It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:39

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 00:48
hsbinfy wrote:
daagh wrote:
November is yet to come and the process of prediction by analysts is continuing; therefore, there is no room for a past tense verb here; So, B, C and E are just out at the first kick. A raise in target is not a matter of command subjunctive; can analysts command the FED? Never. By dropping the word will, the clause is unduly rendered subjunctive. Therefore, D is also out. A, the winner all the way.

hi daagh,

aprreciate ur inouts on this question .Although i marked A have some doubts for C

after reading the option C for first time i think it lacked 'have' (analysts have predicted )

if have was there in C was C also correct?

No, the present perfect tense (e.g. have predicted) is used to refer to an action that happened in the past but whose effect is still present. Nonethelesss, if the action is still continuing to happen in the present then a present perfect continuous tense (have been predicting) is preferred in order to emphasise the on-going aspect of the verb.

With phrases such as "for 10 months", "since Tuesday" etc., the present perfect continous fits better.
I have deen feeling this pain since last Friday... (means I am still feeling)
He has been studying for the last 2 hours.... ( means he is still sick)
BUT
I have felt the pain. (means I felt the pain in past, but the effect of the feeling is still there)
He has studied. (means he studied in past, but the effect of studying is still there)

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2016, 05:19
jj32 wrote:
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will. The sentence is in 'present perfect' tense, and hence 'will' form of verb looks perfectly fine. 'because of' is also right. Hold it.

B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target. 'with the economy strength continuing' has meaning issues. Analysts predicted because of economy’s strength continuing?

C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would. 'predicted' and 'would' are redundant.

D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target. replace 'due to' with 'caused by', and we will not get the meaning.

E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will replace 'due to' with 'caused by', and we will not get the meaning.

A is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 69

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Schools: Booth '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2016, 08:21
There is no issue with the original sentence, so answer choice A is the correct one by default.

Offering top quality online and offline GMAT tutoring service in Vietnam, Southeast Asia, and worldwide.

$60/hour as of November 2017.

http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 13

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 08:18
jj32 wrote:
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November.

A. because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
B. with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
C. because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

becuase modifies verb, in option A becuase modifies which verb?

If we have option D as "D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will" - is it correct!

also if we replace "due to" with "caused by" doesn't it make sense.
whats wrong in saying caused by economy's continued strength; is that wrong since it modifies analysts :?:

pls advise

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 08:30
smartguy595 wrote:
jj32 wrote:

If we have option D as "D. due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will" - is it correct!

whats wrong in saying caused by economy's continued strength; is that wrong since it modifies analysts :?:

pls advise

You have to look at the clause in its entirety. the first clause has the verb "rise (raised)" and in the second clause even though "strength" is a noun that is modified by the adjectival phrase "economy's continued", the entire clause nonetheless has auxiliary verbs such as "will" & "be"and main verb such as "predict" & "rise" . This clearly indicates that we are dealing with two clauses with two set of verb phrases joined by the conjunction "and". Since we are dealing with verbs therefore you cannot use "due to" which can only modify noun or noun phrases.

If you ever have doubts regarding the usage of "due to " then simply replace it with "caused by" and then analyse whether the sentence is making sense or not. If the sentence does not make sense then "due to" usage is incorrect.
APPLY this rule here and see how absurd the sentence becomes:-
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and caused by economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November. AWKWARD AND INCORRECT.

Hope this helps. !!

Posting an answer without an explanation is "GOD COMPLEX". The world doesn't need any more gods. Please explain you answers properly.
FINAL GOODBYE :- 17th SEPTEMBER 2016. .. 16 March 2017 - I am back but for all purposes please consider me semi-retired.

Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 01 Aug 2016, 03:22, edited 3 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 36

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 10:13
Top Contributor
smartguy595 wrote:
jj32 wrote:

pls advise

Hello, smartguy595.

"becuase modifies verb, in option A becuase modifies which verb?"

IMHO the difficultness of this question lies in it reversed structure.
I think you seek the verb before the word "because".

What if we reconstruct this sentence a little bit:

"analysts have been predicting [something] because of the economy’s continued strength"

What do you think now? Which verb modifies the word "because"?

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [0], given: 178

Top Contributor
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 12:26
Top Contributor
Harley1980 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
jj32 wrote:

pls advise

Hello, smartguy595.

"becuase modifies verb, in option A becuase modifies which verb?"

IMHO the difficultness of this question lies in it reversed structure.
I think you seek the verb before the word "because".

What if we reconstruct this sentence a little bit:

"analysts have been predicting [something] because of the economy’s continued strength"

What do you think now? Which verb modifies the word "because"?

Dear Harley1980 Thanks for your helpful explanation.May I add some texts additionally to be more clear about this issue arose by smartguy595!

"Because" and "due to", by themselves, ARE NOT modifiers. (If you understand that a ""modifier"" is an additional description that explains or describes something, then you'll already know this -- it's clear that these words by themselves can't describe anything.)

"""Because xxxxx"", where xxxxx is a sentence, is a single modifier.

""Because of xxxxx"", where xxxxx is a noun (possibly with some modifiers of its own), is a single modifier.

""Due to xxxxx"", where xxxxx is a noun (possibly with some modifiers of its own), is a single modifier.

"Modifiers describe things. That's their function -- to give you extra information about something.
If you know this, then it's obvious that ""because"" and ""due to"", by themselves, are not modifiers -- they don't give any information about anything!"

We can say,
because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will be raised again in November. .......>Here the highlighted portion actually describes things. It gives information ,similar to "Because a truck flipped over" and "due to the fall"

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Kudos [?]: 3052 [0], given: 220

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 21:16

E. due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will[/quote]

Thanks Harley1980, LogicGuru1, AbdurRakib.

I understand becuase modifies verb "have been predicting" in option A.

why is it awkward to say "due to the economy’s continued strength" . pls advise

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B

Kudos [?]: 3052 [1], given: 220

Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
smartguy595 wrote:

IMO,It feels right to say"due to the economy’s continued strength",we can consider other issues for our PoE. So,we have to consider "due to the economy’s continued strength" for its relationship to the rest of the sentence

D. Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target be raised again in November. ..........>Use of subjunctive illogical and distorted the intended meaning.Use of subjunctive depends on CONTEXT.

E.Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest rate target five times, and due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will be raised again in November. .........>"due to the fact of" is unidiomatic .Here past time-frame(predicted) is used but the intended meaning is bearing present perfect continuous time-frame(have been predicting),thus shifted the meaning

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

Last edited by AbdurRakib on 30 Jul 2016, 01:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 3052 [1], given: 220

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 01:06
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
smartguy595 wrote:

Hello smartguy595

If we take the same example:
and change it on caused by:

"analysts have been predicting ... caused by of the economy’s continued strength"

Does it sound for you correct?

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Kudos [?]: 2423 [1], given: 178

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2016, 01:17
Harley1980 wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:

Hello smartguy595

If we take the same example:
and change it on caused by:

"analysts have been predicting ... caused by of the economy’s continued strength"

Does it sound for you correct?

Thanks for your inputs..Harley1980, AbdurRakib :)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2017, 23:53

As the rule goes by Because of refers to action and due to refers to noun.
Here the economy's continued strength is a noun. So shouldn't it be referred by due to and not because of.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 34

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 19:36

(A) because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
(B) with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
(C) because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
(D) due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
(E) due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 238

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 158

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2017, 12:06
jj32 wrote:

(A) because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will
(B) with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target
(C) because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would
(D) due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target
(E) due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will

(A) because of the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target will-correct answer- uses the right tense, will and have been are in the right place
(B) with the economy’s strength continuing, analysts predicted for weeks that the target-meaning of the sentence is changed with the phrase the economy's strength continuing and predicted is past tense
(C) because the economy continues strong, analysts predicted for weeks that the target would- because of is correct but economy continues strong and predicted are the wrong tense
(D) due to the economy’s continued strength, analysts have been predicting for weeks that the target- Due to is incorrect and you need will after target
(E) due to the fact of the economy’s continued strength, analysts predicted for weeks that the target will- due to the fact is redundant, predicted is in the past tense but needs to be present perfect.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 158

Re: Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2017, 12:06

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Since February, the Federal Reserve has raised its short-term interest

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap