Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [217]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [19]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [15]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [7]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Since chromosome damage may be caused by viral infections, medical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Since chromosome damage may be caused by viral infections, medical x-rays, and exposure to sunlight, it is important that the chromosomes of a population to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with those of a control population.

(A) to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with - Correct

(B) being tested for damage induced chemically are compared with - chemically induced damage is better, also be should be used instead of are

(C) being tested for chemically induced damage should be compared to - should be is wrong, also compared with is better

(D) being tested for chemically induced damage are to be compared to - are to be is wrong, also compared with is better

(E) that is to be tested for chemically induced damage are to be comparable with - are to be is wrong, also compared with is better
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [9]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: Since chromosome damage may be caused by viral infections, medical [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
sudarshan22 wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 6: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Since chromosome damage may be caused by viral infections, medical x-rays, and exposure to sunlight, it is important that the chromosomes of a population to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with those of a control population.

(A) to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with

(B) being tested for damage induced chemically are compared with

(C) being tested for chemically induced damage should be compared to

(D) being tested for chemically induced damage are to be compared to

(E) that is to be tested for chemically induced damage are to be comparable with

The best/excellent answers get kudos. There can be no best answer, or a few excellent answers!

Being modify population B,C,D rejected
that modify population E rejected
Left with A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
rahul6019 wrote:

(A) to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with - Correct

(B) being tested for damage induced chemically are compared with - chemically induced damage is better, also be should be used instead of are

(C) being tested for chemically induced damage should be compared to - should be is wrong, also compared with is better

(D) being tested for chemically induced damage are to be compared to - are to be is wrong, also compared with is better

(E) that is to be tested for chemically induced damage are to be comparable with - are to be is wrong, also compared with is better

Honestly GMAT never throws question based only on COMPARED WITH AND COMPARED TO. SO we cannot specifically say that COMPARED WITH IS BETTER.

generis GMATNinja Please throw some light on my understanding.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:

Honestly GMAT never throws question based only on COMPARED WITH AND COMPARED TO. SO we cannot specifically say that COMPARED WITH IS BETTER.

generis GMATNinja Please throw some light on my understanding.

In "modern" GMAT SC questions (OG 11th edition or later), I don't think there are any questions that use the difference between "compared with" and "compared to" as a deciding factor. (Maybe I'm forgetting one somewhere, but if so, it's only one question out of the hundreds and hundreds that have been released.) So I agree with you, warrior1991 -- I don't think that's the main issue here. There are more important things to worry about, but since I'm writing this before the OA has been released, I won't spoil any surprises just yet. ;)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [7]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Official Explanation :

Choice A is best because the infinitive to be tested and the subjunctive be compared are correct for describing a hypothetical course of action. Also, compared with rather than compared to is preferred when a comparison is intended, as here with chromosomes, to reveal differences among things of the same order.

Choice B lacks the infinitive and subjunctive forms, and damage induced chemically is more awkward than the comparable phrase in A.

C and D have being instead of to be and to instead of with; also should and are to do not belong in the subjunctive.

E is wordy, are to again intrudes, and comparable changes the meaning of the statement.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Send PM
Please help me understand why option A is correct...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
indbos wrote:
Please help me understand why option A is correct...

Hi indbos, only option A uses (what's called as) Subjunctive:

...it is important that the chromosomes...be compared with....

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
Can anyone explain in detail about subjunctives here please.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:

Hi arya251294,

Here are a couple of posts on the topic: 1 and 2.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
arya251294 wrote:

Hi arya251294, our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If you or someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Hey CrackVerbalGMAT, AndrewN and other members. What is the current take on since being used to provide reasons? It seems like it's allowed.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:
Hey CrackVerbalGMAT, AndrewN and other members. What is the current take on since being used to provide reasons? It seems like it's allowed.

Hi Brian123,

Since can absolutely be used to introduce a reason for something. Here's an official question that does exactly that.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Brian123 wrote:

Hi Brian123,

Since can absolutely be used to introduce a reason for something. Here's an official question that does exactly that.

Thanks AjiteshArun, I swear I read somewhere that since can only be used to express a timeline.
A link that I found - https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/since-vs-because-t3206.html

I'm assuming that was/is a misconception. Thanks again for all your help Ajitesh! :)
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:

Hello, Brian123. I agree with AjiteshArun above, and the link to the multiply tagged "OG" question is proof enough for me. Moreover, I came across another question somewhat recently that is tagged "GMAT Paper Test" that adopts the same construct, beginning in the following manner:

Since fanatics usually regard themselves as self-less patriots...

(I find the hyphenated "self-less" a little curious, but I do not have access to the source material, so I cannot verify anything.)

Finally, I would suggest looking at this GMAT Prep question that also uses since in this explanatory manner. (You might find the Most Helpful Expert Reply right underneath it to be of interest, too.)

Thank you for thinking to ask. (Stay curious.)

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
sudarshan22 wrote:

(A) to be tested for chemically induced damage be compared with

(B) being tested for damage induced chemically are compared with

(C) being tested for chemically induced damage should be compared to

(D) being tested for chemically induced damage are to be compared to

(E) that is to be tested for chemically induced damage are to be comparable with

Project SC Butler: Day 6: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Everyone has some amount of chromosome damage, which may be caused by viral infections, medical or dental x-rays, or exposure to chemicals, to sunlight, or to certain medications. It is thus extremely important that the cells of a suspect population be compared to those of a control population to see if the suspect population has, on the average, excessive chromosomal aberrations.

Attachment:
1240.full.pdf

Hi! Multiple doubts in this question.Thanks in advance. Firstly, I knew that A is the best of all but was hesitant to select it because I didn't see the need to use subjunctive form here. Subjunctives are generally used in the cases of demand, request, order etc, but in this it is just highlighting an important thing.
Secondly, here being is used as a modifier and being as a modifier is not right, 99percent time so is this a correct reason to eliminate it?
Lastly, chemically induced damage and damage induced chemically, what's the difference? AndrewN IanStewart GMATNinja
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9238 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos