It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 06:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
WE: Engineering (Other)
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 09:22
PTK

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I will definitely take a look ..

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 621

GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 15:16
FSK wrote:
PTK

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I will definitely take a look ..

You are welcome and goooood luck man! :-D

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 949 [0], given: 621

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 13:11
Hi all,

this evening I took the GMAT and this is the score report:

Integrated reasoning 5 (52%)

Quantitative 44 (58%)
Verbal 32 (66%)

Total 620 (67%)

I studied for 20 days, on the Kaplan Premiere (in my experience TOTALLY unuseful for sentence correction).
The AWA was about a comparison between the costs of processing 3,5-inch film and food.

I feel frustrated and upset, the test center in Rome (via Galvani 4) was a room inside a high-schoo, totally messed up (!!!) with people screaming in the courtyard (!!!) and no earplugs.
Mostly I'm upset with myself... with 620 I can't have any scholarship and neither enter in many universities I had in my mind (I suppose).

What do you suggest? Honestly I need some simpathy too... today is a sad day... :-/
I want to crack down this @##!§%* test! :evil:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2015, 08:21
Great advice! I just had my GMAT yesterday and while I was slightly disappointed in my score, I knew that retaking is not an effective use of my time. This thread sums up all the good reasons!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 21

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2015, 14:20
Man, I was feeling the nerves at the beginning of the test
IR6 Q50 V44

First question I think oh simple calculate it out and the answer is not there... IR went horribly wrong and got a 6 (67%ile)
Starting that off bad led to me to double guessing all my Q answers

I know that 8/10 times I can get 51 and 8
In my case, because I want to go into consulting, I think IR is important

Should I retake?
Especially because I wanted to state that the skills IR tests are what I'm superior at
Also the 50 is now only 88th percentile

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2015, 18:05
Thanks alot for the information, I'm in the boat for retaking as it is under 50 point than I was expecting through practice, got really depressed after :(

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Schools: Foster '19 (S)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 08:48
Hi!

Earlier today I've passed GMAT test. So I have my preliminary score (640/8IR/49Q/28V) which is not as good as I've dreamed about :(.
Meanwhile I'm considering EMBA programs, not a full time MBA. Based on my research, demand for GMAT score from EMBA programs, even for top schools, not so high.

Who can advice wheather my score is enough for top EMBA programs?

Intern
Intern

Schools: ISB '18 (II)

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2015, 04:57
Hi experts,

I took the GMAT last week and the scores were as follows:
700 (Q49, V36, AWA 6, IR 4) - 2nd attempt ( 1 week back )
640 (Q51, V25, AWA 4.5, IR 7) - 1st attempt( 3 years back )

My job experience is around 5 years in oil and gas sector covering multiple countries. Did graduation in Maths from TIER 1 college in India. CG not good though :( Extra acads are remarkable. My target is Top 20 US B Schools (Kellogg, Columbia, HAAS, NYU, Austin, Booth)

I understand my scores are below par for the schools that I aim for applying. Since I have time I am planning for a re-take. I believe I should be able to improve Quant and IR, while there is also scope for improving verbal. I aim to cross the 720 mark barrier. Kindly advise.

Intern
Intern

Schools: Duke '19 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 02:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

Did my first GMAT yesterday and walked out feeling disappointed. Q47 (68 percentile) and V38 (85 percentile) with a score of 690.

My time management during the test was completely out, flashing through the last few questions in both sections. That could be the reason that i did not score my target 720 score. On top of that, i was not managing my the stress well, fumbled with simple arithmetic and not being able to focused on the last few questions in the verbal section.

I am planning to retake on either 3 Aug or 10 Aug. Any advice for me?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 15 Jun 2015, 00:09
Very insightful and informative post! My score went up 50 points between my first and second attempt. The main difference was I focused on time using the GMAT Timer app for iPhone / Android. It has this feature where the phone dings when it's time to move on to the next question which really helped me to pace myself.

I think a lot of people don't reach their maximum potential simply because they run out of time for the last three to five questions in a section. Those consecutively incorrect questions knock down your score fast because it automatically adjusts the skill level of each question downward, hurting you more and more because you ran out of time.

Bottom line: I'd strongly recommend that anyone who's retaking the GMAT (or even taking it for the first time) that they snag the GMAT Timer from the Apple App Store or Google Play.

Hope that helps, and good luck all!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 10:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi people,

I am an Indian male with 18 months of experience in oil and gas exploration and I gave my first GMAT on 27 June 2015 - 730(V40/Q49/IR6/AWA6.0). I depended mostly on Kaplan CATs and OG. Kaplan CATs never let me have anything better than a 670, so it was heartening to see a 730 on the actual test. However, I know I can do a lot better on Quant and IR with practice. I am aware that the percentiles might go down quite a bit at a later stage. I have an 8.0 on IELTS.

For now, ISB and NUS are the only schools on my mind. Can I have some advice as to whether my scores will do for these schools? My college GPA can be considered very average and my extra-academic activity is just right.

Also, what other schools can I target?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 22:40
Nice post bb. I scored a 720 after reading this post. 80 points jump from my previous attempt.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2015, 08:49
Hi guys,

I'm finding it really difficult to figure out where I stand when it comes to applying to B-Schools for my MBA and since I do not have too many people around me for advice I'm really hoping that you would help me out by evaluating my profile. I'm most confused about selecting schools and also whether to concentrate on the applications or on retaking the GMAT. The following is my profile-

-28 y/o Indian Male (will turn 29 by the time I start in 2016)

-GMAT 710 (49Q, 39V)- I know its probably on the lower side for an Indian male applicant. Trying to figure out whether to concentrate on the apps or on retaking the gmat.

-Graduated in 2008 from a business school in UK with a degree in accounting and finance. Topped my degree in year one. Ended up with an upper 2.1 degree. (Non-Engineering education)

-planned on working in UK itself in order to get some international work ex but had to move back to India because of my fathers death (3 weeks after final term). Had to take care of family affairs (financial and emotional) so moved back.

-Have 7+ years of work experience.

-working as head of the business development and strategy implementation division of a firm based out of New Delhi, with interests across hydropower, textiles and education and annual revenues of over US$125m. Have worked across all 3 sectors. Currently leading a team in implementing the expansion/diversification of the education vertical. The project is at an advanced stage of implementation and the financial rewards from the project have already started flowing in. The idea for diversification was my brainchild and thus I was made the team leader of the project. I'm also the youngest at the firm at a senior managerial role. I've held leadership roles across all the 3 verticals. I regularly deal/interact with clients from all over the world and frequently visit textile marketing events across the globe. The firm however would be a relatively unknown to most people on the admissions team (Well known in India though)

-short term goal is to make a transition to a top tier management consulting firm within the strategy division and work in new geographies in Western Europe or North America. Long term goal is to take up a senior management role at a fortune 500 firm. In my current role I'm coming up with and executing ideas that lead to improvement in business process and create value for the firm. I think a career in consulting will be a reasonable sell as my STG.

-Extra curricular: work with one of the most prominent environmental NGO in the country. Have been closely associated with environmental research over the last 5 years. Also, Having lost my father to blood cancer I started a cancer foundation in his name and have raised over INR 2.5m which in turn is being used to help underprivileged patients in their treatment. Also organize an annual blood donation camp. I have also redrafted and implemented the corporate social responsibility charter at the firm with a focus on sanitation for the poor and improving female financial literacy. Finally I've also worked for a member of parliament from 2009-2014 on devising a plan for development in the members parliamentary constituency with a population of over 2m residents.

Target Schools- INSEAD, LBS, Columbia, Duke, Tuck, Darden, Cornell, Ross, Tepper, Emory, Olin, UNC, etc

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2015, 04:23
Hi,

I need advice for my GMAT Exam Date. I registered August 28 as my exam date but i am not getting good score. I started giving mocks on on Aug 5 and scored 540. Earlier i was thinking that my preparations are going pretty good but after mock the situation turned upside down. It really scared me. I analysed my tests and improved my areas which pushed my score to 590 but I need 700+. I am thinking to change my exam date to September 10 or 15. But, I have heard that September wouldn't be good for the applications deadlines.

Please help.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2015, 14:28
I just came back from my GMAT today...what a horrible experience. I got less than 2 hours of sleep the previous night because my heart was pounding and I felt fairly nervous. It also didn't help that some top gun wanna-bes were practicing for an airshow AT 3 AM in the morning...

So anyways, I'm wondering if I should retake my GMAT since I absolutely bombed the quant section. I got a 750 overall, but my quant was only 48. This should probably put me in the range of the LBS MFA and the LSE Msc Fin right? I'm concerned that my quant score is much too low for oxbridge though, since both of them say that they require at least a 90% percentile in quant. I did every single GMATclub quant test and averaged 50 on most. On GMAT prep I was hitting 50Q under exam conditions too, bumping my score up to 770-790.

Should I retake the gmat? =s

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 00:14
Hi there,

I plan to apply to B schools for Fall 2016. I gave the GMAT twice and both times I got a 680 (Q 48, V 35). Should I give the GMAT again? I don't know how to go about preparing for it again. I've had issues with time management in both Quant and verbal sections and I end up guessing the last couple of question in both these sections.
I recently registered with the GMAT club and both my attempts at GMAT were without any coaching.
I'm applying for Round 1 to most schools. Would the B schools consider my new sore or do they have deadlines before which I need to give my GMAT again to consider the new score.
Would really appreciate it if you could help me out.
Best

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 05:32
Hi
Day before yesterday i gave GMAT exam and scored very low 520 (42Q,20V) only :(..i dont know what happened to me ..one thing was there i had cough all the time during exam ..and i dont know should i blame myself or my bad luck that i had cough during exam time..i had got 680 in gmat official paper ..Please suggest ..should i retake exam ???

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2015, 05:24
DATE Wednesday, September 30, 2015
Time: 2:30 PM (Time shown is test center loca
Test Center Location (Directions shown below)
UPTEC COMPUTER CONSULTANCY LTD
2ND FLOOR, LEKHRAJ GOLD
NEAR MUNSI PULIA, INDIRA NAGAR.
LUCKNOW
LUCKNOW
UTTAR PRADESH 226016
INDIA
I am writing this against the issue that arose during my exam on 30th of September at 2:30 pm.There was a power failure for around 5 minutes during both AWA and IR section, and the room went completely dark . I was not able to see even my notepad to write down brief statements.This was my first attempt and I feel sorry to say that despite being such a big institution and charging an adequate amount , GMAT cannot provide basic necessities such as adequate light, noise free zone, etc.
I have discussed this on various blogs , websites and my mentor , and everybody told me to write the particular issue to GMAT and ask for a reschedule as early as possible .All my opportunities and future career choices are based on GMAT ,, and even after charging $250, GMAT could not provide a basic printout of an unofficial report at end on my exam. I feel sorry for believing on testing conditions of GMAT. The test centre employee refused to provide a basic printout of the unofficial copy,which is pretty important to me to start my applications . He told me that Pearson will mail me the basic copy of unofficial report, which is yet to be received.
I need a reschedule and since everything is recorded, you can look in to the issue and justify the truth in my post. I wish GMAT to be fair in this case. Failing to do so, I will have to raise this issue on various blogs and websites.

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V54
GPA: 3.53
WE: Social Work (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 01:48
I am in a similar place. I took the test last year in February but continued with my job. It would almost be two years by the time I start sending out the applications. My concern is that the admission would be turned down in favour of candidates who took the test recently. Another reason to re-take the test is my mediocre score in I.R. I am satisfied with the overall score but unsure if I.R. would constitute a big factor in the process.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 26

Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q36 V34
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 08:31
Hi Team,

I took my GMAT exam today and scored a dismal 580( Q 36 and V34). Yes Correct, Quant 36. :(
It was my first attempt at GMAT and honestly first full length test as well (including AWA and IR), since all the mocks i took were minus the AWA.

I was constantly scoring more than 44-45 in Quant and was confident as well.
But today i know what went wrong.

AWA -
Started with AWA and there itself i started feeling the pressure when i couldn't come up with more than 2 assumptions to put up against the argument. Ended with a short essay as i had 7-8 min left only.

IR - Scored 2 :oops:
as i was clinching my fist how i screwed up my AWA and the first question i see is an MSR> :shock:
With almost 3 paragraphs of detail and difficult to comprehend data (or it wasn't but the earlier mess that i made with my AWA, made more nervous). Ended up 3-4 min on first question. With 25 min or so on the clock, i Started feeling the heat and ended up with marking 3 questions related to the same MSR blindly. The only thought that came to my mind was i will mark rest 8 all correct and cover up. So took a deep breath and started the with rest. Last question and 1 min left. Tried to comprehend the data and got one answer for Two part analysis but marked second a blind guess.
I scored according to my performance.

Took the optional break. Washed my face. Ready for the meaty part of the test.

QUANT -

I was nervous and bogged down after the shocking performance in the first sections. It kind of threw me off balance and all the negative things started coming into my mind.
First question - a general algebra question. I stumbled upon that and i selected the wrong option.
That constant fear of clock ticking down put me into so much of pressure that i was unable to comprehend easy questions which resulted in a string of wrong answers. (this is the first 10 questions).
Then i thought i need to buck up and get some questions correct i got stuck in 14th question and ended up spending 5+ min.
A glance at the timer and it read 39 min 22 questions left. I was in deep trouble! I marked the next three questions by elimination and approximation. All done in 3 min! Thought behind doing - will spend max amount of time in the last 18 questions and get all of them correct. But i think the damage was already done. Solve the rest 15 question in around 25 min or so as they were sitters.
And then i saw the clock. 3 questions 14 min left. All three again very basic questions, and for the final question i had 11 min. :|
I knew i screwed up big time.

FYI -
GMAT PREP Mock 1 - Quant - 44
GMAT PREP Mock 2 - Quant - 47
Manhattan PRep 1 - Quant - 45.
Never scored less than 44.

Again took the optional break. Washed my face. Had given up hope and decided i will take a retest for sure. So decided to be care free and give my best shot and get the best out of the verbal section.
Attempted all the questions with full focus and concentration. Ended up with 2 questions in last 3 min. SC. Analysed it for good 2 min and then marked correct option. 1 min or so left for the last CR. Weaken question, eliminated 3 options. Marked the one that felt correct(Gut feeling).

FYI -
GMAT PREP Mock 1 - VA - 28
GMAT PREP Mock 2 - VA - 31
Manhattan PRep 1 - VA 27

Happy with the performance in GMAT.

Overall score

QA 36
VA 34

Now since i know that QUANT bit me hard in getting this dismal score. I have decided myself to give another shot at GMAT.

I need to get some suggestions regarding the strategy before i start my prep again. Please guide me.

Materials used till now -

OG 13.
E-Gmat topics for Verbal. (all the available free material GC).
Manhattan Series (PDF available all series) for varied topics but haven't used them all. Mainly used for Sentence Correction and RC.
GMAT Prep Mocks and questions.

My Target score is 700+.

My target Schools -

1. Mannheim BS FULL TIME MBA GERMANY
2. WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management FULL TIME MBA GERMANY
3. SP Jain GMBA Sydney,Singapore and Dubai
4. Nanyang Business School FULL TIME MBA SIngapore
5.NUS(National University of Singapore) FULL TIME MBA Singapore

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 26

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2015, 08:31

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26    Next  [ 513 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap