Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [68]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1322 [15]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [5]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.84
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked [#permalink]
Kudos
I almost cried while attempting this question. So many variables so many conditions. It took me five minutes on the test and I still ended up getting it wrong.
Can such kind of questions come in the exam?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3019 [2]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Re: Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked [#permalink]
Kudos
PriyankaPalit7 wrote:
"Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours".

If shawna and jia worked together, how come shawna worked for more number of hours than jia?

Why are we not using this:
s = time taken by shawna to do the work
j = time taken by jia to do the work

1/s + 1/j = 1/y ?

I understood the solution given by Manhattan, but if the question is worded in the above way, should we not follow this approach?

PriyankaPalit7,

When we say " They worked together or simultaneously for y hours" => Shawna worked for y hrs and Jia also worked for y hrs.

On the other hand, if we say "Combined they worked for a total of y hours" => Shawna worked for a hrs (say) and Jia worked for b hrs (say), then a+b = y hrs.

i.e.
Combined they worked for a total of y hours \(\neq\) they worked together for y hours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Shawna and Jia worked EACH ONE ALONE to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours. Before the job started, Shawna paid t dollars to purchase paint and other supplies for the job. When the job was completed, Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work as well as reimburse her for the supplies. If Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, how much money should Shawna give to Jia such that Shawna and Jia are each paid the same hourly rate for their work?

Very nice approach, pandeyashwin !

Without exploring a particular case (as I did previously), let´s show the "GMATH´s way", using UNITS CONTROL, one of the most powerful tools of our method!

\(?\,\,\,\,:\,\,\,\,{\rm{Jia}}\,\,{\rm{fair}}\,\,\$ \,\,{\rm{payment}}\,{\rm{for}}\,\,{\rm{her}}\,\,{\rm{work}}\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\,\$ \,c\,\,\, = \,\,\,{\rm{common}}\,\,{\rm{hourly}}\,\,\,{\rm{rate}}\,} \right]\,\,\,\)

\(y\,\,{\rm{h}}\,\,\,\left\{ \matrix{\\
\,{\rm{Shawna}}\,\,:\,\,\left( {{y \over 2} + {x \over 2}} \right)\,\,{\rm{h}} \hfill \cr \\
\,{\rm{Jia}}\,\,:\,\,\left( {{y \over 2} - {x \over 2}} \right)\,\,{\rm{h}} \hfill \cr} \right.\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\,{\rm{Sum}}\,\,y\,\,,\,\,\,x\,\,{\rm{difference}}\,\,{\rm{,}}\,\,{\rm{Shawna}}\,\,{\rm{more}}\,\,{\rm{time}}\,} \right]\)

\(\left( {{{y + x} \over 2}} \right)\,\,{\rm{h}}\,\, \cdot \,\,\left( {{{\,\$ \,\,c\,} \over {1\,\,{\rm{h}}}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\, + \,\,\left( {{{y - x} \over 2}} \right)\,\,{\rm{h}}\,\, \cdot \,\,\left( {{{\,\$ \,\,c\,} \over {1\,\,{\rm{h}}}}} \right)\,\,\,\, = \,\,\,\,\$ \,\,\left( {d - t} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,yc = d - t\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,c = {{d - t} \over y}\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\rm{$}} \right]\,\)

\(?\,\,\, = \,\,\,\,\left( {{{y - x} \over 2}} \right)\,\,h\,\,\, \cdot \,\,\,\left( {{{\,\$ \,\,\left( {d - t} \right)\,} \over {y\,\,\,{\rm{h}}}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\, = \,\,\,\,{{\,\left( {y - x} \right)\left( {d - t} \right)\,} \over {2y}}\,\,\,\,\,\,\left[ {\rm{\$ }} \right]\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours. Before the job started, Shawna paid t dollars to purchase paint and other supplies for the job. When the job was completed, Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work as well as reimburse her for the supplies. If Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, how much money should Shawna give to Jia such that Shawna and Jia are each paid the same hourly rate for their work?

A) \(\frac{(d-t)(y-x)}{2y}\)

B) \(\frac{(d-t)}{y}\)

C) \(\frac{(d-x)}{y} - t\)

D) \(\frac{(dx - t)}{2}\)

E) \(\frac{(d-t)(y+x)}{2y}\)

We are given that both Shawn and Jia worked for y hours. Since Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, she worked (y + x)/2 hours and Jia worked (y - x)/2 hours. (Notice that (y + x)/2 + (y - x)/2 = 2y/2 = y and (y + x)/2 - (y - x)/2 = 2x/2 = x.)

Since Shawna paid t dollars for paint and supplies and was paid d dollars for the job and reimbursement, she received (d - t) dollars for the time she and Jia worked. Since they worked a total of y hours, the hourly wage should be
(d - t)/y dollars per hour. Since Jia worked (y - x)/2, then he should receive

(d - t)/y * (y - x)/2 = (d - t)(y - x)/(2y) dollars

Answer: A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Question:
Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours. Before the job started, Shawna paid t dollars to purchase paint and other supplies for the job. When the job was completed, Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work as well as reimburse her for the supplies. If Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, how much money should Shawna give to Jia such that Shawna and Jia are each paid the same hourly rate for their work?

Solution: Shortest (1-liner) approach:

Total time for which they worked = y hours
Shawna worked for x hours more than Jia

If x = y, it would imply that Shawna worked for the entire time. Thus, payment for Jia would be $0.

Working with the options: We plugin x = y in each:

Option A: This reduces to $0 - possibly correct
Option B: This does not reduce to $0 - incorrect
Option C: This does not reduce to $0 - incorrect
Option D: This does not reduce to $0 - incorrect
Option B: This does not reduce to $0 - incorrect

Thus, Option A is correct

Normal Approach:

Total time for which they worked = y hours
Shawna worked for x hours more than Jia

=> Time for which Shawna worked = (y + x)/2 hours and Time for which Jia worked = (y - x)/2 hours

Amount paid to Shawna = $d
Amount spent by Shawna on tools = $t

=> Amount that goes towards payment for total y hours of work = $(d - t)

=> Amount paid per hour (to either Shawna or Jia) = $[(d - t) ÷ y]

=> Amount that goes towards Jia's payment for (y - x)/2 hours of work

= $[(d - t) ÷ y] * (y - x)/2
= $[(d - t)/y * (y - x)/2]
= \($[\frac{(d - t)(y - x)}{2y}]\)

Answer A
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [1]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Given: Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours. Before the job started, Shawna paid t dollars to purchase paint and other supplies for the job. When the job was completed, Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work as well as reimburse her for the supplies.

Asked: If Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, how much money should Shawna give to Jia such that Shawna and Jia are each paid the same hourly rate for their work?

Let the hours Jia worked be z.
Shawna worked for = (z+x) hours

Combined they worked for total of y hours.
y = z + (z+x) = 2z + x
z = (y-x)/2

Value of their combined work = (d- t) dollars
Total hours worked = y = 2z + x hours
Hourly rate = (d-t)/y dollars/hour

The money Shawna should give to Jia \(= \frac{(d-t)}{y} * z = \frac{(d-t)}{y }* \frac{(y-x)}{2} = \frac{(d-t)(y-x)}{2y}\)

IMO A
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1355 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Micky1005 wrote:
I almost cried while attempting this question. So many variables so many conditions. It took me five minutes on the test and I still ended up getting it wrong.
Can such kind of questions come in the exam?

Hi Micky1005 ,

In my opinion, the question is absolute GMAT-like... but the official solution is NOT!

Please follow my reasoning (in the post below) after reading the question stem carefully (more than once) for (say) approximately one minute.

I explain: the first reading must be fast - say 20 seconds - for the brain to know which "drawers to open". The second reading takes double-time, to start "the structure"!

Important: this is not time-wasting... it is time-investment!

(This advice follows the GMATH method.)

If you have any doubts, please feel free to ask me about it.

Regards and success in your studies!
Fabio.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:
Shawna and Jia worked EACH ONE ALONE to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours. Before the job started, Shawna paid t dollars to purchase paint and other supplies for the job. When the job was completed, Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work as well as reimburse her for the supplies. If Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia, how much money should Shawna give to Jia such that Shawna and Jia are each paid the same hourly rate for their work?

B) \(\frac{(d-t)}{y}\)

\(?\,\,\,:\,\,\,{\text{Jia}}\,\,{\text{fair}}\,\,{\text{payment}}\,{\text{for}}\,\,{\text{her}}\,\,{\text{work}}\)

The careful reading suggested (in the post above) is enough to understand the following:

1. The $t paid by Shawna is reimbursed, therefore what is paid for the work is simply $ (d-t) and THIS is the amount that must be divided.

Conclusion: alternative choices (C) and (D) are not good candidates.

2. If we imagine y=3 (3h for Shawna and Jia to work, each one alone) and x=1 (so that Jia works 1h and Shawna works 2h), we are sure
$(d-t) must be divided in three equal parts, and Jia deserves one third of it.

Conclusion: when we explore the particular case x=1 and y=3 , our FOCUS, in this case the TARGET expression, is (d-t)/3 (in dollars).

Checking (A), (B) and (E), there is only one survivor (check that), hence this choice (A) is the correct choice!

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
"Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house. Combined they worked for a total of y hours".

If shawna and jia worked together, how come shawna worked for more number of hours than jia?

Why are we not using this:
s = time taken by shawna to do the work
j = time taken by jia to do the work

1/s + 1/j = 1/y ?

I understood the solution given by Manhattan, but if the question is worded in the above way, should we not follow this approach?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi PriyankaPalit7 !

"Shawna and Jia worked together to paint a house." was something that bothered me, too.

Please have a look at my posts above, in which I changed (slightly) the question stem to avoid this confusion.

Regards and success in your studies!
Fabio.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
"Shawna was given a total of d dollars to pay for the work".. i messed up. i thought for Shawna's work :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q37 V27
GPA: 2.88
Send PM
We know that Shawna worked extra X hours, So: Shawna = Jia + X Hours
It's given that Shawna's time + Jia's time = Y Hours and if we replace Shawna we get:

Jia + Jia + X = Y => 2Jia + X =Y => Jia's Time = (Y - X)/2

Shawna was paid D$ = Both of their pays + reimbursement for buying supplies => Both of their pays + T$
So their hourly pay was: (D$ (total amount) - T$ (supplies))/ Y (time for finishing their work)

To get Jia's payment we must multiply her working hours with their hourly rate:
(Y - X)/2 * (D$ - T$)/Y => (Y - X)(D-T)/2Y - A.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
dabaobao wrote:

B) \(\frac{(d-t)}{y}\)

Combined they worked for a total of y hours.
Shawna worked for x more hours than Jia.

Let y=2 and x=2.
Since a total of 2 hours are worked -- and Shawna works 2 more hours than Jia -- Shawna works 2 hours, while Jia works 0 hours.
In other words:
Shawna on her own completes the entire 2-hour job.

How much money should Shawna give to Jia?
Since Shawna works the entire job, the amount that should be given to Jia = 0.
When y=2 and x=2, the values of d and t become IRRELEVANT.
No matter what values are chosen for d and t, the correct answer MUST yield a value of 0 when y=2 and x=2.

Only A is guaranteed to yield a value of 0 for any possible combination of values assigned to d and t:
\(\frac{(d-t)(y-x)}{2y} = \frac{(d-t)(2-2)}{2y} = 0\)

Originally posted by GMATGuruNY on 26 May 2021, 13:21.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on 28 May 2021, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
I too struggled with the question at the first glance but after thinking about it a little bit i realized it is a simple equation formation question.

The average wage for both J & S is equal so overall average wage is (d-t)/y --- (1)

Now total hours, j + s = y but j + x + j = y so 2j + x = y
Thus j = (y-x)/2

Jia' average wage = Jia wage / (y-x)/2 --- (2)

From the question stem we know (1) = (2)

S0, (d-t)/y = Jia wage / (y-x)/2
Jia wage = (d-t)(y-x) / 2y

Hope it helps..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Been doing more practice with the timer, this one took me around 9 minutes to solve and even then I accidentially solved for Shawna's wages as opposed to Jia's wages.

Feels fairly impossible at my current skill level to do this question in 2 minutes or anywhere close to that so I still have a long ways to go to practice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts