GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Shy adolescents  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2010, 10:56
great question it went of like a beamer thanku for the explanations
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2010, 22:33
great question, awesome exp gaurav

Be willing to fail. It's the price of greatness. ;)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:35
Great question and explanation! The question took me a long time to solve.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2010, 03:01
Awesome!
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2010, 07:15
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

You got to the right answer, for the right reason, already, so I only have one thing to add. The way to improve generally at CR is to start to recognize patterns in both the passage structures and the answer choices. For what it's worth, this question falls into one of the 4 categories we separate out within the greater category of "assumption" questions.

The first category (represented in this question) is "logic gap". Just as honeyrai so efficiently explained, there is a syllogism here with a missing piece. In case you've forgotten, a syllogism is a logical argument that works in this way: If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Logic gap questions tend to say a = b, so a = c, and we lose out on that important b = c part. If you start to recognize this as a pattern that comes back again and again, you're more likely not to fall for a trick or trap.

Word up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Tommy. I did eliminations and saw the answer. Like this one. Is this correct? Pls comment.

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.
Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby. IRRELEVANT. OUT
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness. HOLD
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.

WRONG FOR 2 REASONS.
ONE Y-> X IS WRONG (No friends -> No hobby)
The sequence was HOBBY -> DISTRACT LONELINESS -> FRIENDS

AND SECOND I NEED UNSTATED PREMISE

(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful IRRELEVANT. OUT
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends. IRRELEVANT. OUT

IMO : B
Manager
Manager
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 12:30
noboru wrote:
20. Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

IMO B
Explanation. Shy adolescents devote to hobby to distract from loneliness.
Sometimes they make friends who share hobby. ( Decreases Loneliness ).
Sometimes loose interest -> loneliness increases.

Conclusion: All consuming hobby is not best strategy for overcoming loneliness.

A. It is out of scope as WIDER CIRCLE OF Friends is not mentioned
B. Since the loneliness is increasing as a result of hobby so this is the assumption behind the conclusion.
C. It is not mentioned that loss of interest in hobby is due to not making friends.
D. Out of scope.
E. It is not mentioned in the passage that adolescents devote to hobby is to make friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MGMAT 6 650 (51,31) on 31/8/11
MGMAT 1 670 (48,33) on 04/9/11
MGMAT 2 670 (47,34) on 07/9/11
MGMAT 3 680 (47,35) on 18/9/11
GMAT Prep1 680 ( 50, 31) on 10/11/11

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CR notes
http://gmatclub.com/forum/massive-collection-of-verbal-questions-sc-rc-and-cr-106195.html#p832142
http://gmatclub.com/forum/1001-ds-questions-file-106193.html#p832133
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-critical-reasoning-collection-106783.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html?hilit=chineseburned

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 19:53
+1 for B.

The introduction of the premise about making friends was a nice distraction. Nowhere in the argument did the author connected it to the reasoning.

Overall the argument is weak. Hence we needed a "Supporter" assumption - a strong statement that would fill in the logical gap. B fits the bill

Nice explanation by catfreak. +1 kudos !!!

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 22:39
I believe that is B.

I used the negate test here.

If a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness intensifies that loneliness, then the argument falls apart badly. The argument basically stated the assumption without explicitly saying so.

I can see D as a tempting choice, but we're only worried about the method of overcoming loneliness with a hobby, and not anything else. Someone wrote that it's out of scope and I agree. If this is a strengthen or weaken question instead, then this is a type of answer choice that can be correct however to strengthen the argument at least superficially.
Manager
Manager
B
WE: Design (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2011, 13:30
Its E or C. Had it been exam i would choose E

Kaustubh

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2011, 13:04
Nice question. Took almost 5 mins to reach B by POE!!

Searched for OA on other forums. Answer is given as B in the link below.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/shy-aadolesc ... a33a8c4b54
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, LBS, Wharton, Kelloggs, Booth

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 10:11
I got E first. But got B later.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
This is saying that a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness NEVER intensifies that loneliness. But the argument says that decreased interest in a hobby intensifies loneliness. This implies a hobby is not a successful strategy, which is,in fact, the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2012, 13:23
Why is D wrong? If developing an all-consuming hobby is not a succesfull strategy the author assumes there is a better strategy

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2012, 08:58
+1 B

If there are successful strategies that could intensify the loneliness, we could not claim that hobbies are not successful.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2012, 07:00
The answer is B. Took me nearly four minutes to confirm B. But that's ok, because that's why there are 40-sec SC questions on the GMAT.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2013, 21:58
lose interest in that hobby => intensifies/exacerbates loneliness
thus, hobby strategy is not success

gap: intensifies loniliness -> not successful strategy / no successful strategy intensifies loneliness

B fills that gap.

Answer: B

Impossible is nothing to God.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2014, 16:43
can any one explain B meaning :

i understood from B is that there are no stratigies will make the loneliness more sever . is my translation correct ? if it is not , why not correct ?

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2014, 09:47
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

(B) No successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.......links new term in conclusion-successful strategy- with term in premise-loneliness ......CORRECT ANSWER......

KUDOS IF YOU PLEASE......
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.62

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 22:07
I'm for B becase the statement says: "all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy" because in case of losing of interest in that hobby, the loneliness may be exacerbated - but B says that No successful strategy ever intensifies that loneliness, there for all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2014, 10:33
I initially picked E but I change my answer to B. B was pretty ugly to read and understand.

The conclusion states that hobbies are not a good solution for adolescent loneliness. "B" explains this by essentially saying a successful strategy should not risk intensifying loneliness.
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby &nbs [#permalink] 14 Nov 2014, 10:33

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 59 posts ] 

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap