GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V35
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2019, 13:19
I recently applied to three different MBA Full Time programs for the Fall of 2019 and was admitted to all three, which I am very excited about.

I currently work in the manufacturing industry and am hoping that an MBA will help me build both the skills and the connections necessary to take over a company in the near future.

The reason I am posting is to get some feedback on my top two options: Schulich MBA and Ted Rogers MBA.

I am very interested in living in Toronto for a couple of years (mostly due to personal connections) but am really struggling with choosing my future school. I am confident they are both competitive schools but am hoping some of you will have some insights that will assist me in my decision.

I know that the Schulich MBA program has a better reputation, stronger ranking, and arguably a more well-connected alumni network but also know that the Ted Rogers MBA program has been making significant strides as of late as well.

In terms of location, Ted Rogers is much more centrally located in downtown Toronto, whereas Schulich is much further away (about a 40 minute subway ride from downtown). Because I want to live closer to downtown, I give the location edge to Ted Rogers but am also aware that commuting is an option if I attend Schulich (although I am not certain how common that is).

Another consideration for me is the cost of the two schools. Obviously Ted Rogers is about half the price of Schulich, but that does not necessarily mean the ROI will be better in the long run.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some information or even a personal opinion that I can take into consideration prior to making this significant life decision.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can give me!
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 07:32
Luke95 wrote:
I recently applied to three different MBA Full Time programs for the Fall of 2019 and was admitted to all three, which I am very excited about.

I currently work in the manufacturing industry and am hoping that an MBA will help me build both the skills and the connections necessary to take over a company in the near future.

The reason I am posting is to get some feedback on my top two options: Schulich MBA and Ted Rogers MBA.

I am very interested in living in Toronto for a couple of years (mostly due to personal connections) but am really struggling with choosing my future school. I am confident they are both competitive schools but am hoping some of you will have some insights that will assist me in my decision.

I know that the Schulich MBA program has a better reputation, stronger ranking, and arguably a more well-connected alumni network but also know that the Ted Rogers MBA program has been making significant strides as of late as well.

In terms of location, Ted Rogers is much more centrally located in downtown Toronto, whereas Schulich is much further away (about a 40 minute subway ride from downtown). Because I want to live closer to downtown, I give the location edge to Ted Rogers but am also aware that commuting is an option if I attend Schulich (although I am not certain how common that is).

Another consideration for me is the cost of the two schools. Obviously Ted Rogers is about half the price of Schulich, but that does not necessarily mean the ROI will be better in the long run.

Hopefully someone can provide me with some information or even a personal opinion that I can take into consideration prior to making this significant life decision.

Congrats on your admit. I suggest you go with Schulich. Though it is costing high compared with Ted Rogers, you will get a very good alumni network and brand with Schulich.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2019, 09:24
Hi Luke95! Welcome to GMAT Club and congrats on your admits!

1. It is good you have a network in Toronto - you will likely need to leverage to score an internship and possibly a job
2. Canadian recruiters/employers tend to be more focused on the work experience rather than brand name, so you could attend a lesser known and cheaper program potentially if you have a strong local network that could help you with recruiting and referrals for jobs
3. Rotman is the strongest program in Canada and Toronto. They will likely attract the most employers and on campus recruiting opportunities, though even there, I am hearing that internships come at a premium
4. If you have undergrad loans, I would consider the cheaper program just to lessen your fin burden
5. My biggest concern is that you will be disappointed with Ted Rogers program and the caliber of students it selects. While it is making strides and improvements, it is usually hard to make a big difference quickly. The process takes years... because every other school is also working and trying to better its position. It is not like Ted Rogers is making strides and everyone else is sitting on their rear ends smelling daisies.
6. Talk to current students (ask Admissions to connect you with some of them and do a coffee chat if you can in the city - meet them for drinks potentially or some other opportunity). AdCom will likely connect you with the "elite" of the class to put their best foot forward, so keep that in mind and make sure you can figure out the right people to meet/chat with. Remember - nobody will call their baby ugly and few MBA alums will say negative things about their school/program but they will not lie either, so you just have to read the silence or their reservations. It is a bit of an art.
7. Whichever program you attend, you will have to work your butt off and network so you can recruit. Good jobs and internships are not handed and require fighting and suffering. Start your networking early - September! There is no time to take a break or a breather unfortunately. As soon as classes start, you will need to start working and pushing to find an internship. That's the only way unfortunately.
Concentration: Finance
Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2019, 14:40
Luke95 wrote:

Hello Luke95

This is fairly easy choice, which is a good news for you. ;)

Ryerson is second tier school/university.

End of story.

Schulich is consider usually to be top 4 nationally and second best in Toronto, after Rotman.

I can see that Shulich partners even with Kellogg. (for executive MBA)

Enough said.

Dont go cheap when you need to invest in your future. :idea:

Shulich is placed in 8. place globally for 2 year MBA programs by Forbes :

https://www.forbes.com/business-schools/#28a7801e6d6d

Most of the time, in various rankings Ryerson is not even mentioned :-D , but Schulich is always on top :cool: :

https://find-mba.com/lists/top-business ... -in-canada

https://www.topuniversities.com/univers ... anada/2019

https://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/ful ... anada-2019

https://www.canadianbusiness.com/lists- ... 7/slide-11

https://www.mbacrystalball.com/business-schools/canada

https://www.macleans.ca/education/best- ... 9-ranking/

http://www.eduniversal-ranking.com/busi ... anada.html

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-best-uni ... -in-Canada

http://www.infozee.com/channels/mba/can ... nkings.htm

Picking a school on base being more close to downtown compared with another in same town is really ridiculous, honestly. :roll:

MBA is all about networking, cohort, prestige and reputation of the school for employers, the rest you could learn on your own. :idea:

Go to Schulich.

Good Luck :cool:
Current Student
G
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2019, 00:36
You WIll do MBA once and Shulich is a better option than Ted Rogers. Not Only for reputation but also for the learning environment you will get from your fellow classmates. That's most important. after completion of the program You can relocate to any location you want being sure that you will get a decent job not only because have a good degree from good program but also because you have connection to utilise.

I hope it helps.
All the best.
Re: Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2019, 00:36

Shulich MBA or Ted Rogers MBA?

new topic post reply Update application status