Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingl [#permalink]
The biggest issue I see with (A) is the following.

Here is the arguement once again:

Quote:
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports have increased by 25 percent. To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines.

Focussing on the yellow, the proposed solution just has to "Combat this problem"

The proposed solution [more allocations to commercial airlines] DOES NOT HAVE REVERSE ALL OF THE 25 % delay.

Even if the solution can alleviate "some" of the delay, the proposed solution is a success.

Now, the issue with (A) is :

(A) by itself DOES NOTHING TO SUGGEST that the proposed solution (increased allocations) WONT work (by a little bit at-least)

Hence i knoced out (A)

Originally posted by jabhatta2 on 22 Sep 2022, 13:03.
Last edited by jabhatta2 on 22 Sep 2022, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingl [#permalink]
Quote:
Analogy :

Ever since John moved into the room, the room smells. To combat this problem, we need to notify John that his pets cannot enter the home.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the effectiveness of the solution proposed above?

(A) major causes for the smell are John's cooking and John's smoking

Now, cooking and smoking maybe is the cause of the majority of the smell.
But its possible that the removing his pets WILL combat the problem of the smell BY A LITTLE BIT AT-LEAST.

Will it solve MOST OF THE SMELL problem ? No

But removing john's pet could solve SOME of the smell problem
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

Quote:
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingly busy airports have increased by 25 percent. To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines.

Focussing on the yellow, the proposed solution just has to "Combat this problem"

The proposed solution [more allocations to commercial airlines] DOES NOT HAVE REVERSE ALL OF THE 25 % delay.

Even if the solution can alleviate "some" of the delay, the proposed solution is a success.

(A) by itself DOES NOTHING TO SUGGEST that the proposed solution (increased allocations) WONT work (by a little bit at-least)

Hence i knoced out (A)

Hi jabhatta2.

Notice that the conclusion is "To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines."

If what (A) says is true, then it is not the case that, to combat the problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports MUST be allocated to commercial airlines. After all, in that case, most of the delays are caused by other things. So, even if takeoff and landing slots are NOT allocated, it is still possible to combat the problem.
VP
VP
Send PM
Since the deregulation of airlines, delays at the nation's increasingl [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

Quote:

Hence i knoced out (A)

Hi jabhatta2.

Notice that the conclusion is "To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports must be allocated to commercial airlines."

If what (A) says is true, then it is not the case that, to combat the problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports MUST be allocated to commercial airlines. After all, in that case, most of the delays are caused by other things. So, even if takeoff and landing slots are NOT allocated, it is still possible to combat the problem.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - Thank you for responding

In order to weaken the effectiveness of the proposed solution , dont you have to proove that allocating more of the takeoff and landing slots to commercial airlines. IS NOT going to be able to reduce the 25 % delay ?

I dont see how the underline is inferable just because the causes of the delay are different.

It's possible that the proposed solution will be effective EVEN THOUGH the cause the problem is something different.

below is an analogy of what i mean

===========

Quote:
Analogy :

Ever since John moved into the room, the room smells. To combat this problem, we need to notify John that his pets cannot enter the home.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the effectiveness of the solution proposed above?

(A) major causes for the smell are John's cooking and John's smoking in the room

But its possible that the removing his pets WILL combat the problem of the smell BY A LITTLE BIT AT-LEAST.

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64911 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Quote:
Analogy :

(A) major causes for the smell are John's cooking and John's smoking

The point is that your correct option should weaken the plan a LITTLE BIT AT LEAST. Not that the plan should work a little bit at least.

You have to pick the best option. Even if you believe that giving more slots may combat the problem a little bit for which you are assuming that fewer than required slots is at least part of the problem (even if other factors are majorly in play), what other option does a better job of weakening the effectiveness of the plan?
No other option weakens the possibility of the plan succeeding. Option (A) works because if the cause of the problem is something else (say even some of the current available slots are free but storms cause delays) then giving more slots is useless.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - Thank you for responding

In order to weaken the effectiveness of the proposed solution , dont you have to proove that allocating more of the takeoff and landing slots to commercial airlines. IS NOT going to be able to reduce the 25 % delay ?

I dont see how the underline is inferable just because the causes of the delay are different.

It's possible that the proposed solution will be effective EVEN THOUGH the cause the problem is something different.

You are missing what the conclusion is.

The conclusion is "To combat this problem, more of the takeoff and landing slots at the busiest airports MUST be allocated to commercial airlines."

If there are other causes of delays, and those causes are, as the passage says, "THE MAJOR CAUSES," then it is not the case that solving the problem REQUIRES allocating more of the slots to commercial airlines.

Another way to look at the question is to see that "MUST BE ALLOCATED" implies that the problem will be solved in a significant way through the allocation of the slots to commercial airlines. So, the information that (A) provides, that THE MAJOR CAUSES are other causes, serves to cast doubt on the implications of argument in addition to the stated conclusion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts