Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [9]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [3]
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Similar to a cat, a fox’s tail helps them to balance when they are [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Shrey9 wrote:
I’m going to point out “Definite errors” in the options directly as the sentence is easily understood, I feel.

A) use of “them”

B) compares cat to a fox’s tail

C) the sentence here starts off nice... but cat, which — . A cat can’t help a fox jump.. also I would prefer using “like” here than “similar to”

D) it looks like the perfect one, but wait... no parallelism in the end. In case you missed it, read carefully. Also with pouncing is but right.

E) no error. List in the end is good too
Correct answer.

Posted from my mobile device

B. It actually doesn't compare a cat to a fox's tail. It says "that of a cat."Instead, it fails to define what part of a cat is similar to a fox's tail. We still don't know what "that of a cat" is referring to.
And if you look at the second part of the sentence, it is connected very poorly. (example below)

First part: The tails of cats and foxes are similar
Second part: The tail helps the fox to balance when X, Y and Z.

D. The problem is not parallelism. Instead the meaning is the problem.
"Like a cat’s tail, a fox’s tail is similar, and helps it to balance when..."
The clause "a fox's tail is similar" technically contains the subject and the verb.

Let's attack it from a few different directions.

1. A fox's tail is similar and helps it to balance when... Similar to what? Similar to "Like a cat's tail?"
2. Like a cats tail, a fox's tail is similar. And helps it to balance... If we read the sentence this way, it is again poorly connected. What helps who to balance? The cat or the fox?
3. Like a cats tail, and helps it to balance when... If we read "a fox's tail is similar" as a nonessential modifier, which it isn't, the sentence still doesn't make any sense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
Re: Similar to a cat, a fox’s tail helps them to balance when they are [#permalink]
Can you elaborate a bit on similar to vs like here ?

Also I want to confirm, the errors I pointed out, in all options including B and D, can they be considered useful to eliminate if one doesn’t have such deep knowledge or knowing these details are essential to do well on SC ?

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Similar to a cat, a fox’s tail helps them to balance when they are [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
Also, it may seem that which noun or pronoun the pronoun “it” refers to is ambiguous, since “fox’s,” “tail,” “that,” and “cat” all precede “it” in the sentence. However, since “fox’s tail” is the clearly the subject of “helps,” and since the fox’s tail would help the fox, we can tell that “it” refers to “fox.”

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep

For that very reason of possessive noun i eliminated this option. I know this is the best among the lot since no error is found till i reach 'it' which logically refers to fox.
I understand that possessive would not have been a problem had 'its' or any other form of possessive was used in the sentence.

Logically I get the point but grammatically I can't figure out how 'E' is right.

Can you help.!! Would appreciate your inputs!!

TIA
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
lnm87 wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep

For that very reason of possessive noun i eliminated this option. I know this is the best among the lot since no error is found till i reach 'it' which logically refers to fox.
I understand that possessive would not have been a problem had 'its' or any other form of possessive was used in the sentence.

Logically I get the point but grammatically I can't figure out how 'E' is right.

Can you help.!! Would appreciate your inputs!!

TIA

There is some debate regarding whether it makes sense to use a personal pronoun when the only logical referent is a noun that appears in the possessive form, and the GMAT has come down on the side of such use being acceptable, as we can tell from the fact that personal pronouns are used in this way in the correct answers to multiple Sentence Correction questions.

Generally speaking, by the way, GMAT SC question writers tend to push the boundaries of acceptability in writing Official Answers in order to obscure the fact that the Official Answers are the Official Answers. So, if a version seems logical, but seems to break a grammar rule, you have to consider the possibility that the writer feels that that rule is not a hard and fast one and has decided to ignore it.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
There is some debate regarding whether it makes sense to use a personal pronoun when the only logical referent is a noun that appears in the possessive form, and the GMAT has come down on the side of such use being acceptable, as we can tell from the fact that personal pronouns are used in this way in the correct answers to multiple Sentence Correction questions.

Generally speaking, by the way, GMAT SC question writers tend to push the boundaries of acceptability in writing Official Answers in order to obscure the fact that the Official Answers are the Official Answers. So, if a version seems logical, but seems to break a grammar rule, you have to consider the possibility that the writer feels that that rule is not a hard and fast one and has decided to ignore it.

Thanks Marty for a prompt answer.

Found an official question where similar pronoun/possessive noun thing is tested.

Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns
(E) for any previous campaign

But here all four (A to D) use plural noun for 'army' singular noun hence it was easier to eliminate them.

I will take the underlined part and remember it. :)
Similar to a cat, a fox’s tail helps them to balance when they are running, jumping or pouncing.

A. Similar to a cat, a fox’s tail helps them to balance when they are

B. When compared with that of a cat, a fox’s tail is similar, helping the fox to balance when

C. A fox’s tail is similar to that of a cat, which helps the fox to balance when

D. Like a cat’s tail, a fox’s tail is similar, and helps it to balance when

E. A fox’s tail, similar to that of a cat, helps it to balance when

Source: TTP Beta Testing

MartyTargetTestPrep
The spoiler says that the correct answer is E, but E is not legit to me. In E, fox’s is adjective. We can't use any non-possessive pronoun (it) of this Possessive Noun ( fox’s ); we must use the Possessive Pronoun (its) of possessive noun fox’s. At least, I never see this type of use in any official SC. Help me if I miss anything here, please.
Thanks__

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 24 Sep 2019, 03:16.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 26 Sep 2019, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
The spoiler says that the correct answer is E, but E is not legit to me. In E, fox’s is adjective. We can't use any objective form (it) of this Possessive Noun ( fox’s ); we must use the Possessive Pronoun (its) of possessive noun fox’s. At least, I never see this type of use in any official SC. Help me if I miss anything here, please.
Thanks__

Hi Asad.

Actually, there are official SC questions in which, in the correct answers, the only logical referents of personal pronouns are nouns in the possessive form.

For further discussion of this topic, please see the posts preceding yours in this thread.
Bookmarks
Asad wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
The spoiler says that the correct answer is E, but E is not legit to me. In E, fox’s is adjective. We can't use any objective form (it) of this Possessive Noun ( fox’s ); we must use the Possessive Pronoun (its) of possessive noun fox’s. At least, I never see this type of use in any official SC. Help me if I miss anything here, please.
Thanks__

Hi Asad.

Actually, there are official SC questions in which, in the correct answers, the only logical referents of personal pronouns are nouns in the possessive form.

For further discussion of this topic, please see the posts preceding yours in this thread.

Quote:
Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far more supplies than they had in their previous campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.

(A) they had in their previous campaigns
(B) their previous campaigns had had
(C) they had for any previous campaign
(D) in their previous campaigns
(E) for any previous campaign

Are you talking about this one sir? Could you make connection this quote part with the highlighted part, please? Actually, I did not find any consistency this official question (Although Napoleon's....) with your BETA version (Similar to a cat...)!
Thnaks_-
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Send PM