Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: Should I apply Round 3 or wait and apply for Fall '08? [#permalink]
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Thanks, Paul.

Question about this:

pbodine wrote:
it might make more sense to use the next 10 months to really juice up your profile

How would one juice up their profile in only 10 months?

Other than not having much time after a ding to significantly improve a resume, does it look bad in the eyes of the admissions boards to apply so soon after having applied in the previous year's final round?

Something else I'm having to consider: My most recent manager, who's willing to write a positive letter of recommendation, recently left the firm. So by next fall, he'll be nearly a year removed from having been my manager, and my current manager is the principal of the firm who would not be too happy about my wanting to leave.

Texas_Dawg,

Most reapplicants only have 10 months to improve their applications and most do. You don't have to save the world, but you could get a promotion, for one thing, or put in 9-10 months of intensive community work (leadership role), etc. Ten months is enough time for the improvements adcoms look for.

As for applying so soon after getting feedback, schools will wonder why you are applying so soon if you haven't given yourself time to act on their advice, so they may approach your application skeptically. That is the only reason they would view the reapp negatively but it is a big one.

Whether you apply now or next fall, you should get the reco letter from your current supervisor. Either way, it will be valued by the adcom.
Current Student
Send PM
Cool. Thanks for the help.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.
Current Student
Send PM
Paul,

I decided not to apply in Round 3 for Fall '07.

Also, I've decided I definitely want to stay in NYC for b-school, and I am really targeting Columbia as my top choice, with NYU as my back-up.

Lately I've been considering Columbia's accelerated program, starting in January '08.

I have a good idea of what I want to do with my MBA, and I feel I have very good contacts in the industry I want to be in. Also, knowing what I want to do and knowing I need the MBA to get there, another year and a half doing what I'm doing now feels a bit wasteful.

What do you think of the Columbia accelerated program compared to their regular full-time MBA program? What could and should I do to improve my chances of being accepted? What do you feel my chances are of being accepted with my profile (see above)?

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Texas_Dawg wrote:
Paul,

I decided not to apply in Round 3 for Fall '07.

Also, I've decided I definitely want to stay in NYC for b-school, and I am really targeting Columbia as my top choice, with NYU as my back-up.

Lately I've been considering Columbia's accelerated program, starting in January '08.

I have a good idea of what I want to do with my MBA, and I feel I have very good contacts in the industry I want to be in. Also, knowing what I want to do and knowing I need the MBA to get there, another year and a half doing what I'm doing now feels a bit wasteful.

What do you think of the Columbia accelerated program compared to their regular full-time MBA program? What could and should I do to improve my chances of being accepted? What do you feel my chances are of being accepted with my profile (see above)?

Thanks.

Texas_Dawg,

I don't think there's any quality difference between CBS's accelerated degree and its regular degree in terms of employers or prestige. If you don't need the internship part of B-school, an accelerated program is good. As for what you can do to improve your chances, I think I mentioned some things in one of my earlier posts to you. I think you would be competitive at CBS--go for it! You may want to read the transcript from Accepted.com's Columbia MBA chat.
Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot