Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dukes - No, I wasn't thinking of jumping around to collect signing bonuses, but I was thinking if I signed on with a consulting company and was totally burnt out after a year or two and decided it wasn't for me if I'd have to give the money back.

But I was also wondering if signing bonuses were a premium that companies pay to snatch up MBA's, or if it's a pretty standard job thing, like if I work in consulting for a few years, then decide to move to industry finance, it would be nice if there were a signing bonus there.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Signing bonus and stock options are pretty standard in most industries.

johnnyx9 wrote:
Dukes - No, I wasn't thinking of jumping around to collect signing bonuses, but I was thinking if I signed on with a consulting company and was totally burnt out after a year or two and decided it wasn't for me if I'd have to give the money back.

But I was also wondering if signing bonuses were a premium that companies pay to snatch up MBA's, or if it's a pretty standard job thing, like if I work in consulting for a few years, then decide to move to industry finance, it would be nice if there were a signing bonus there.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes. I've read students take their signing bonuses and go on group vacations just after graduation and before work starts. It sounds like a great experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
One interesting thing that I found out while at an admit weekend was that many firms will pay out the signing bonus at the end of your internship to entice you to commit to them before going back to school.

All along, I was thinking they would wait til you graduate to finalize things, but MAN! $30 - $50k sounds like an awesome way to finish off the summer!

:lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
fluffydot wrote:
One interesting thing that I found out while at an admit weekend was that many firms will pay out the signing bonus at the end of your internship to entice you to commit to them before going back to school.

All along, I was thinking they would wait til you graduate to finalize things, but MAN! $30 - $50k sounds like an awesome way to finish off the summer!

:lol:

30 to 50 ???

More like 10 to 20.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I've heard that sometimes when you join a company in the middle of a given year and you're not eligible for a year end bonus the company will offer the sign on to both motivate you to make the jump and as sort of a pre-paid year end bonus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
mattyb wrote:
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I've heard that sometimes when you join a company in the middle of a given year and you're not eligible for a year end bonus the company will offer the sign on to both motivate you to make the jump and as sort of a pre-paid year end bonus.

I've seen it happen more as a bonus buyout - to convince you to move - especially if bonuses are big part of comp. I know someone in IB who had a 200K bonus last year, and another firm is trying to recruit them now. As part of the recruiting package, they are offering a $200K sign on as a "bonus buyout" - on top of the actual annual bonus.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
mattyb wrote:

I've seen it happen more as a bonus buyout - to convince you to move - especially if bonuses are big part of comp. I know someone in IB who had a 200K bonus last year, and another firm is trying to recruit them now. As part of the recruiting package, they are offering a $200K sign on as a "bonus buyout" - on top of the actual annual bonus.

That too...which would be pretty darn nice. This is fairly common with financial planners and credit relationship managers (commercial loan officers) as they are expected to bring a lot of business with them when they jump ship to another company.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
mattyb wrote:

Rhyme, how senior is that guy? That's an awful lot of money for a sign-on bonus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Signing bonuses in most cases for new MBAs ( in finance especially)are really payments for moving costs. Believe me, the $10-20K really don't go a long way especially after taxes, payments for moving, securing a new apartment , some furnishings and perhaps a new wardrobe.

All the people hired by IBs straight from undergrads were not given any relocation perks, just signing bonuses.

Of course, signing bonuses associated with higher level positions (after years of experience) are considered extras, with many other perks thrown in as part of the deal.

I have heard that Fortune 500 companies may throw in relocation costs but with a lower signing bonus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
rhyme wrote:
mattyb wrote:

Rhyme, how senior is that guy? That's an awful lot of money for a sign-on bonus.

She's an established associate with about 7 years of IB experience.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
cbreeze wrote:
Signing bonuses in most cases for new MBAs ( in finance especially)are really payments for moving costs. Believe me, the $10-20K really don't go a long way especially after taxes, payments for moving, securing a new apartment , some furnishings and perhaps a new wardrobe.

All the people hired by IBs straight from undergrads were not given any relocation perks, just signing bonuses.

Of course, signing bonuses associated with higher level positions (after years of experience) are considered extras, with many other perks thrown in as part of the deal.

I have heard that Fortune 500 companies may throw in relocation costs but with a lower signing bonus.

I've negotiated relo costs before more than once. In each case I didn't end up moving, but with one firm in California, I convinced them to dish out $40,000 in relocation - cover sale of my home, temporary housing, etc. Just negotiate and negotiate well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme, I think in your case, it is what I call higher level positions.....you are in the driver's seat in the negotiation. You couldn't have gotten that in your first job out of school.
My friends who went into IB right after college weren't given relo costs.
The ones who received moving costs, are the ones who went into corporate finance, eg. GE, Ford,Northrup, Cisco.
I am referring to new MBA's ,and those in IB and IM who in most cases are given the standard package. Signing bonuses only.

Originally posted by cbreeze on 20 Apr 2007, 12:31.
Last edited by cbreeze on 20 Apr 2007, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
cbreeze wrote:
rhyme, I think in your case, it is what I call higher level positions.....you are in the driver's seat in the negotiation. You couldn't have gotten that in your first job out of school.

I am referring to new MBA's ,and those in IB and IM who in most cases are given the standard package. Signing bonuses only.

True... if you just go the standard route there isnt much wiggle room.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]