GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 22:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:09) correct 33% (01:22) wrong based on 240 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are vulnerable to the flu.

A. verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are
B. rigorously verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients would be
C. is rigorously verifying the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients not be
D. rigorously has verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are
E. has verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients be

Originally posted by honchos on 25 Sep 2014, 23:57.
Last edited by aditya8062 on 11 Feb 2015, 02:58, edited 1 time in total.
OA ADDED
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Re: Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2014, 23:59
I have studied very little about Subjunctive, so i got strucked.

A, B and C can be easily eliminated.
Adverbs are very versatile and they can take multiple position w/o any important issues.

lest has subjunctive relationship. what i learned was this equation-But we dont have that in D and E-

Demand/Request/Recommend word +THAT + Subject+ Subjunctive Verb

What is the broader definition of Subjunctive Verb?

I am counting on mikemcgarry.
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 01:54
Hey honchos,

I too await the response of Mike as I follow him keenly.. :)

Btw here are my thoughts...IMO the answer to this question is option E.

First, I must say that you are right in saying that 'lest' takes a subjunctive. However, fortunately or unfortunately, not all cases of subjunctives obey the following construction written by you.

Demand/Request/Recommend word +THAT + Subject+ Subjunctive Verb

Subjunctives are mainly classified into 2 cases:

1. Present subjunctives
2. Past or future conditional subjunctives

In present subjunctives, there are some general cases and some very exceptional ones. Generally, a present subjunctive employs the construction you have written, BUT NOTE this construction is only used for verbs (described as bossy verbs by MGMAT SC) that express some form of communication in the form of order, instruction, request, proposals, etc. However, there are still certain exceptions as certain bossy verbs such as advise, allow, forbid, persuade, want never use ‘that’. The verb is always used in the infinitive form.

E.G. Right: I want you TO GO there.
Wrong: I want THAT he goes there.

Past or future conditional subjunctives use the hypothetical ‘If…then construction’.

Now, note ‘lest’ is not even a verb. It is a conjunction that can be used in 2 ways; either as a present subjunctive or with ‘should’. When it is used as a subjunctive, it idiomatically does not take ‘that’.

Hence, option E is correct the way it is written.

Some examples from http://www.thefreedictionary.com

I used notes lest faulty memory should lead me astray.
We worried lest the plan become known.
He fled the country lest he be captured and imprisoned.
He was alarmed lest she should find out.

More from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_subjunctive

Another use of the present subjunctive is in clauses with the conjunction lest, which generally express a potential adverse event:
• I am running faster lest she catch me (i.e. "in order that she not catch me")
• I was worried lest she catch me (i.e. "that she might catch me")

In conclusion, IMO option E can also be written as follows:

Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients SHOULD BE vulnerable to the flu.

In addition to the subjunctive issue, we have the adverb ‘rigorously’, which seems out of place in option D. Since, it is modifying the action ‘verified’, it would deem well to place the adverb closest to the verb it is modifying, which is served well by the sentence in option E.

Hence, E wins in all respects….I still await the OA though. :)

I hope I have been able to clarify your doubt…
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2014, 08:30
honchos wrote:
Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are vulnerable to the flu.

A. verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are
B. rigorously verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients would be
C. is rigorously verifying the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients not be
D. rigorously has verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are
E. has verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients be

E !!!

Reasoning as follows : Since the beginning of the year < Suggest some thing happen in past....& is continue in present >

Therefore we must use present perfect tense which is only in the case of E !!!

Simple :-D < Why to complicate things when they can be done in a simpler way >

Regards
LS

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 10:08

(A) verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are

(B) rigorously verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients would be

(C) is rigorously verifying the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients not be

(D) rigorously has verified the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients are

(E) has verified rigorously the potency of each flu vaccine sample, lest any of its patients be
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 03:02
Hello,

The answer is straight E since "lest" follows more or less like a subjunctive.. .. and means that we want to avoid something.

The correct verb is "has verified" since the process started in the beginning of the year.. and is going on still..hence present participle is correct.

Regards,
Dom.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Re: Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2019, 16:06
honchos wrote:

Please critique as I am learning!

The adverb phrase "Since the beginning of the year," offers us more information about the clinic's verification process. From this phrase, we learn that the verification started at the beginning of the year but continues now; therefore, the verb requires the present perfect tense. We can eliminate choices A&B.

D is unnecessarily awkward when it splits rigorously and verified.

Between C&E, we see that the question is testing the subjunctive mood. "Lest" indicates a hypothetical possibility, and in this sentence, we see that the clinic is "covering its bases" by rigorously verifying the potency of the vaccination samples. Why would they do this? The clinic would be concerned with the potency of the samples if the patients of the clinic are vulnerable to the flu. Therefore, E is the correct answer. C is illogical as the clinic would not be so concerned with the potency if the patients were not vulnerable to influenza.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2019, 16:06

Since the beginning of the year, the community medical clinic

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics