Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UC Berkeley (Haas), Santa Clara U (Leavey), UC Davis, University of San Francisco
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UC Berkeley (Haas), Santa Clara U (Leavey), UC Davis, University of San Francisco
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Re: Should I even bother? [#permalink]
Hmm, those fields are pretty far outside my narrow expertise.

If I were you I would try to get a job in the field (at any level), apply to part time programs and try and network/move up. I just don't see a positive return on a full time program.

Now, I often say, "please take XXX with a grain of salt," but I'd really like to emphasize that sentiment this time. I very likely know less than you about your potential transition. I think it would be best to talk to someone your age and in the field.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA, UCI, UCSD, USC
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Hi macandal,

I'm also working in S.F. so i'll give you my advice. Like the person before me, take it with a grain of salt. You can PM me if you have other questions or want my opinion on stuff as I'm also looking at Bay Area MBA programs (although I am much younger than you).

I think you really need to ask yourself a few questions before you apply for an MBA. Getting an MBA is (usually) going to be pretty expensive. You are losing 2 years of salary, paying what is usually a large tuition, and living in the bay area is expensive. Can you really afford it? Going into debt is much different for someone your age than in their 20s. If you do a part-time, you can keep your job, make some money, improve your work experience, and hopefully make some connections.

Secondly, you need to look at what type of job you can get afterwords. An MBA is going to take you at least 2 years to get, 3 or more if you go part-time. You are already in your 40s. I know you want a career change and a great paying job and whatnot, but just getting an MBA isn't going to get you that. Nearly every person going to an MBA program wants go work in finance or banking and honestly, a lot of people aren't going to get that wish. I realize you say you are willing to work your way up and whatnot, but how realistic is that? If you are in your mid-late 40s when you start working, how many more years of working do you think you have left? Also, would an MBA help you in your current career path? I know you want to change industries, but perhaps an MBA would help you salary wise and give you some more responsibilities which, although not ideal, would at least make your job better?

I'd look at some programs in the Bay Area and would call them up or look online to see what their job candidates credentials are and where they are getting plaved and what they are making. In the Bay the larger schools are USF, SF State, Berkeley, Stanford, and Davis. I'm going to be critical and say you have little chance at Berkeley or Stanford. Sorry but it's just my opinion with the low grades and questionable background as I don't see you have much of a quantitative background. Davis is going to require you to get a good GMAT score.

In my humble opinion, if you want to get into corporate finance or banking, you have a long path ahead. 2010 apps aren't going to happen as you know. Heck, I'd even question 2011. Bs from community colleges don't help. Neither does swimming or photography classes. I don't know why you would take a grammar course if you have an MFA in writing and are a writer. Admissions assumes you can write. It's the quant they will worry about. Make sure you get an A in accounting this semester, and you probably want to be comfortable with calculus if you want to get into finance.

If you really want to get an MBA after thinking about all of this, I would seriously look into local programs part-time. SF State is pretty affordable but again, check where their students are getting jobs. UC Davis has a bay area part-time program I'd also look into. USF is another option although it's pretty expensive.

Hope that helps you out a bit. PM me if you have any other questions or what additional advice. Good Luck!!
GMAT Club Bot