GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2016, 07:32
Hi,

Sorry for bring up this post. I am still not clear about the answer. May I explain my understanding:
There are 6 outcomes for the first draw, 6 for the seconds. So total is 36.
Still there are 5 outcomes that sum is 8: (2;6)(6;2)(3;5)(5;3)(4;4) ; in which, two of them (3;5)(5;3) have "5"
So the possibility to have "5" is (5/36)*(2/5)=1/18
Please point out my fault.

And my question is:
Since Bunuel said 5 outcomes [which is (2;6)(6;2)(3;5)(5;3)(4;4)] is all possibilities we have, why not 36?
Please clarify, thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q34 V44
GPA: 2.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2016, 11:51
Here's how i solved this problem.
We are drawing 2 cards and the sum is 8 according to the question. So we just have to find out how many cases we have when the sum on the cards is 8. We should not be bothered about the total outcomes when drawing 2 cards out of 6 cards.

So we have : 2+6, 3+5, 4+4, 5+3, 6+2

Out of these 5 scenarios we need to find that how many of these 5 cases have 5 numbered card in one of the cards, which is 2 scenarios i.e 3+5 and 5+3

Thus 2 out of 5 cases satisfy the conditions given in question. Thus answer is 2/5.

GREEN ORANGE YELLOW RED

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 04:53
Hi Bunuel
Do not we need to get the total number of card selected randomly and then get the probability of #5 card.
I mean 6 card first time and another 6 cards second time. thus we have 36 possible cards to be selected.
the final step is to divide 2 possible of #5 cards so 2 divided 36 = 1/18.
I know OA is 2/5 which is right. but I am telling what is running in my mind.
Please help to gain the concept.
Current Student
S
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2016, 05:30
hatemnag wrote:
Hi Bunuel
Do not we need to get the total number of card selected randomly and then get the probability of #5 card.
I mean 6 card first time and another 6 cards second time. thus we have 36 possible cards to be selected.
the final step is to divide 2 possible of #5 cards so 2 divided 36 = 1/18.
I know OA is 2/5 which is right. but I am telling what is running in my mind.
Please help to gain the concept.

No, you are missing the case when the sum of the 2 cards chosen = 8. This will reduce your number of cases allowed to 5 from 36. Had the question asked you numbers of cases possible with 1 number as 5 (with no restriction on the sum), then your answer should have been 2/36 or 1/18.

The added restriction of the the sum of the 2 cards drawn = 8 reduces the allowed cases to 5.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
B

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 22:09
Total ways of drawing 2 cards with replacement = 6*6 = 36
We need the sum to be 8. It is possible in the following ways:

(2, 6), (3, 5), (4, 4), (5, 3), (6, 2)
Hence a total of 5 ways.
Out of these, only in two ways do we get a 5.

Hence the required probability = 2/5

Correct Option: D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 08:36
Quote:

What combinations of two cards are possible to total 8?
(first card, second card):
(6,2) (2,6) (5,3) (3,5) (4,4) – only 5 possible scenarios for sum to be 8. One from this 5 has already happened. Notice here that the case of (6,2) is different from (2,6), and similarly the case of (5,3) is different from (3,5).

From this five cases, only in two we have 5. So, the probability is 2 chances out of 5 that the one that occurred had 5: P=2/5.

Answer: A.

Check: the-probability-that-a-visitor-at-the-mall-buys-a-pack-of-85523.html for more.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel / chetan2u,

I agree with this approach but this didn't strike in my mind while attempting question :(.
I followed this approach but didn't got the required answer. Can you please suggest what is wrong.

We have 6 cards numbering 1,2,3,4,5,6 out of this we need to select 2 card sum of which is 8 and find the probability for the occurrence of No5.
So, the only possibility we have is (3,5) or (5,3)

Selecting 3 out of 6 numbers= 1/6
Selecting 5 out of 6 numbers= 1/6

1/6 * 1/6= 1/36

Multiply by 2 as there are two conditions (3,5) and (5,3)= (1/36)*2= 1/18

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 09:36
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Quote:

What combinations of two cards are possible to total 8?
(first card, second card):
(6,2) (2,6) (5,3) (3,5) (4,4) – only 5 possible scenarios for sum to be 8. One from this 5 has already happened. Notice here that the case of (6,2) is different from (2,6), and similarly the case of (5,3) is different from (3,5).

From this five cases, only in two we have 5. So, the probability is 2 chances out of 5 that the one that occurred had 5: P=2/5.

Answer: A.

Check: the-probability-that-a-visitor-at-the-mall-buys-a-pack-of-85523.html for more.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel / chetan2u,

I agree with this approach but this didn't strike in my mind while attempting question :(.
I followed this approach but didn't got the required answer. Can you please suggest what is wrong.

We have 6 cards numbering 1,2,3,4,5,6 out of this we need to select 2 card sum of which is 8 and find the probability for the occurrence of No5.
So, the only possibility we have is (3,5) or (5,3)

Selecting 3 out of 6 numbers= 1/6
Selecting 5 out of 6 numbers= 1/6

1/6 * 1/6= 1/36

Multiply by 2 as there are two conditions (3,5) and (5,3)= (1/36)*2= 1/18

Please assist.

Hi,
your method and answer would be correct if the Q read-
what is the probability of picking two numbers such that their sum is 8 and one of the card is 5?..

But the Q tells you that the two cards have been already taken out such that their sum is 8..
Now we have to check the probability that if the sum is 8, what is the probability that one of the cards is 5..
so we work ahead of the point that sum is 8..

ways it can be 8 is 2,6 or 6,2 ; 3,5 or 5,3 ; and 4,4...
so toal ways the sum can be 8 is 5 ways and TWO of them have 5 as a card..
so Probability = 2/5

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 11:04
Hi chetan2u,

Thank you so much. Now I got the point where I was lacking.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.27
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2016, 10:26
Restated Question: Of the pairs of numbers that sum to 8, what is the probability a pair of numbers will contain a '5'.

-- Only way to guarantee a sum of 8 is to first draw either a 2,3,4,5 or 6. This is your set of total possibilities
-- Each number from the set {2,3,4,5,6} is paired with another number that together sum to 8, so we now look for how many of these pairs contain the number 5
-- We find that drawing a '3' and a '5' on the first draw each guarantee us a card numbered '5'

In summary:
2 pairs contain the number '5'
5 total pairs of numbers that sum to '8'

Answer: 2/5
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Nonprofit, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Apr 2017, 18:52
The cards add up to 8. There are five possibilities (first number is first card drawn; second number is second card drawn):

2, 6
6, 2
3, 5
5, 3
4, 4

2 out of the 5 possibilities have a 5. 2/5.

Kudos if you agree!! Got a better method?
Director
Director
B

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2017, 05:24
ggarr wrote:
Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl. First one card is drawn and then put back into the bowl; then a second card is drawn. If the cards are drawn at random and if the sum of the numbers on the cards is 8, what is the probability that one of the two cards drawn is numbered 5?

A. 2/5
B. 3/5
C. 1/18
D. 1/3
E. 1/6

1. The total number of cases is restricted by the fact that the sum of the numbers of the cards drawn be 8. So total number of cases instead of being 6*6 will be only those where the sum of the numbers is 8. The cases are (2,6), (6,2), (5,3), (3,5), (4,4)
2. The favorable outcome is in two such cases (5,3) and (3,5)
3.So the probability is 2/5

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Holistic Solutions
http://www.sravnatestprep.com

Holistic and Systematic Approach

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2017, 16:49
This problem becomes much easier if you insert yourself into the situation. Pretend you have physically dropped 6 cards into an empty bowl, and you select one card, look at it, drop that card back into the bowl and select another card. If the sum of your card selections is 8, how many different scenarios can this occur?

Pick the 2, drop it in the bowl, select the 6.
Pick the 6, drop it in the bowl, select the 2.
Pick the 3, drop it in the bowl, select the 5.
Pick the 5, drop it in the bowl, select the 3.
Pick the 4, drop it in the bowl, select the 4 again.

In the real world, how could you have two different scenarios where you pick the 4 first, drop it back in the bowl, and pick that same 4 again? You can't!

Therefore, there are 5 different choices, and 2 of those choices include the card with a 5.

Answer: 2/5.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3.49
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 11:17
I was long confused why is 2/5 and not 2/10 since there are 10 potential cards and only two 5's. So for who might be confused on the same thing as me you can also approach it by subtracting from 1 the probability of no 5th. and we have 3 scenarios with no 5's so 6 cards out of 10. 1-6/10=4/10 or 2/5
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2018, 13:38
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl. &nbs [#permalink] 22 Jul 2018, 13:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 35 posts ] 

Six cards numbered from 1 to 6 are placed in an empty bowl.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap