It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 76

GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2015, 21:05
Hello everyone,

This is just my second post here. I have been following articles on gmatclub for a little over a month, since I started self-prep for GMAT, that is. Before I begin, here is some context:

I am a 25-year-old Indian Engineer (from one of the better-ranked colleges), with a work experience of 3 years (2 years in Consulting/Analytics, 1 year in Entrepreneurship - We run a Structural Design Consultancy)

I took my first GMAT yesterday and scored 710 (Q50 V35 IR8 AWA pending)

I have scheduled a re-take for November 23, 2015

Now, I know there are many threads in which people who score in the lower 700s are advised not to retake the test and to focus on application instead. That said, the reason why I have opted for a retest at such a short notice, apart from the fact that I am keen on applying for the 2016 R2, is that I have identified the reason for my score dropping below expected levels - Critical Reasoning

Following were my GMATPrep scores:

GMATPrep 1: 690
GMATPrep 2: 760
GMATPrep 3: 760
GMATPrep 4: 750

My Manhattan Prep test scores were in the 700-710 range (barring the ones I took during the initial days of preparation, when I scored a couple of 670s)

The thing is, even when I was scoring well in the practice tests, including the CR section, I was never super-confident while attacking CR questions, unlike in PS, DS, SC and RC for which I have solid strategies and am fairly confident)

Currently, I follow the Veritas Prep methodology for CR - To read the question stem first and then focus on the stimulus. I am, in no way, implying that this is a bad strategy. It's just that I never attacked CR questions with the enthusiasm I usually show for other sections; I get extra cautious in the CR section.

As mentioned earlier, the reason for scheduling the retake so soon is that I am applying for R2 2016. Also, I believe that, with a good game-plan and extra practice for CR, and my regular study plan for other sections, a higher score is possible)

With the context set, I request people to suggest ways/books which could help me cross the CR barrier. :)

P.S. I will post a debrief of my 710 soon.

Thanks,
iamnvm

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 76

Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V34
GPA: 3.76
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 11:56
So, this is very frustrating! I took GMAT second time and scored 640, exactly the same as last time I took it a month ago. I do not know what else to do. Standardized tests were never my gem so I need to find a way to prove that I am academically capable. I have 3.8 GPA from liberal arts college in USA and majoring in Econ, wrote thesis, for honor for it. I work I finance as an investment associate, have series licenses. And I am willing to take a class of it helps me to prove that I can do it. So what do you guys think? I am applying GSB, UCLA, CBS, Emory and Tepper <<< do you think it's an ok school selection?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 27

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 28524 [0], given: 5114

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 12:20
Hi. Sorry guys - my reply notifications for this thread appear to have stopped working... I will try to get back with as many of you as I can

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 12:21
MBATeaCup wrote:
So, this is very frustrating! I took GMAT second time and scored 640, exactly the same as last time I took it a month ago. I do not know what else to do. Standardized tests were never my gem so I need to find a way to prove that I am academically capable. I have 3.8 GPA from liberal arts college in USA and majoring in Econ, wrote thesis, for honor for it. I work I finance as an investment associate, have series licenses. And I am willing to take a class of it helps me to prove that I can do it. So what do you guys think? I am applying GSB, UCLA, CBS, Emory and Tepper <<< do you think it's an ok school selection?

Do you know why you make most of your mistakes?
What about Practice Tests? How well did you in practice tests - were they on par or did you get 750's?

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2015, 12:24
iamnvm wrote:
Hello everyone,

This is just my second post here. I have been following articles on gmatclub for a little over a month, since I started self-prep for GMAT, that is. Before I begin, here is some context:

I am a 25-year-old Indian Engineer (from one of the better-ranked colleges), with a work experience of 3 years (2 years in Consulting/Analytics, 1 year in Entrepreneurship - We run a Structural Design Consultancy)

I took my first GMAT yesterday and scored 710 (Q50 V35 IR8 AWA pending)

I have scheduled a re-take for November 23, 2015

Now, I know there are many threads in which people who score in the lower 700s are advised not to retake the test and to focus on application instead. That said, the reason why I have opted for a retest at such a short notice, apart from the fact that I am keen on applying for the 2016 R2, is that I have identified the reason for my score dropping below expected levels - Critical Reasoning

Following were my GMATPrep scores:

GMATPrep 1: 690
GMATPrep 2: 760
GMATPrep 3: 760
GMATPrep 4: 750

My Manhattan Prep test scores were in the 700-710 range (barring the ones I took during the initial days of preparation, when I scored a couple of 670s)

The thing is, even when I was scoring well in the practice tests, including the CR section, I was never super-confident while attacking CR questions, unlike in PS, DS, SC and RC for which I have solid strategies and am fairly confident)

Currently, I follow the Veritas Prep methodology for CR - To read the question stem first and then focus on the stimulus. I am, in no way, implying that this is a bad strategy. It's just that I never attacked CR questions with the enthusiasm I usually show for other sections; I get extra cautious in the CR section.

As mentioned earlier, the reason for scheduling the retake so soon is that I am applying for R2 2016. Also, I believe that, with a good game-plan and extra practice for CR, and my regular study plan for other sections, a higher score is possible)

With the context set, I request people to suggest ways/books which could help me cross the CR barrier. :)

P.S. I will post a debrief of my 710 soon.

Thanks,
iamnvm

Thank you for your post and congratulations on the 710 - I think most folks in this thread would be happy with this score. However, I can understand how some may not....
It seems your practice scores were on par with your final score, which is a good sign - meaning you can practice more and try to study more and measure your progress by taking additional CATs. That's huge... as you will see many folks in this thread took practice tests and got 700's and then walked away with low 600's on the test day.

Again, congratulations and good luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2015, 11:59
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40 (Took last week)

Want to attend Top Ten MBA program. Should I retake?

Never scored above a 660 on GMATPrep (One of the splits was always lower than my potential)

-Entrepreneurial background
-3.8GPA No name college

There is so much information out there and I find myself going back and forth on the decision whether to retake every day. Please advise!

BTW..I started at a 510 (Kaplan), this club has helped me more than I can express.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2015, 22:37
Dear Experts

Please let me know your view on retake:
I gave the GMAT on November 20th and scored 640 (Q49, V 29). IR score is 7 and AWA is 5. I was scoring 640-680 in GMAT prep. My professional background is I am a Chemical Engineer passed with distinction from University of Mumbai. I have scored distinctions in both my standard 10th and standard 12th SSC boards. Post my graduation I got placed into a German Chemical Company and I joined manufacturing division. I am still working in the same company since the past 4.5 years. I have had good career progression from a trainee to an assistant manager in manufacturing. I have worked in different locations (urban as well as evolving cities). I have got opportunities to work on international assignments as well as constantly interact with colleagues in technical communities globally and regionally. I can get recommendations from senior management as well.
At the moment, I am contemplating on another attempt at the GMAT with a hope that I can improve my score by a few points. Please let me know if I should consider a retake or apply with the score and profile that I have

Regards,
Viraj

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 11:30
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q50/V33/IR5/AWA Pending).

I wanted to know if I should retake the test given that I plan to apply to only the top 10 B-Schools. Another reason why I am thinking about retaking the test is that my today's verbal score was the least that I have got compared to all other mock tests I wrote in the past. My verbal scores in MGMAT CATs have been in the range of 34-41. And in the two GMATPrep tests, my verbal scores were 37 and 44 respectively. So I know I can do better than a 33.

A brief about my profile:
I am an Indian having a prior MBA equivalent degree from one of the top 10 b-schools in India.
Post MBA my work ex has primarily been in financial services - Corp Strat/M&A/IB.
I have a total of 4.5 yrs of work ex including 1 year of pre-mba.
I am an engineer by graduation from one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India.
My CGPA is not a strong point on my resume: MBA CGPA - 6/10 and 68% marks in engineering

I would also like to know how soon should I retake the test if at all. I want to apply in R2 and with the deadlines approaching, I need to start working on my essays and arranging reccos too.

Thanks

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.88
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 21:10
sam2005 wrote:
Hi All,

I took the GMAT today and scored a 700 (Q50/V33/IR5/AWA Pending).

I wanted to know if I should retake the test given that I plan to apply to only the top 10 B-Schools. Another reason why I am thinking about retaking the test is that my today's verbal score was the least that I have got compared to all other mock tests I wrote in the past. My verbal scores in MGMAT CATs have been in the range of 34-41. And in the two GMATPrep tests, my verbal scores were 37 and 44 respectively. So I know I can do better than a 33.

A brief about my profile:
I am an Indian having a prior MBA equivalent degree from one of the top 10 b-schools in India.
Post MBA my work ex has primarily been in financial services - Corp Strat/M&A/IB.
I have a total of 4.5 yrs of work ex including 1 year of pre-mba.
I am an engineer by graduation from one of the top 10 engineering colleges in India.
My CGPA is not a strong point on my resume: MBA CGPA - 6/10 and 68% marks in engineering

I would also like to know how soon should I retake the test if at all. I want to apply in R2 and with the deadlines approaching, I need to start working on my essays and arranging reccos too.

Thanks

IMHO you probably should retake it and try for a better verbal score as your score is rather imbalanced. bb's original post in this thread does advise too that one of the situations where you should retake is if your score is imbalanced i.e.
bb wrote:
You have a have a relatively high GMAT score, but your Verbal score is significantly lower than your Quant score--common with engineers and Indian IT types.
Plus if you think you have a good chance of doing better than 33 in verbal, you should do the retake asap. When I did my first GMAT I had an eye infection and wound up with a 680 score, but I knew I could do better so I re-took it at the earliest opportunity and got a much higher score.

Additionally, because you already have an MBA, the top schools don't appear to look favorably on someone looking to get a second MBA so you need to really work on demonstrating why you need another one in your essays. In between prepping for your retake you should start thinking about the structure of your essay and what key points you'd like to make.

Btw you should probably arrange your recommendations now even if you haven't started on your applications yet. It's advisable to give your recommenders as much time as possible to write you a good recommendation. I sent out recommender notifications after I did my first GMAT test before I re-took it so that my recommenders would have enough time.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2015, 09:55
Thanks Xyeek! Everyone I have spoken to is of the same opinion. Has made the decision quite easy for me. Will be retaking the test soon!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 13:58
Hey all! So I just took the GMAT for the first time this morning and got a 640 (39 on verbal and quantitative). Although I scored 700 on 3 practice tests, I'm okay with the 640. However, I totally bombed the IR section (2 -- 12%) which is kind of weird because I got 8's on all my practices. I am only applying to state schools - alabama, new york, arizona, so I am wondering if y'all think i need to retake it based on my super low IR score? Also, I have a 3.8 GPA and the first deadline is on January 5th, so if i retake I would have to wait until the second deadline.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 18:55
HI, 2 days back i took my GMAT and got a score of 510 which is a total surprise to me as im expecting above 600. and i scheduled my next test in 1 month.
can anyone suggest me how to prepare.
Thanks in advance

Intern
Intern

Retaking gmat. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 18:56
HI, 2 days back i took my GMAT and got a score of 510 which is a total surprise to me as im expecting above 600. and i scheduled my next test in 1 month.
can anyone suggest me how to prepare.
Thanks in advance

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 08:11
Just started a blog on my experience. Feel free to ask any questions! i received a lot of help so would love to pay it forward

https://atych16.wordpress.com/

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Rotman '19
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q50 V24
GPA: 2.94
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 11:46
I received a score of 620 (Q50 , V24) . I was constantly scoring V32-V36 in all my mock tests (MGMAT and GMATprep) . I am not really sure what happened on D-day. I am planning to retake GMAT in a month, so just wanted to know if there is anything that I can do differently in order to not get surprised again :).

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.3
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2016, 05:47
Dear Friends ,

I gave my first GMAT exam on 23rd Dec 2015 , & my score is 740 (Q-50/V-39).
But My AWA & IR scores are very poor , 4 & 3 respectively. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Should i retake the exam..??

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 16:56
Hey Everyone,

So I took the GMAT on Friday and came back with a 42 Quant (50%) and 42 Verbal (96%) for a combined 690 (86%). While this is an overall good score, I was hoping to break 700 and had taken a GMATPrep test the week before that put me at 47Q/40V and a 710. While I obviously under performed on Quant, I also scored higher than any practice test I ever did on Verbal. What I am wondering is how important is it for adcoms to see similar percentiles for each category? I am planning on applying to some top 10-15 schools and I'm worried that the combo of right below average with a low Quant score will automatically eliminate me before they get the chance to look at my actual application/work experience which I think will be my strongest part. That being said - I am also concerned about retaking the GMAT and possibly getting a lower score. This was my second time taking the GMAT in 20 days - first time I kinda freaked out on the pacing and got a 37/38 which I promptly canceled.

For background, I am not a strong math student but I do have two A's in college level Calc and Stats. Also, I am 24 - 3 years of work experience in product management and product marketing for 2 of the large SaaS companies - specifically in MarTech. Reason why I mention is that my role is a little more technical so I'm not sure if that helps will reassure adcoms that I can handle the rigor of MBA quant related classes

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 12:29
ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED!

-I took the GMAT blindly in 2013 and got a - 550

I took the GMAT two more times in 2015 and got a 500 and a 610 respectively. I applied to a handful of programs MBA programs and the MPA program at Columbia. I was accepted at Columbia, but turned it down to try for the MBA. My alma mater, Georgia Tech also denied me due to my GMAT score despite being the President of the Undergraduate Business Ambassadors at Scheller during my tenure and having a decent 3+ GPA.

I'm currently waitlisted at a top 20 program and was asked about a GMAT re-take. I prepped for 3 months with a Kaplan course and by studying at least 1 hour every week night and taking a practice test every weekend. My CATs were averaging about 680-690 by the time it was time for my exam yesterday, and to my horror and disbelief, and that of my tutor as well, I scored a 600. 39 Verbal and 35 Quant. Should I try and take the test again? I don't want to try 5 times and still fail, because I feel so defeated by this test.

I have a strong professional background. I worked in consulting after graduation and now work for a major tech company.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 08:12
bb wrote:
You should definitely go thorugh the Kaplan class books again if you can - you will pick something new.

MGMAT SC is good. You can get either MGMAT SC or PowerScore SC - but don't get both as they are pretty much the same. Your SC should improve - make sure you don't move on until you understood each section fully and if you have to - reread 2 or 3 times.

You have probably seen this thread but just in case, gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html here is a 1-2 month study plan for how to get over the 700 hump - any feedback how to improve it is welcome.

For math, not really many recommendations. You will always see some unusual questions on the GMAT - the whole concept of it, so don't get alarmed too much. Just know arithmetic and how to solve word problems and basic combinations/probability.

What is V&M official books?

I want to practice questions on quant but coundn't find a good resource just like OG has around 250. Do you know a good source to practice questions (just sit one day open the link and start solving questions). I know the database of Gmatclub is huge as well but here the questions are divided by topics. Do you have something where there all all questions.

Please help

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2016, 08:12
bb wrote:
You should definitely go thorugh the Kaplan class books again if you can - you will pick something new.

MGMAT SC is good. You can get either MGMAT SC or PowerScore SC - but don't get both as they are pretty much the same. Your SC should improve - make sure you don't move on until you understood each section fully and if you have to - reread 2 or 3 times.

You have probably seen this thread but just in case, gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html here is a 1-2 month study plan for how to get over the 700 hump - any feedback how to improve it is welcome.

For math, not really many recommendations. You will always see some unusual questions on the GMAT - the whole concept of it, so don't get alarmed too much. Just know arithmetic and how to solve word problems and basic combinations/probability.

What is V&M official books?

I want to practice questions on quant but coundn't find a good resource just like OG has around 250. Do you know a good source to practice questions (just sit one day open the link and start solving questions). I know the database of Gmatclub is huge as well but here the questions are divided by topics. Do you have something where there are just questions.

Please help

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 09 May 2016, 08:12

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26    Next  [ 513 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap