It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 23:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 275 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2013, 00:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 401

Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: EMLYON FT'16
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2013, 09:12
bkk145 wrote:
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.

A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball
D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball

You need to compare apples with apples. Here, you are comparing shoppers with department stores !

Therefore, you NEED those: choices C & D are left.

Now look at C, it is totally wordy and awkard and not parallel and only at the end is not well placed...

Answer D for me...

Think outside the box

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 401

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1089 [2], given: 548

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2014, 07:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only.

The comparison is between "shoppers in sporting goods stores" and "shoppers in department stores" -

A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only - Wrong comparison as explained above

B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well - Wrong comparison as explained above

C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball
As the comparison part is done, lets remove the modifier.
Shoppers in sporting goods stores do very little impulse shopping - Complete clause.

The second clause : do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball. Where is the subject of this clause. - Incorrect.

D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
- Perfect
1) those replace shoppers. Correct comparison.
2) If we remove the ",those in department stores," the first clause becomes "Shoppers in sporting goods stores do very little impulse shopping".
Semi colon indicates another intimately connected independent clause -
someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well
who replaces someone comes - Subject verb proper.
Someone will leave and will not buy - Perfect Subject verb.

E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball
Wrong comparison as explained above

Thanks,
Kinjal
My Debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267.html#p1449379
My Application Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/hardwork-never-gets-unrewarded-for-ever-189267-40.html#p1516961
Linkedin : https://www.linkedin.com/in/kinjal-das/

Please click on Kudos, if you think the post is helpful

Kudos [?]: 1089 [2], given: 548

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 09:29
Dear Mod,

Please correct original sentence and post better version by Daagh

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)

Kudos [?]: 758 [0], given: 355

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2015, 06:44

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2015, 10:06

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 21:04
Natia wrote:
trainspotting wrote:
skim wrote:
I pick (D) for clarity. The comparison between "Shoppers in sporting goods stores" and "those in department stores" is parallel and clear.

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well

Why not C..Same comparison is there...

First, I thought about C too, but in C this part of a sentence "Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball" doesn't clearly refer to the subject -shoppers in sporting goods stores.

but in D, there is "as well" at the end. i eliminated D because 'X and Y as well' is wrong. Should be X and Y. Can you please throw some light here?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8325 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2015, 23:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The major issue here is grammar.

A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only --- not buying … but they buy ---- Un//

B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well – The problem is with ‘unlike in departmental stores’. ‘Unlike’ a preposition should be immediately followed by a noun and not a prepositional phrase.

Secondly the comparison seems to be blurred somewhat here. While we know that it is the shoppers in sports goods store, we cannot be so sure in Dept. stores. It could be shoppers or dabblers, or casual visitors. That is the reason the pronoun 'those' assumes importance in C and D.

C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball ---- This is a run–on

D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well ----- Comparison is ok, and the contrast is there. This is the best.

E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball --- Someone will not and they will not buy – wrong pronoun number agreement.

I feel the phrase'as well' is a ploy and a diversion, since all other choices do have solid errors.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 75

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 01:32
daagh wrote:
The major issue here is grammar.

A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only --- not buying … but they buy ---- Un//

B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well – The problem is with ‘unlike in departmental stores’. ‘Unlike’ a preposition should be immediately followed by a noun and not a prepositional phrase.

Secondly the comparison seems to be blurred somewhat here. While we know that it is the shoppers in sports goods store, we cannot be so sure in Dept. stores. It could be shoppers or dabblers, or casual visitors. That is the reason the pronoun 'those' assumes importance in C and D.

C. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, do not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but leave with only a basketball ---- This is a run–on

D. those in department stores, do very little impulse shopping; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well ----- Comparison is ok, and the contrast is there. This is the best.

E. department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone will not buy a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball but will leave with only a basketball --- Someone will not and they will not buy – wrong pronoun number agreement.

I feel the phrase'as well' is a ploy and a diversion, since all other choices do have solid errors.

I would like to hear your take on the "as well" at the end of the sentence in choice D. I admit that the choice D is the most properly constructed sentence among the given choices, but, to me, "as well" is redundant and confused me while I was solving the question. Since we have "and", why do we need "as well"? Is it for emphasis?

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 08:15
I feel that the phrase ‘as well’,which really means ‘in addition’, is added to fall in line with the rationale of what impulse shopping is. Let’s delve.

1. When you go in to buy X and you just buy X and come away, that is targeted buying or required buying.
2. But when you go in to buy X, you buy not only X, but also Y and Z, then it is called impulse buying, because you are buying them in addition to X. This ‘in addition’ element is the key for impulse shopping.
3. In the third scenario, you go in to buy X, but you don’t buy X for some reason but by Y and Z instead then it is not logically impulse buying.

This fine psychological or logical (whatever you call it) nuance is what has been brought out by adding the phrase ‘as well” IMO.
However, I think that may not be a crucial factor; you can decide this question on grammar alone, as I said.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 08:39
Thank you for your prompt response.

Please kindly click on "+1 Kudos", if you think my post is useful

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 391

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GPA: 1.9
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2015, 09:00
AceofSpades wrote:
D.

In C, the second and the third part of the sentences are jumbled and don't flow properly. As noted above, answer choice D has more clarity than the other answer choices.

I think in D 'as well' is redundent' thats why i did not opt for D

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 391

Expert Post
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2015, 20:15
We are comparing “shoppers in sporting stores” with “shoppers in department stores”. Hence, "those" is required. So, we are left with "C" and "D". Now, it becomes slightly meaning-based. The part “do not buy…..basketball” is describing “impulse shopping”. So, C is out. And, D is the correct answer..

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 1

Non-Human User

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2016, 11:38

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2016, 19:29
Hi,
I have a question here..

Why cant we assume the the word "those" plays ellipsis role in the option A?

Option A --> Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse
shopping.

If it is ellipsis then the above sentence seems perfectly fine..
I think the answer choice A is wrong in the meaning.. --> not playing_____ is wrong....

Please help...

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 59

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 12:16
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
A. in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only
B. in department stores, shop impulsively very little; someone who comes in for a basketball will leave with a basketball only and not also buy a pair of skis and a boomerang as well

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2017, 13:54
Chemerical71 wrote:
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department stores, do very little impulse shopping, not buying a pair of skis and a boomerang when they come in for a basketball, but they leave with a basketball only

Dear Chemerical71,

My friend, please do not post a question in a new thread until after you have searched thoroughly for the question. Virtually every single official question already has been posted here on GMAT Club. Always search first, and don't start a new thread until you are sure that the question has never been posted. I have merged your post into a pre-existing thread.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8949 [0], given: 111

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 06:36
Option C has subject verb error.

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 06:37
Option C has subject verb error.

Manager
Manager
G

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Human Resources)
Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 08:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Last edited by broall on 20 May 2017, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Merged topic. Please search before posting question.

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2017, 08:51

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 48 posts ] 

Shoppers in sporting goods stores, unlike in department

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap