It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2017, 04:40
Hi all, just finished my GMAT (first attempt)! Scored 720: Q47, V41, IR8, AWA most likely 6.
Now, the question... should I retake it? I scored 760 and 740 on GMATPrep CATs, and 710, 720 and 730 on Optimus Prep ones. Recently I Always scored at least Q49...

720 is good, 94th percentile, but will be enough? Especially with that shameful 63rd quant percentile...
I am applying for msc finance in Europe, my priority would be LSE.

Am I crazy to even consider retaking or that 720 may not be enough?

P.s. Does the IR actually count anything? I am super proud of that 8.. do business schools look at it?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 03:23
Thank you for sharing with us..I found your questions to be very informative and interesting.

All About Interview Tips, Resume Writing, Career Guidance, Entrance Exam. Tips & Tricks

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 08:15
First GMAT taken 2 weeks ago: 750 Q47/V47 w/ 5IR and 5AWA

Had a solid GPA in undergrad at state school (3.96 in Finance/Management) I'm aiming for top schools but am concerned my work experience will not be enough: 2 years financial services company (marketing/sales for mortgages & 2 summers of finance internships at fortune 100 company).

I honestly believe that with two weeks I could get Q up to 50 or so, likely boosting my score.

Worthwhile to retake?

Thanks guys!

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1888 [0], given: 454

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 12:03
nole1112 wrote:
First GMAT taken 2 weeks ago: 750 Q47/V47 w/ 5IR and 5AWA

Had a solid GPA in undergrad at state school (3.96 in Finance/Management) I'm aiming for top schools but am concerned my work experience will not be enough: 2 years financial services company (marketing/sales for mortgages & 2 summers of finance internships at fortune 100 company).

I honestly believe that with two weeks I could get Q up to 50 or so, likely boosting my score.

Worthwhile to retake?

Thanks guys!

Holy crap, congratulations on that 750! And on that great GPA!

It's hard for me to imagine that you NEED to do any better, but if you think you can get a 50, then go out and do it! An eye-popping quant score can only help your case, and in the scheme of the six-figure MBA investment, a couple of weeks + $250 isn't all that huge of a cost. I'd go for it.

The biggest risk -- and it's not much of a risk, really -- is that your verbal score is so magnificently high that one or two more errors might cost you a couple of points, even if you don't do anything differently. But even then, I think schools would (mildly) prefer to see a 50Q/44V than a 47Q/47V. At the very least, it can't hurt to take one or two more shots at the test if you think you can do better.

Let us know what happens! Feel free to tag me if you end up writing a debrief -- I'm always curious to see how these things end up. Good luck with the retake!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

GMAT Ninja Wednesdays LIVE on YouTube
Join us, and ask your questions in advance!

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |
November webinar schedule

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 20:24
Hi,

Hi considering retaking the GMAT again. I just graduated from a top Ivy with a finance degree but low-ish GPA (3.3). I am now working in finance. Took the gmat just in case.

July 2017: 710 - Q44, V42 (AWA: 6, IR: 6)
August 30 2017: 710 - Q49, V39 (IR: 7)

Practice Exams:
GMAC 1 (End of June 2017): Q49, V38 (710)
GMAC 2 (End of June 2017): Q48, V46 (750)

I ran out of time on Verbal (3 questions) this time around, which I think led me to a lower than expected score. I also ran out of time on the Quant and did not answer 1 question.
Would love input! Thank you!

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 32

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 12:10
allyb95 wrote:
Hi,

Hi considering retaking the GMAT again. I just graduated from a top Ivy with a finance degree but low-ish GPA (3.3). I am now working in finance. Took the gmat just in case.

July 2017: 710 - Q44, V42 (AWA: 6, IR: 6)
August 30 2017: 710 - Q49, V39 (IR: 7)

Practice Exams:
GMAC 1 (End of June 2017): Q49, V38 (710)
GMAC 2 (End of June 2017): Q48, V46 (750)

I ran out of time on Verbal (3 questions) this time around, which I think led me to a lower than expected score. I also ran out of time on the Quant and did not answer 1 question.
Would love input! Thank you!

The GMAT is within ~30 points of your true ability, so I think it's scoring you correctly -- only take it again if you have time to study in a more in-depth manner this time around.

And just out of curiousity, which "top Ivys" have finance degrees? I know HYP don't, and isn't Wharton technically "Economics?"

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 15:43
Haardvark wrote:
The GMAT is within ~30 points of your true ability, so I think it's scoring you correctly -- only take it again if you have time to study in a more in-depth manner this time around.

And just out of curiousity, which "top Ivys" have finance degrees? I know HYP don't, and isn't Wharton technically "Economics?"

Wharton is Econ degree but B.S. versus B.A and offers choice of concentrations (i.e. finance, stat, mktg, etc.)

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.8
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 05:18
allyb95 wrote:
Haardvark wrote:

Wharton is Econ degree but B.S. versus B.A and offers choice of concentrations (i.e. finance, stat, mktg, etc.)

Understood -- I was rejected by Wharton so I wouldn't know :grin:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 01:00
bb wrote:
Thank you for the feedback - it does put things into perspective and, by the way, 710 is a great score. Congratulations.
Allow me to remind everyone reading this thread that average gmat score is 540, so even a 650 is a lot better than average.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

Working a job and studying becomes really hard. Plus, thinking about scoring good is stressful.

This post is much needed.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 06:06
Hi guys,
Took my GMAT yesterday, scored 740 (q49, v42).
Shall i retake it?

I think my verbal score reflects my true ability. But in quant i scored better in gmat prep exams.
My gmat prep score
1. 760 (50,42)
2. 750 (50, 41)

I know i can definitely score a 50 on my quant and can notch it up for verbal as well.
I belong to the Indian IT Male category. So i want to know if 740 is really competitive considering that? I think i can hit a 760/770 on the retake.
I have a very low GPA (2.7).
Work experience (3 years)
I wish to apply to the top 30 colleges ( have not shortlisted any right now)

If you guys need any other information to help me out with my dilemma, please let me know, i will be happy to provide it.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 11:45
blahblahblah73564 wrote:
I know i can definitely score a 50 on my quant and can notch it up for verbal as well.
I belong to the Indian IT Male category. So i want to know if 740 is really competitive considering that? I think i can hit a 760/770 on the retake.

I think you just answered your own question. :)

Congrats on the 740, and good luck with your retake and applications!!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Friendly warning: I'm bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses | Comparisons, part I |

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:49
GMATNinja wrote:
blahblahblah73564 wrote:

I think you just answered your own question. :)

Congrats on the 740, and good luck with your retake and applications!!

Thanks a lot for your help. I just want to know if a 20/30 point increase will make a difference. I plan to apply in R2 and since time is an issue, should i start to put focus on my applications or will retaking really help me with my chances of getting an admit.

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 11:19
blahblahblah73564 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your help. I just want to know if a 20/30 point increase will make a difference. I plan to apply in R2 and since time is an issue, should i start to put focus on my applications or will retaking really help me with my chances of getting an admit.

IIT male with a 2.7 GPA? Unfortunately, you're going to need every point you can possibly get on the GMAT. And I'd give this advice to almost anybody: if you're pretty sure that you can increase your score by 20-30 extra points, it's probably worth doing it. With that 2.7, it's definitely worth it.

I hope this helps!

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31

Show Tags

New post 07 Nov 2017, 00:11
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi,

I just took my GMAT exam and my Score is 690 (V-31,Q-50,IR-8).

I am an Engineer graduate from one of the very reputed college in India with GPA 4. I am working as Linux and VMware administrator with 7 years of experience.

I am targeting Chicago based universities, primarily Booth and Kellog.

Please suggest if I should try for round 2 with this GMAT score or Should I retake the exam?

Looking forward for your suggestions.
Thank you!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 07:16
Hi all,

I just took my first GMAT and have a VERY lopsided score (T 710, V48, Q40, IR6). I'm almost 90% that I should retake to try and rebalance the scores especially as I don't have a strong quant background, have not done maths since my first year of my undergrad and have until mid-March before the first round of applications is due for the schools I'm looking at.

Does everyone agreed that I should retake (I'm looking at INSEAD and IE in Europe for reference)? I have 5+ years international experience so think holistically I can make an attractive case but would be really keen to get feedback.

Secondly, if I did have to resit, what should be my approach to studying quant for the next month? Ironically, I spent 10% of the last 2.5 months studying verbal and the rest on quant. I would say I have strong problem solving skills generally but am getting flustered when working on quant questions to time as the overall maths is a bit rusty. I previously kept an error log and tried to focus on my weak points as much as possible but ultimate got thrown by a few tricky questions on test day.

Thanks in advance!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 15:48
jenmcel wrote:
Hi all,

I just took my first GMAT and have a VERY lopsided score (T 710, V48, Q40, IR6). I'm almost 90% that I should retake to try and rebalance the scores especially as I don't have a strong quant background, have not done maths since my first year of my undergrad and have until mid-March before the first round of applications is due for the schools I'm looking at.

Does everyone agreed that I should retake (I'm looking at INSEAD and IE in Europe for reference)? I have 5+ years international experience so think holistically I can make an attractive case but would be really keen to get feedback.

Secondly, if I did have to resit, what should be my approach to studying quant for the next month? Ironically, I spent 10% of the last 2.5 months studying verbal and the rest on quant. I would say I have strong problem solving skills generally but am getting flustered when working on quant questions to time as the overall maths is a bit rusty. I previously kept an error log and tried to focus on my weak points as much as possible but ultimate got thrown by a few tricky questions on test day.

Thanks in advance!

Whoa, congrats on that killer verbal score! Any chance you could bottle that up and send it to some of our suffering pals in the verbal forum? ;)

And yeah, you'll almost certainly need to retake. Schools might be legitimately worried about your ability to handle the quantitative coursework with a 40Q, unfortunately. The 710 composite is probably fine, but they'll want some reassurance of quant skill.

If you only have a month to study, you might want to seriously consider hiring a tutor to help you jump-start the process. I also suspect that one of the titans of the GMAT Club quant forum have constructed a quant study plan for folks in your situation. (Bunuel or souvik101990, could I trouble one of you to point her in the right direction for a one-month quant crash course?)

enegoel wrote:
Hi,

I just took my GMAT exam and my Score is 690 (V-31,Q-50,IR-8).

I am an Engineer graduate from one of the very reputed college in India with GPA 4. I am working as Linux and VMware administrator with 7 years of experience.

I am targeting Chicago based universities, primarily Booth and Kellog.

Please suggest if I should try for round 2 with this GMAT score or Should I retake the exam?

Looking forward for your suggestions.
Thank you!!

Congrats on the killer quant score!

You just said two magic words: "engineer" and "India." Unless you walk on water, you'll need to score much higher than a 690 -- and if anybody tells you otherwise, check your wallet. Sorry for the bad news. :?

Plenty of determined GMAT Club members have made the leap on verbal, though. Check out this one for inspiration: https://gmatclub.com/forum/abhimahna-s- ... 49109.html

Good luck to you both!

Need an expert reply?

YouTube verbal webinars:

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 07:42
Hi everyone! I took GMAT abot a month ago and got 700 (Q 46, V 40) but since I plan to apply for top B-schools I want to retake it in less than a month. Would be grateful if you could advise on how I should study to improve the score to at least 740+, especially in quant. I also have a problem with timing on quant part and would like to hear about time saving strategies.

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2017, 07:42

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   [ 517 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap