It is currently 23 Feb 2018, 08:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2018, 10:46
GMATNinja wrote:
stablegenius wrote:
Hi guys,

I wrote the GMAT for the first time 3 weeks ago and got a 700 (Q47, V38, IR8, AWA5). I only studied quant because diagnostic tests suggested it was my clear weakness, and that was on and off for 6 weeks in ad hoc fashion. Based on my ESR, SC is holding me back from getting a V43-45 (it's considerably lower than my CR and RC), and I believe that I can push my quant to at least 49 with a more disciplined study regimen.

I studied at a small Canadian school (commerce degree) and have a poor GPA, so I'm wondering if it's worth retaking the GMAT as a matter of improving the academic side of my applications. I begin full time work soon, so any applications would be for 2019 at the earliest.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

If your username is a reference to a certain orange-haired fellow, then that's pretty funny. :)

Three different thoughts about retaking:

• In general, if you think you can improve your score, why not do it? You're saying that your studying wasn't consistent, and you think you can get a 49... and I'd argue that SC is the most learnable part of GMAT verbal. So you're leaving points on the table right now. Might as well go get them, right?
  • Depending on where you want to get your MBA, the score might be fine the way it is. You're in the range for pretty much any Canadian school, for example; if you're targeting elite (say, top-15) U.S. programs, then a 700 + low GPA + relatively unknown undergrad program probably won't do the trick.
  • #covfefe (Ignore this bullet if I've misinterpreted your username. :grin:)

It doesn't sound like you have much reason NOT to retake, but if your MBA goals are relatively modest, then you might be fine.

I hope this helps, and welcome to GMAT Club!

Appreciate the advice GMATNinja. For the record, you're correct about the reference, though the name choice is definitely not an endorsement. :-D

I have a few more questions - I am beginning full time work soon that will require me to study for a certification within the first few months in the job. What kind of regression can I expect in quant capability from several months of little to no GMAT study? As well, do you suggest any quant and SC improvement plans for someone that would be studying after work on weekdays and/or on the weekends? (For quant, something to push a 47 to a 49 or 50; for SC, a plan to improve a 24 subscore into line with my other subscores above 40).

Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2018, 03:18
Hi all!

Currently I have a huge dilemma about retaking GMAT. Score: 690 (V37; Q48; IR 6)
Actually, 690 is my real ability; therefore I need around 6 weeks of hard work in order to reach 700+ score.

There is no problem for me to study more and retake, but I am concerned about time. In my case, money is a big deal; therefore I strongly need a scholarship :angel: So, is it better to apply in January with the score 690 or in early March with the score 720-730? As far as I know, the earlier an application is submitted the better is the chance of receiving a scholarship.

Target schools:
LSE Management&Strategy (hope for Graduate award) > St Gallen SIM (affordable fees) > Bocconi Finance (merit) > ESADE (Master in International Management)
Career goal: break into management consulting in London or EU (quite ambitious, I know :grin: )

Profile:
Age 22
Major: Economics in a leading local University (non-EU)
GPA: 4.5/5
With extracurricular everything is OK (proficient tennis player and gymnast, winner of uni sport competitions, volunteer in ecological festival)
Work experience: Associate Brand Manager at P&G (4 month exp. currently), 2 internships at Unilever (Customer Development - 6 months full-time in total)
Considerable knowledge of German and Italian
Intern
Intern
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2018, 01:26
Nice this is really a good article thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 11:41
Hey guys!
If you need 2018 OFFICIAL GMAT REVIEW BOOK, you can purchase it from me for just ₹750/-
Message me if interested.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2018, 11:00
Hi all,

I've only been on this forum for a few days (opened an account two days before my GMAT). Since you guys are so knowledgable and helpful, I would appreciate some advice. I scored 750 (50Q, 41V) with IR:8 (haven't received AWA score yet). I did do several practice questions on this forum, but the actual GMAT was the first full exam I had taken. Is it worth a retake (along with a month of studying)? If any other info would be useful, please let me know.

Thank you all!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 04:41
Need Experts' advise or any body who can help!!

Please reply as soon as possible.

I gave Gmatprep test no. 2 today (18th Feb, 2018) and score was 510(V:21 & Q: 39) the low verbal score was because I got the "last ten questions wrong", As I had to rush through at the end of the verbal section.
In Gmatprep test 1(taken on 12th Feb, 2018) my score was 580 (V:28 & Q 42) (I got 3-4 repeat questions in each section quant and verbal)
My exam is scheduled on 7th march, 2018, I want to score at least above 600.
Please suggest will it be possible??
Need help how to dedicate my last 15 days.
I have 2 Gmatprep test left from the Exam pack 1 that I have not taken yet.

Thank you in advance.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Piyush0731

Work on as many official questions for Verbal till 27th of February. Focus your
preparation specifically on those topics which are still weak for you. You can easily
find which of the topics need work by analyzing the two GMATPrep tests that you
have taken.

On the 28th take the third test(either of the tests from the EP1) and see how you
perform. Make sure to work on your timing the next time you give the exam the
next time around.

You could also read the following post to understand what needs to be done:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-to-do-3 ... 52506.html

If you are still 50+ points away from your target score, I would recommend you
to delay your exam by a month atleast

Hope this helps you!

Stay hungry, Stay foolish

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Class of 2020: Rotman Thread | Schulich Thread
Class of 2019: Sauder Thread

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 06:40
Thank you very much! pushpitkc
Re: Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2018, 06:40

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   [ 528 posts ] 

Should I Retake GMAT Thread - Retaking GMAT Strategies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR FEBRUARY
Math Revolution - $69/mo Type Coupon Code: HOTDEAL2
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - $75 off all packages Valentine's special. Valid until Feb. 15
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap