Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5428 [169]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [28]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [7]
Send PM
Re: Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise mos [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Will go with E

errors marked in red
(A) have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary
(B) have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do
(C) have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack, or less, than those who are sedentary do
(D) are at least fifty percent less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary

(E) are at least fifty percent less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack

correct
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [3]
Send PM
Re: Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise mos [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
a) 'as those' is wrong. We need 'than those' for comparisons

b) 'who are sedentary do' --> the last 'do' is not nescessary as it results in bad comparison

c) bad comparison. Sounds like comparing chances of survival to number of inactive people.

d) are at least fifty percent less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary

e) people who are most active .... than those who are sendentary.... --> good comparison

E for me
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
The objection to A, B and C is that they use a word such as chance to denote a matter of death. Chance is said to be a happy word that one uses in such positive expressions as having a chance of becoming the President, or having chance of getting into Wharton or Harvard etc. One will do well to say that people run or have the risk of death or accident.
It is this improper diction that eliminates the first three choices and it may not have much to do with grammar as such.

and what do you have to say between D and E?
thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Between D and E, D can be dropped like a hot potato for using “less likely to die of a heart attack as those”. It has to be “less likely than” . E therefore is the choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
A. have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary
half or less than half is just wordy//less than..as
B. have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do.
Awkward, Wordy, Comma splice ", or less", "who are sedantary do" doesn't make any sense.
C. have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack or less, than those who are sedentary do.
Awakward. Can heart attack be less?
D. are at least 50 % less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.
less..as
E. are at least 50% less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack.
Correct!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
1.The reason why A,B, and C are out is that, they use a positive but questionable term ‘chance’ for describing a negative factors such as dying of a heart attack. It is customary to use chance with happy and positive events such as winning a jackpot or getting admission into the Whartons or the Harvards etc. For such unsavory phenomena as dying, risk is the fitting term

2. D uses wrong idiom – less likely as

3. If the phrase “who are sedentary to die of a heart attack" is misplaced in E, where else can we fit in that better? You can not, in my opinion. Therefore sgupta0827 is right in saying that others have more serious errors and lack style.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [6]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
In this particular usage, "likely" should be followed by "to." Note that "to" appears in both D and E, just in slightly different spots. D uses the incorrect "less likely to die as," while E uses the correct "less likely than." However, if you skip over that comparison, we still have "less likely to die."

Of course, it's fine to use "likely" without "to" at all, if it is serving as an adjective: "She is a likely candidate for mayor."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
marine wrote:
Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise most actively have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.

(A) have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary

(B) have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do

(C) have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack, or less, than those who are sedentary do

(D) are at least fifty percent less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary

(E) are at least fifty percent less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack

daagh
need few clarifications,plz help :
i understood your point of chance being a happy word but lets assume it doesnot strike me in exam.

is b worng because it uses do
it should be have ,right?
who exercise have the chance than those who are sedentary have --- is correct

who exercise have the chance than those who are sedentary do --- is incorrect bcz do stands fr verb which is have so wrong
am i right?
Also original sentence means they have less than 50 percent chance but E means atleast 50 so 50 or greater ,isnot it anamoly
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
marine wrote:
Several studies have found that the coronary patients who exercise most actively have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary.

The meaning from the original sentence is that the chance is 50% or less.
D and E change the likelihood to 50% or more.
How can any of those be the correct answers ?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
navderm Two things here:

1) "Changes the meaning" is not an objection we want to run with. There's nothing special about answer choice A. If A is wrong, we could just as well say that it changes the meaning.

2) The meaning doesn't actually change, anyway! A-C say that the chance of death for active exercisers is "half or less" that for sedentary patients. D and E say that active exercisers are at least 50% less likely to die than sedentary patients. What's left when we reduce a chance by at least 50%? 50% or less! It's the same thing. For instance, if the chance for sedentary patients is 20%, A-C says the chance for exercisers is 10% or less. D and E say the chance for active exercisers is 50% or more less than 10%, so that's 20% - 10% or more, for a result of 10% or less.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 403
GRE 1: Q169 V162
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Doesn't E, change the meaning aspect ?? Look at the 1st-Main Sentence, it say half or less, which means maximum half, whereas 'E' mentions "at least half....." meaning more than half. Isn't it contradictory ?? if meaning aspect to be taken care of , of GMAT is concerned
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Arunesh9 wrote:
Doesn't E, change the meaning aspect ?? Look at the 1st-Main Sentence, it say half or less, which means maximum half, whereas 'E' mentions "at least half....." meaning more than half. Isn't it contradictory ?? if meaning aspect to be taken care of , of GMAT is concerned

Hi Arunesh9, E says:

are at least fifty percent less likely

which means....

50% less likely to die of a heart attack (this is half the chance of dying of a heart attack)
or
51% less likely to die of a heart attack (this means 49% chance of dying of a heart attack. This is less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack)
or
52% less likely to die of a heart attack (this means 48% chance of dying of a heart attack. This is less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack)
---
---
and so on.

So, E is also saying: half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
(A) have half or less than half the chance of dying of a heart attack as those who are sedentary -- Frankly I cant figure out whats wrong in this. But E is just way better and concise. Eliminate.

(B) have half the chance, or less, of dying of a heart attack than those who are sedentary do -- "of less" placement is incorrect. It should modify "half" and not "chance". Further, "or less" is incomplete itself. The correct idiom is "less than"

(C) have half the chance that they will die of a heart attack, or less, than those who are sedentary do -- same as B.

(D) are at least fifty percent less likely to die of a heart attack as those who are sedentary -- "as those" is incorrect. Should be "than". "less... than" is the correct usage.

(E) are at least fifty percent less likely than those who are sedentary to die of a heart attack -- Correct.

Can someone please check my POE?

IanStewart AndrewN - I remember both of you had posted sometime back in a question, the crux of which I basically remember that "as... as" was in itself a complete idiom and hence "as as" was the correct usage (if at all we had to use "as"). I'm applying the same logic here while looking at "less", which is correctly used as "less....than"

I got the answer right but eventually I narrowed it down to E and A. I'm kinda worried that i'm the lone one who gets to A/E instead of D/E lol.

Helpful if you can comment on my POE. Thank you!
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [6]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos