Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Should I even get an MBA? [#permalink]
Kudos
No, do it part-time or get your company to pay. I doubt you will get much in scholarships from B-schools.

Do you really want to owe 150K? Having that kind of debt hanging over your head just to go into "management consulting" which you will probably get sick of after 2-3 years.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, you have a lot of options in front of you. Rice is not such a top program for consulting, as kingflacon pointed out. McCombs is better, but it's far enough away that you might as well apply to top 10 programs. the point about getting sponsored for an MBA and saving on the costs is a good one, and you can consider that option. But you could also apply to a few programs, see how things pan out and allow life to decide for you (I mean say you get into Stanford... is that worth it?? methinks so)
:)
I would say - do things step by step - you're in no rush.. so take your GMAT see how that goes. Are you getting the score you need for top 10 schools? Great! then visit them? do you like what you see? great! then apply!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Part-time and full-time programs are a different beast. If you want to move up in your company to a management role, getting your MBA part-time from Rice makes sense. Management consulting sounds like a career change for you, and I think it's worth the time and $$ for a full-time program to launch your new career. The best parts of a full-time program is being able to do a summer internship in the field you're interested in and the on-campus recruiting. Finishing your MBA part-time at your company and trying to parlay that into management consulting will be a tough sell.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.51
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Part-time and full-time programs are a different beast. If you want to move up in your company to a management role, getting your MBA part-time from Rice makes sense. Management consulting sounds like a career change for you, and I think it's worth the time and $$ for a full-time program to launch your new career. The best parts of a full-time program is being able to do a summer internship in the field you're interested in and the on-campus recruiting. Finishing your MBA part-time at your company and trying to parlay that into management consulting will be a tough sell.

Thanks for the replies. Just curious, my management professor back at UT Austin told me about the McCombs Houston program. Anyone know if this is just as good as the MBA program from Austin? How does it work exactly?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
Send PM
That sounds like an executive MBA program which is yet another flavor of MBA. Yes after the program you will have an MBA, but its more like a part-time program than a full-time one. Again, good for advancing in your company and having the McCombs brand attached to your degree, but difficult to leverage that into a career-switch to a top tier management consulting firm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
I am a student at the McCombs DFW program, which is exactly like the Houston program, and it is great. You will be able to network with the guys in your class that already have jobs, and still be able to recruit on-campus, all without giving up your job. According to career services, there are many recruiters that actually prefer the working professional program and I know Deloitte hires a lot of students from the professional program, unsure about the other top firms.
GMAT Club Bot