Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Should I do a master's to offset a low undergrad gpa? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
owabbasi wrote:
I have a meagre undergrad gpa of 2.6 (civil engg) from a top 10 uni in my country and want to offset it by possibly doing a master's for the next 2 years while also getting work experience. The degree in itself isn't too difficult to get with good grades (ms in engg. management) and I'm sure I'll do much better on it than I did on my undergrad. My question Is, is this is a good way to show academic improvement or will this raise questions with the adcoms as to why I want to get an mba after this degree and how it aligns with my goals. If not, is there an easier/more favorable approach to reducing the effect of your low undergrad gpa (like some online certification/coursework that is recognised by b schools)
For arguments sake, assume my GMAT is 720+, WE will be ~50 months at time of matriculation and extra curriculars are great.

Well the two ways to work it are really:
1. a Great GMAT
2. A good logical story for why your grades are low
And then, well, it won;t make your GPA higher, but it will help you overcome.

Best,
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't subscribe in doing things that don't align with your career goals for the sake of b-school applications. I would spend that time focusing on really blowing the GMAT out of the water. So if you're thinking 720 aim even higher and spend that time dedicated to achieving a REALLY high score on the GMAT. That will have the greatest impact on your profile. Also, consider taking a few additional b-school ready coursework like accounting, finance, stats, econ, etc. Get A's in these classes so the school knows you recognize your GPA as a potential issue.

Also...what happened with your GPA? Why so low?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
owabbasi wrote:
I have a meagre undergrad gpa of 2.6 (civil engg) from a top 10 uni in my country and want to offset it by possibly doing a master's for the next 2 years while also getting work experience. The degree in itself isn't too difficult to get with good grades (ms in engg. management) and I'm sure I'll do much better on it than I did on my undergrad. My question Is, is this is a good way to show academic improvement or will this raise questions with the adcoms as to why I want to get an mba after this degree and how it aligns with my goals. If not, is there an easier/more favorable approach to reducing the effect of your low undergrad gpa (like some online certification/coursework that is recognised by b schools)
For arguments sake, assume my GMAT is 720+, WE will be ~50 months at time of matriculation and extra curriculars are great.

Hi owabbasi,

We are a bit delayed in responding to you but hope this helps.

Pursuing a Master's to offset your low GPA is not a wise decision. Instead, you must utilize this time in preparing yourself to achieve a high GMAT score, focus on getting some leadership experience at work, and strengthen your involvement with extra-curricular activities even more :) Most schools will provide you with the option of submitting an Optional Essay and you can always speak about your low GPA there, as well as mention how you have learnt from mistakes and grown as an individual since then. Moreover, you must also focus on preparing a set of essays, wherein your goals are in strong alignment with your academic and professional experience and your achievements are clearly highlighted.

In short, A Master's at this point may complicate your profile and is not recommended if it does not go with your overall trajectory.

All the best! :)
GMAT Club Bot