Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q50 V28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population [#permalink]
Straight Option D in the end of the sentence particular river is used which is singular hence "Each river" makes sense
Them is incorrect as no pronoun referent
Re: Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population [#permalink]
Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked them with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

(A) them
(B) the river
(C) the rivers
(D) each river
(E) that river

RonPurewal wrote:
this problem is an excellent reminder that the GMAT does not test "pronoun ambiguity". if you see a pronoun, you should ALWAYS be able to determine, using common sense, what noun it "wants" to stand for.

(it IS possible to write english sentences with genuinely ambiguous pronouns — e.g., Jane was talking to Sharon about her children — but the GMAT has never done such a thing.)

How the green part describes the wrong answer C? In the green part the pronoun ''her'' may be used for both Jane and Sharon. So, the use of pronoun (her) for both Jane and Sharon is wrong assuming that both Jane and Sharon are female. But, C says ''Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked the rivers with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.
In this official wrong sentence, there is NO use of one single pronoun (like ''her'' in your green part), which indicates 2 different NOUNs. So, I'm still NOT sure Why did you correlate your green part with this official wrong answer (C)? Can you clarify a bit, Ron?

Also, if I say:
Jane was talking to Sharon about her children
^^ is this sentence legitimate in GMAT if someone think that Sharon is female and Jane is Male?
Also, is the following sentence is legitimate in GMAT?
RonPurewal went to SarahPurewal to discuss his assignment.
Thanks Ron_

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
alladirams wrote:
C - them is not clear. "the rivers" makes it clear

C is not correct because " the rivers" does not work with "that particular river." For C to work, the last part of the sentence would have to read "those particular rivers."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [0]
Given Kudos: 687
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Answer D.

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
hazelnut wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 240

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked them with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

(A) them
(B) the river
(C) the rivers
(D) each river
(E) that river

if we put in "them" in choice A and "the rivers" in choice C, these noun or pronoun can refer to "seven rivers" logically but these noun and pronoun make "that particular river" wrong , which is at the end of the sentence because there is no "a river" to which, "that particular river" can refer".

if we put in "the river" in choice B, "the river' must refer to a river mentioned before and can not refer to "that particular river" at the end of the sentence.

whether a pronoun can refer logically to preceding noun or following noun is center of pronoun test.so, focus on whether this pronoun can refer to preceding or following noun. a correct pronoun is besides the wrong pronoun for us to choose.

it is not obligatory that a pronoun must refer to a preceding noun. in many case, a pronoun can refer to the following noun but we should caution with this case. honestly, right now, i can not find an example in which a pronoun refer logically to a following noun. but relax, the correct choice is in one of the choice and you can realiz the logical reference of a pronoun easily.

Originally posted by thangvietnam on 21 Feb 2020, 08:42.
Last edited by thangvietnam on 25 Dec 2020, 02:41, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I picked (C)

Reasoning - the rivers means 'the' rivers being talked about earlier in the sentence.

Not clear about the idea of each river.

Would really appreciate if the experts pitch in

Quote:

Quote:
daagh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GyMrAT wrote:
Answer D.

Since 1992, in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn, state officials in Maine have stocked each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river.

Thanks,
GyM

Yes, this is the same that I observed each to each.
Kudos to you!!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM

In the non-underlined portion of the sentence, we have 'each of the seven rivers' and 'that particular river'. The only answer that would logically make sense is if we are specifying each river.

(A) them
(B) the river
(C) the rivers
(D) each river
(E) that river
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
BillyZ wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2019

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 240

(A) them
(B) the river
(C) the rivers
(D) each river
(E) that river

The non-underlined portion of the sentence said singular particular river. So, the answer must be singular "each river"

A. "Them" is ambiguous whether it's referring to officials.
B. "The river" indicates a particular river. But the sentence is about several rivers.
C. "The rivers'' is not parallel with each river.
D. THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.
E. "That river'' indicating a particular river.

The answer is D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
wouldn't 'each river' mean all the rivers?
RonPurewal wrote:
this problem is an excellent reminder that the GMAT does not test "pronoun ambiguity". if you see a pronoun, you should ALWAYS be able to determine, using common sense, what noun it "wants" to stand for.

