Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [9]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [7]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
General Discussion
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis wo [#permalink]
Kudos
yashii9 wrote:
C. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves whether they are still the best owners of their assets
E. Although companies rethink their portfolio for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves whether they are still the best owners of their assets

its all in the head -

i guess we use although to show contrast - although the companies are doing xyz,they should ask xyz....

"as" - is more like a conjunction...

throw some light on this one please

You are writing "contrast" but you are not THINKING "contrast".

Although it was cold outside, I went out without a jacket. (Contrast)
Although people were thirsty and tired, they ran for 6 kms. (Contrast)
Although companies rethink their portfolio for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves whether they are still the best owners of their assets (Where is the contrast?)

Makes sense?
:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis wo [#permalink]
getgyan wrote:
Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves if they are still the best owner of their assets.

A. Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves if they are still the best owner of their assets
B. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they will ask themselves if they still continue to be the best owner of their assets
C. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves whether they are still the best owners of their assets
D. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, each of them should ask themselves if they are still the best owners of their assets
E. Although companies rethink their portfolio for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves whether they are still the best owners of their assets

In A, "Since" is giving the meaning of "reason".

Here the meaning which is depicted that "while they rethink" then " they should do" something.
This meaning is being correctly depicted by "AS"
There is no contrast required hence " Although" is not required.
Hence we are left with B, C and D.

In B, "they will ask" is incorrect.

In D, "If" is incorrectly used here. It should be whether. As If gives conditional sense.

Therefore, answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 202 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
yashii9 wrote:
The explanation is good.

Only that I beg to differ on the final choice. I'll stick to E.

Whats OA?

Please tell us why you disagree?

:-D

its all in the head -

i guess we use although to show contrast - although the companies are doing xyz,they should ask xyz....

"as" - is more like a conjunction...

throw some light on this one please
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
A – Use of since is incorrect as there is no cause and effect relation in the sentence. Do not use If‘ to evaluate alternatives; use ‘whether‘ instead.

B – Use of will is incorrect since the sentence is implying suggestion for which should‘ is the correct word.
Use of if‘ is incorrect.

D – Each‘ cannot ask ‗themselves‘.

E – The use of although‘ is incorrect since the sentence does not have a contrast.

So OA must be C
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
ujjwalks wrote:
IMO E,

although its a small split between "if vs weather" (but i think weather supports yes/no question) , other split was b/w since/as/although & should/would, I had my doubts about #D.

hi ujjwalks,

you are correct on the two type of splits..
1) if vs whether- it is not a hypothetical situation, so whether is correct.. only C and E are left..
2) "Although" creates a contrast.. although he is poor, he donates half his earnings..
but here the contrast is not there .. first part is just the reasoning for the second part.. so since/as is appropriate.. E is out

ans C..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V36
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves if they are still the best owner of their assets.

A. Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they should ask themselves if they are still the best owner of their assets

B. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, they will ask themselves if they still continue to be the best owner of their assets

D. As companies rethink their portfolios for the post‐crisis world, each of them should ask themselves if they are still the best owners of their assets
each is singular and takes it , as opposed to They
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the postcrisis wo [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since companies are rethinking their portfolios for the postcrisis wo [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts