
(E) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete

Ditto the same rreasoning I got and picked E ... actually C & E both kind of a probable one's ...

same here ... still didn't understand the reason behind choosing C ...

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 349

Expert Post
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 19:06
The reasoning behind C is that the treaty is binding on a country only when actions are taken by other countries but the actions taken are supposed to be simultaneous. For the sake of simplicity, given two countries A and B, you may have the situation where A is waiting for B to take action and B is waiting for A to take action and so actually simultaneous actions can never be performed. So each country can give the excuse that the condition of compliance was not met and hence is not bound by the treaty.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna
http://www.sravnatestprep.com/regularcourse.php

Pay After Use
Standardized Approaches

Kudos [?]: 519 [0], given: 16

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2013, 05:11
SudiptoGmat wrote:

Hi,

As per discussion above, I think everyone agrees with option C as the contender for answer choice; however, some consider option E as the strongest contender and thus the answer choice.

Let's read option E with the question stem:

The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete.

Does the ambiguity arise due to the simultaneous provision? The answer is no. This simultaneous provision doesn't bring in any ambiguity with respect to the dates; it only makes it possible that none of the countries would do it since the action of one is contingent on the action of all others.

Thus, the answer to this is option C.

Hope this helps :)

Feel free to ask in case further clarity is required.

Meanwhile, dont forget to attend the SC session on Saturday. Please find the link below:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9074 [0], given: 335

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 72

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2013, 00:18
I thought D initially as well but after reading Karishma's explanation, C makes more sense. D is almost saying the opposite of the premise. If a country initiated action only after being notified that another country had completed action, then it's impossible for the countries to have acted simultaneously.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 72

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

WE: Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2013, 05:18
Initially thought D as the answer. But now I understand that the question stem is asking for a possible flaw in the reasoning. And C opens up that gap in the argument. Correct me guys if I am wrong.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

"Pay attention to every detail"

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 24

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

Schools: Fuqua (I), AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 10:57
"with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries"

I didn't quite understand the stem. Are the actions parallel or in series? I would understand that simultaneous = at the same time. If it otherwise means that one country HAS to wait for another country's notification, then C would make sense to me.

Could any one help me out?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 10

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2014, 19:12
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 59

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2015, 06:26
Can some one explain what does it mean: "with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries."

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 59

Re: Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2015, 06:26

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap