Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 477 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: shame on me.. [#permalink]
vaka wrote:
hello, guys,
I took the test yesterday and was surprised on one hand but on the other hand I must admit that I was not prepared indeed.
I got as low as 510!
I felt I was prepared in math and thought that my lack of RC skills will be compensated by relatively good performance in CR and SC. Wrong.
The test itself apeared not very hard, SC and CR were much more easier than those posted by Mikhail, Praetorian and other cool guys.
Anyway I focused too much on first 12 questions in math and did them with 1-2 or no mistake I believe. Though I spent to much time on the problem (ratios) which I felt was too simple but which I could not solve. You want to know why? I made an error in calculation: 4x14 and I got 64 instead of 54!! Just imagine that stupid mistake. :? I answered it right at last, but I ended up with more than 12 questions at hand at the end of the math section when time was almost up!! Imagine how I felt seeing the problem I could 100% answer right but had to guess for no time left for calculations!!
I got a paltry 37 in math.
Verbal was not hard, though RC screwed everything up. Of course I must have made some mistakes in SC or perhaps in CR but one of the passages in RC I answered totally wrong. I failed to understand a key fact from the text and all the questions I aswered afterwards were wrong. :(
Anyway, Misha, Praetorian, dj, vicky and many many others, thank you for help. You all are the champions, top BS's are waiting for you. As for me, I have already applied to Stuttagrt Institute of Management and Technology. Did not even think of applying to US. I am waiting for ETS to send my score report to SIMT, who knows may be they will accept me (their minimal score is 500). In general (but for gmat) my application is strong (gpa's, 4 years of finance-related experience and strong recommendations). I still hope.
Good luck everybody!!! :wink:

Val

you deserve more.

i would request you to take it again,vicky did it and i am sure he is glad

he did..and i request you to consider it...

i had that feeling about vicks, and i have the feeling about you..you can

do way way better than this.

Good luck, friend.

Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vaka
Allow me to say few words.
I can fully understand how dejected one feels after putting months of practise and then getting a bad score.
I am sure u can easily crack the GMAT.. just because of this don't apply to low rank univ's.
Practise more. I guess what got u were the first few quant questions and u wasted lot of time on them.
Next time, u will be much calmer and focused. Practise more on CR and verbal. Also before the test days dont overwork yourself.
Get up man and give again.
Life has ups and downs, dont let one "strange" (many more things that i dont want to say on this club...) exam dictate your future goals and ambitions.
praet is right i am glad that i took again and so is mikhail...
The same message to AD.
AD, i am sorry i was not able to post to ur message...
never give up if u believe u can..!!
vicky
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, guys,
thank you for your supportive words, I appreciate your concern and willingness to help. Two months ago Praetorian inspired me to study hard and to struggle. I tried to follow the tested path of hard work and heavy practicing. i have to admit that despite the fact that i devoted much efforts to math, i failed to pick up all the required skills, I didn't have much time and I didn't finish with OG (I had about 100 questions left in DS and I didn't even touch SC. Now I perfectly know my weakeneses, I do not give up. Though test preparation is a great pain in the ass for me (pretty rigid life style), my desire to pursue mba is too strong. I just want to take a break until SIMT desides what to do with my application. In case I have to retake the gmat, I will do it after some more practicing and hard work. Vicky and Mikhail, you are the good examples to follow. :P
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
here you go...
:wave
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
:war
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
vaka wrote:
Hey, guys,
thank you for your supportive words, I appreciate your concern and willingness to help. Two months ago Praetorian inspired me to study hard and to struggle. I tried to follow the tested path of hard work and heavy practicing. i have to admit that despite the fact that i devoted much efforts to math, i failed to pick up all the required skills, I didn't have much time and I didn't finish with OG (I had about 100 questions left in DS and I didn't even touch SC. Now I perfectly know my weakeneses, I do not give up. Though test preparation is a great pain in the ass for me (pretty rigid life style), my desire to pursue mba is too strong. I just want to take a break until SIMT desides what to do with my application. In case I have to retake the gmat, I will do it after some more practicing and hard work. Vicky and Mikhail, you are the good examples to follow. :P

Val

just a few ( or a hundred) more words. :)

An MBA should take your career prospects to another level..and it would be frustrating to have an advanced degree with little prospects
I would rather work harder for a 680+ score than join a less than average MBA program.
your academics and work experience are fine, gmat is your final hurdle.
if you are quitting your job for your MBA, make sure what you get in return is worth it.
Give yourself all you got !
After all, how hard is it to work hard for yourself :)
Most of my peers i have talked to wish they had tried harder to get into
better " brand name" B-Schools...
Hey , its gonna be hard...but then, if it wasnt hard , u think a "brand
name " mba would have that much value.

i wish you well.

Stick around..maybe i will need your advice if i dont do well on

my gmat.. :)

Godspeed Val
Praetorian
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey, Praetorian, I must tell you that my choice of business school was not a function of my gmat score. This is quite a long story to tell, but I decided to apply to SIMT in May of this year. There are different reasons for doing that, one of them is financial issue. Most of the top european business schools offer student loans which are available for students from Russia, but not for students from Ukraine (FATF rules). INSEAD offers loans regardless of nationality but the loan covers tuition fee only.
Well, aside from above mentioned reasons there is a bunch of others and believe me, had I scored 700+, I would have applied to SIMT anyway. I plan to work in Europe, not in US..
Anyway, Praetorian, I am not leaving gmatclub. Talking to you and to other smart guys was a pleasure, do not get surprised if in a month or two I will show up again... :computer
I still do not know what to do now, i got sick of my recent life schedule and of all that gmat hysteria :pc Not that I dislike gmat or brainwashing activities it provides, but I hardly could balance my private life and gmat. Work, sports, family and gmat are very hard to combine indeed.
But from the other hand SIMT decision is coming not so fast as I expected (only at the end of January). I feel that I should not wait until that time since if they reject me, I will have little time for preparation.
I think that right now I could read a lot to sharpen my RC skills. That won't be either time concuming or unclaimed (in case SIMT decides to accept me). What do you think?

Mikhail, do you hear me? I might want to contact you for some guidance and insight as for the RC skills. And math. I am not ready yet to ask something specific, just want to thank you for your assistance offered. :king
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Vaka,

Sorry for not responding for so long. I agree that your score is not very high but as you are appying to European school your GMAT can fit to school's requirements.

Do concentrate on your strong qulalities and I am sure you'll succed. :wink:

In general, I think that European schools pay less attention to one's GMAT score as for many Europeans English is not a native language :)

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bono,
I'll send you an-email tomorrow. Still don't know what to do. Have no startegy.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts