GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

     December 14, 2018

     December 14, 2018

     09:00 AM PST

     10:00 AM PST

    10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

     December 13, 2018

     December 13, 2018

     08:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 99
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2015, 02:38
Looks like B to me. Negate B :
There may be some successful strategy which aggravates loneliness => the above strategy can also be successful => Arg falls apart.
_________________

Kudos!!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 04-25-2015
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2015, 06:18
C or D is most suitable for this answer
_________________

Sivanagaraju P
Addicted to Investment Banking

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 538
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2015, 09:20
its been 4 years and the owner of the post never cared to post official answer.
imo D .
_________________

Thanks,
Lucky

_______________________________________________________
Kindly press the Image to appreciate my post !! :-)

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 3
CAT Tests
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 23:20
I think the answer is C. If negate C, Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies. So, hobbies is good for adolescents
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 05:29
I go for B.

Since the conclusion states that developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness because loneliness may be exacerbated if the interest in that hobby is lost, the author assumes that if there is a successful strategy, it will not intensify loneliness.

Please post the OA.
Director
Director
User avatar
B
Status: I don't stop when I'm Tired,I stop when I'm done
Joined: 11 May 2014
Posts: 537
Location: Bangladesh
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 09:54
srushtisanghavi3 wrote:
I go for B.

Since the conclusion states that developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness because loneliness may be exacerbated if the interest in that hobby is lost, the author assumes that if there is a successful strategy, it will not intensify loneliness.

Please post the OA.


Dear srushtisanghavi3, IMO B is wrong
Answer Choice B Says,

(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.

Extreme word "No" pointed to all strategy,but the argument sticked to mention one strategy only.So,I got this Choice as an incorrect option


Quote:
20. Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated.So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.


Here,the tone of the Conclusion(highlighted) of the argument indicated the possibility of the presence of other successful strategy that author assumed.

So IMO, Correct Answer D

Correct me if I missed any point.
Thanks
_________________

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 35
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 10:19
D looks more promising because if there is no other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness than the conclusion will not hold true.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Nov 2015
Posts: 64
GMAT 1: 460 Q32 V22
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2016, 23:23
noboru wrote:
20. Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.



I will go with E. Cause Shy Adolescents make friends because they want to avoid loneliness
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 01 Jul 2014
Posts: 21
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 22:47
i actually attempted this q wrong but after careful consideration realised that option b is correct. as conclusion says developing an all consuming hobby is not a successful strategy to overcome adolescent loneliness. this conclusion is based on assumption that if a strategy is succesful it will not intesify loneliness. i hope it is clear.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Location: India
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 10:24
Can you please help me with this question.

I feel it should be C.
_________________

Regards ,
Dhruv
_________________
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

Thanks :-D

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
P
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2149
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2018, 18:22
1
DhruvPatelD10 wrote:
Can you please help me with this question.

I feel it should be C.

Quote:
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

The author concludes that "developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness." How does the author arrive at that conclusion?

  • If an adolescent is shy, his/her shyness can cause loneliness.
  • To distract themselves from the loneliness, shy adolescents often immerse themselves in an all-consuming hobby.
  • Sometimes, those adolescents meet others who share the same hobby and develop friendships with those other people.
  • For example, two shy adolescents might become friends because they both enjoy playing the same video game.

But what if those adolescents lose interest in the hobby?

  • The friendship between the two shy adolescents, for example, was based on enjoying the same video game.
  • If one person no longer enjoys that video game, the friendship will likely fall apart.
  • Now the shy adolescents will feel lonely again... maybe even more so than before because they had a friend and lost him/her.
  • In other words, the loneliness can be exacerbated, or intensified.

So developing an all-consuming hobby can certainly intensify the adolescents' loneliness. Because of this, the author concludes that developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

But does the fact that the strategy might intensify the adolescent's loneliness mean that the strategy will not help the adolescent overcome the loneliness?

  • What if the intense loneliness actually helps the adolescent overcome the loneliness?
  • For example, maybe the intensified loneliness was so bad that it motivates the adolescent to face his/her shyness and try to talk to more people.
  • In that case, a strategy that intensified the loneliness could also help overcome the loneliness.
  • This example would expose a flaw in the argument.
  • Choice (B) eliminates this possibility, so it is a required assumption.

Choice (C) talks about what happens if the adolescents do NOT make friends through that hobby.

  • Perhaps the adolescents won't lose interest if they don't make any friends through that hobby.
  • In that case, they would remain distracted from their loneliness, but they will not overcome their loneliness.
  • More importantly, the argument focuses on what happens when they DO make friends through the hobby.
  • The hypothetical situation described in choice (C) does not NEED to be true for the argument to hold. Eliminate (C).

(B) is the best answer.
_________________

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jan 2018
Posts: 53
Location: India
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 06:05
GMATNinja wrote:
DhruvPatelD10 wrote:
Can you please help me with this question.

I feel it should be C.

Quote:
Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby to help distract them from the loneliness brought on by their shyness. Sometimes they are able to become friends with others who share their hobby. But if they lose interest in that hobby, their loneliness may be exacerbated. So developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

Which one of the following assumptions does the argument depend on?
(A) Eventually, shy adolescents are going to want a wider circle of friends than is provided by their hobby.
(B) No successful strategy fro overcoming adolescent loneliness ever intensifies that loneliness.
(C) Shy adolescents will lose interest in their hobbies if they do not make friends through their engagement in those hobbies.
(D) Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby.
(E) Shy adolescents devote themselves to hobbies mainly because they want to make friends.

The author concludes that "developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness." How does the author arrive at that conclusion?

  • If an adolescent is shy, his/her shyness can cause loneliness.
  • To distract themselves from the loneliness, shy adolescents often immerse themselves in an all-consuming hobby.
  • Sometimes, those adolescents meet others who share the same hobby and develop friendships with those other people.
  • For example, two shy adolescents might become friends because they both enjoy playing the same video game.

But what if those adolescents lose interest in the hobby?

  • The friendship between the two shy adolescents, for example, was based on enjoying the same video game.
  • If one person no longer enjoys that video game, the friendship will likely fall apart.
  • Now the shy adolescents will feel lonely again... maybe even more so than before because they had a friend and lost him/her.
  • In other words, the loneliness can be exacerbated, or intensified.

So developing an all-consuming hobby can certainly intensify the adolescents' loneliness. Because of this, the author concludes that developing an all-consuming hobby is not a successful strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness.

But does the fact that the strategy might intensify the adolescent's loneliness mean that the strategy will not help the adolescent overcome the loneliness?

  • What if the intense loneliness actually helps the adolescent overcome the loneliness?
  • For example, maybe the intensified loneliness was so bad that it motivates the adolescent to face his/her shyness and try to talk to more people.
  • In that case, a strategy that intensified the loneliness could also help overcome the loneliness.
  • This example would expose a flaw in the argument.
  • Choice (B) eliminates this possibility, so it is a required assumption.

Choice (C) talks about what happens if the adolescents do NOT make friends through that hobby.

  • Perhaps the adolescents won't lose interest if they don't make any friends through that hobby.
  • In that case, they would remain distracted from their loneliness, but they will not overcome their loneliness.
  • More importantly, the argument focuses on what happens when they DO make friends through the hobby.
  • The hypothetical situation described in choice (C) does not NEED to be true for the argument to hold. Eliminate (C).

(B) is the best answer.



I get it now. Thanks a lot for help :)
_________________

Regards ,
Dhruv
_________________
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

Thanks :-D

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 31 Jan 2018
Posts: 70
CAT Tests
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 10:09
For me it is E, author assumes that shy individual develop hobby only to make friends.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2018, 21:43
What does the argument depend on?

From the given options Option A is wrong because nowhere is it mentioned that a need for wider circle is there
Option B is wrong because it clearly states that loss in hobby can result loss in friends.
Option C and E is wrong because the first line says that shy kids want a hobby because they are lonely, not because they want friends, friends is just added to the benefit.
Option D = Some other strategy for overcoming adolescent loneliness is generally more successful than is developing an all-consuming hobby. is mentio0ned and the only option remaining. Please let me know if the logic seems correct.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Dec 2015
Posts: 3
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 05:20
OFFICIAL ANSWER IS B, RATHER THAN D.

PLEASE CORRECT!
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 17 Aug 2015
Posts: 102
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
Reviews Badge
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2018, 21:17
I think the answer is A. You made few friends while pursuing a hobby. This friend circle is not enough during adolescent Loneliness as you need broader circle of friends


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 258
CAT Tests
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2018, 09:09
sayantanc2k broall Mahmud6

Please change the OA from D to B. The OA is B and the person who posted this question posted the OA as D. Please see the following link for more proof. This question is taken directly from Manhattan Logical Reasoning book!

Link: https://books.google.com/books?id=2HWeD ... 0t&f=false

Thank You!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2018, 21:18
In the line "if they lose interest.." . whom does "they" refer to? the shy kids starting the hobby or the new friends?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby &nbs [#permalink] 23 Feb 2018, 21:18

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 58 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Shy adolescents often devote themselves totally to a hobby

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.