(it IS possible to write english sentences with genuinely ambiguous pronouns — e.g., Jane was talking to Sharon about her children — but the GMAT has never done such a thing.)

thinking about "pronoun ambiguity" will just distract you from the things that actually matter in SC.
if you picked choice C here, you were distracted enough to miss "...that river" completely!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
A) The earlier part of the sentence uses the
phrase each of the seven rivers, so the
plural them is inappropriate.
B)The phrase the river is singular but can refer
only to a particular river, whereas each refers
to the individual rivers in the group of
seven.
C)The plural the rivers does not match
the singular each in the earlier part of
the sentence.
D) Correct. The phrase each river is consistent
with the earlier reference to "each of the . ))
seven rivers.
E) Although that river is singular, it can only
refer to a particular river, but no particular
river is referred to in the earlier part of the
sentence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
anurag2018 wrote:
wouldn't 'each river' mean all the rivers?

Hi anurag2018,

This is a very late reply, but in case it helps: Each river does refer to all seven rivers, but it identifies them separately. In other words, we're left with a singular noun.

RonPurewal wrote:

Here's a different take on this, just in case someone is planning to make this part of their approach:

1. Pronoun ambiguity is not an absolute error...

2. But the GMAT can and does test pronoun ambiguity. We can't always use common sense to say that a pronoun is not ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
Send PM
ahabib wrote:

(A) them - ambiguous - Referring to the officials or to the rivers?
(B) the river - We are discussing a group of rivers, not one.
(C) the rivers - This is trickier than it seems, but I believe the reason this is wrong is because it is ambiguous whether we are still discussing the same rivers, some other group of rivers, or even ALL rivers .
(D) each river - Correct and is nicely parallel with the earlier "Each of the seven rivers"
(E) that river - We are discussing a group of rivers, not one.

I'm mainly adding to the discussion because I also chose C and was not satisfied with the explanations given thus far. If an expert could chime in it would be wonderful.

GMATNinja
EMPOWERgmatRichC

For C, the use of "the" makes it clear that we are talking about the same rivers which were mentioned before. I guess between C & D, D preferred option as it is more elaborative in nature as it identifies each river separately. This becomes important as the sentence ends with "in that particular river."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Correct Option D

Since 1992,
in an attempt to build up the Atlantic salmon population in
- each of the seven rivers in which salmon still spawn,
state officials in Maine have stocked
- each river with fry raised in hatcheries from eggs produced by wild fish found in that particular river

Option A: Them - Wrong
Pronoun Them is ambiguous, to what it is refer to, either it is the State officials who has stocked, or salmon which is stocked or the eggs of wild fish.

Option B: the river - Wrong
Sentence demands singular Subject "river" but the intended meaning of sentence is to each of seven rivers where salmon still spawn, the official have taken stock at each seven rivers, not only just the one river.

Option C : the rivers - Wrong
rivers is plural, which logically refer to group of 7 river mentioned, but again the meaning error occurs, which logically need to correct by placing singular river, as the official have stocked at each individual river, not the rivers

Option D: each river - Correct
Clear information, parallelism with each of the rivers, describes as singular, and makes intended meaning clear.

Option E: that river - Wrong
Utilisation of that to introduce river can be avoided, as that is used to provide essential information of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
hello experts, AjiteshArun AndrewN MartyTargetTestPrep
when I read it for the first time, I thought "them" is referring to selmon, which is same for singular or plural. I though logically them can stand for salmon.
I think "them" is ok. its the meaning which becomes senseless.

another thing, stock
when we say officials stocked each rivers,
does it mean an increase in the numbers of rivers (obviously not in this one) or something in the rivers.
I do get the context but am not clear.

Can you please help me to understand the meaning of stocked with few examples?
It could be a silly doubt but Its a non native issue and google wasn't supportive :D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
dcoolguy wrote:
hello experts, AjiteshArun AndrewN MartyTargetTestPrep
when I read it for the first time, I thought "them" is referring to selmon, which is same for singular or plural. I though logically them can stand for salmon.
I think "them" is ok. its the meaning which becomes senseless.

another thing, stock
when we say officials stocked each rivers,
does it mean an increase in the numbers of rivers (obviously not in this one) or something in the rivers.
I do get the context but am not clear.

Can you please help me to understand the meaning of stocked with few examples?
It could be a silly doubt but Its a non native issue and google wasn't supportive :D

"Stocked" means "filled a place with things intended for future use" or "stored things."

In the context of fish and bodies of water, "stocked" means "filled the water with fish."

So, "them" in the (A) version cannot refer to "salmon," since state officials would not have stocked salmon with salmon.

but, aren't they "fry", which are from wild fish. officials have stocked salmon with fry. makes sense.
sorry I don't know much about fish. I'm vegetarian.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
"Each of the rivers..."

"Each river"

Am I the only one that thinks answer choice D is blatantly redundant?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts