Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GRE 1: Q156 V154
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Should I explain the reason for an average GMAT score (650) ?? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It will depend on the school, if your score is well below the avg then you may need to explain this as not the best representation of your skills. Your rationale you proposed above, is probably not the strongest to be honest, might be worth it to point to other examples of strong analytical aptitude in your past. It is really important to avoid a narrative that comes across as a set of excuses. A greater concern for you is timing. It feels like R1 next year really feels like a better time for you, R3 can be particularly challenging for most. Maybe a take a stab at a few schools with your 650 but know if you don't get in this could affect R1 schools if you're applying to the same schools
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
addi7 wrote:
Hi,

I am in the process of applying to the Round 2 and 3 of 2018 MBA session of several colleges but am having a hard time explaining my GMAT score. Though I am aiming at mid-tier schools I still want to tread carefully. Some of the applications do provide with a provisoin for an optional essay, but some do not.

I started preparing for my GMAT in July 2017 and booked the exam for November. My dad was diagnosed with Colon cancer in September and things got a bit topsy turvy. I decided to take the exam anyway as I felt somewhat confident, but that was not to be the case. I got a 610 and postponed my plans untill things soothed out a bit. My dad was operated a couple of weeks after my exam and about a month after the operation and subsequent checkups, he was on the path to recovery. I really feel that 2018 is the best time to start my MBA and working for an year more won't have any professional advantage. I booked another GMAT for January and had roughly 3 weeks to prepare. This time I scored a 650 and was over-whelmed by the Quant section which was way harder than I had seen anywhere.

Anyway, I am not here to crib about the difficulty of the Qaunt section, but I do feel that on any other day the results could have been different and about 680 would easily be achievable. But I can't afford to spend more time on GMAT: neither literally nor emotionally. I feel 650 is not that bad and that I should now focus on the applications.
So to reiterate my question: How should I mention my reasons for an average score of 650 in the essays(/optional eassy)? I don't want to make it sound like an excuse, but I want to emphasize that 2018 is the most appropraite session for me.

Thanks

Hi addi7,

Thanks for writing in.

The answer to your question depends on the school in question. In case the average GMAT score of the school is higher than 650, you could showcase how your current score is not a true representation of your actual ability. You could focus on your analytical skills in the past and build a case for this. However, this answer needs to be framed in a way that it doesn't look like you are making an excuse.

Having said the above, R2 and R3 are not quite the ideal rounds for you to apply in. Quite frankly, things go a bit downhill from here and therefore it is strongly recommended that you retake the GMAT (especially because it is evident from your query that you could have done much better) and apply in R1 in the upcoming season :) This will truly be your best chance.

Should you need any other assistance, please feel free to reach out.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot