GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 07:48

TODAY:

MIT Sloan R1 Decisions - Join MIT Chat for Live Updates | Chat with UCLA Anderson Adcom @9am PT | Chat with Yale SOM R1 Admit 10am PT

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 05:20
VeritasPrepBrian egmat
My reasoning was on the similar line , the pattern of question being : part to whole.
But the reason i rejected D : 1. It does compare early with rest 2. It mostly restates the premise "early buyers loose interest."

My reasoning :
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it. The trade of businesses selling and renting videos is still buoyant, because the number of homes with video recorders is still growing. But clearly, once the market for video recorders is saturated, businesses distributing videos face hard times.

Meaning : Many early buyers lost interest in obtaining videos
BUT, trade of selling and renting is still great, why?? no. of homes with video recorders is still growing (HERE IS WHERE I STOPPED AS I FELT SOME CONTRAST. If early buyers lost interest but the no. is still growing , then this may be part to whole pattern)
Conclusion : once market gets saturated , businesses distributing Vs will face hard time.
(answer choices telling us that market wont get saturated will be irrelevant as author is talking about a condition and not whether condition will occur)

Thinking : first author tells us about early buyers and their current stance. Then a surprising data is presented which tells us that business is still thriving. Now in which situation will the business still grow EVEN IF the market gets saturated ?? classic part whole pattern : early is not representative of whole.
additionally, the author talks about number of VIDEOPLAYERS' market getting saturated , but what if the sale or anything that may increase the sale of VIDEOS increases??? for eg: 10 ppl all have 10 Vplayers . Now according to argument once all these 10 have Vpalyers they may not buy vidoes, resulting in a hard time for video distributors. But what if the amount of videos sold or rented increases with respect to videoplayers . ?? that is what if the ratio of videos to videoplayers increases?? The conclusion may not hold

(D) The early buyers of a novel product are always people who are quick to acquire novelties, but also often as quick to tire of them
-Now this tells m about early buyers but not about others. others may also be the same as early .

though i understand that an answer in GMAT is never too straightforward, but i would like you to tell me that what should one do in such a situation?? i mean did i try to be definitive?? and are we suppossed to assume that if an ans choice tells us about one group and not the other, we should assume that the group not mentioned is different?? because such thinking usually is wrong in RC, where we look for explicit comparison.
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
S
Re: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 08:41
Top Contributor
All great stuff, AdityaHongunti! A couple responses for you:

1) It's close, but (D) doesn't quite just "restate the premise" - note that the premise is specifically about early buyers of these video players. Choice (D) makes a point to broaden the scope to early buyers of any new/novel product:

The early buyers of a novel product are always people...

What that does is serve to say "yeah it's totally understandable that the early purchasers of this product will lose interest after six months...they do that with every product." And *that* really serves to say "you can't draw a conclusion about the whole market based on these early buyers, because they're always the first to get bored of a product."

2) One thing I really like about this problem is how it showcases how much of your job on Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption is often attacking the link between the major premise and the conclusion. In real-world arguments there are usually dozens of facts leading to a conclusion...in GMAT CR the structure is usually one piece of context (facts that tell you what you're talking about, but don't really lead to the conclusion), one or two premises that lead to the conclusion, and then the conclusion. Here it would be great if we got a direct comparison between early purchasers and "all other purchasers" but notice what we do get - the whole argument is based on the fact that these early users have started to lose interest in the product, signaling that once everyone else has gone through that same cycle there won't be many users left. The main premise here is "early users lost interest." What (D) does is call in to question the validity of the main piece of evidence for the conclusion: sure, they've lost interest, but they always do so you can't really use them to predict how others will feel about the product.

Structurally this is really important on a lot of problems: if an entire argument is based on one premise, and we can call the validity of that premise (eh...doesn't really apply here) into question, you don't have much of an argument left.

3) I love what you anticipated there, that the videos-per-player ratio could be in play here, too. That difference between "players" or "buyers" and "videos" is a great place to look for that subtle-but-significant difference. So if you're thinking that way you're doing really well on these. That's a great gap to anticipate...they just don't have an answer choice to match it. Which happens - if you don't see an answer that matches your logical gap, that's when you may want to go back and find another.

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 09:24
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
All great stuff, AdityaHongunti! A couple responses for you:

1) It's close, but (D) doesn't quite just "restate the premise" - note that the premise is specifically about early buyers of these video players. Choice (D) makes a point to broaden the scope to early buyers of any new/novel product:

The early buyers of a novel product are always people...

What that does is serve to say "yeah it's totally understandable that the early purchasers of this product will lose interest after six months...they do that with every product." And *that* really serves to say "you can't draw a conclusion about the whole market based on these early buyers, because they're always the first to get bored of a product."

2) One thing I really like about this problem is how it showcases how much of your job on Strengthen/Weaken/Assumption is often attacking the link between the major premise and the conclusion. In real-world arguments there are usually dozens of facts leading to a conclusion...in GMAT CR the structure is usually one piece of context (facts that tell you what you're talking about, but don't really lead to the conclusion), one or two premises that lead to the conclusion, and then the conclusion. Here it would be great if we got a direct comparison between early purchasers and "all other purchasers" but notice what we do get - the whole argument is based on the fact that these early users have started to lose interest in the product, signaling that once everyone else has gone through that same cycle there won't be many users left. The main premise here is "early users lost interest." What (D) does is call in to question the validity of the main piece of evidence for the conclusion: sure, they've lost interest, but they always do so you can't really use them to predict how others will feel about the product.

Structurally this is really important on a lot of problems: if an entire argument is based on one premise, and we can call the validity of that premise (eh...doesn't really apply here) into question, you don't have much of an argument left.

3) I love what you anticipated there, that the videos-per-player ratio could be in play here, too. That difference between "players" or "buyers" and "videos" is a great place to look for that subtle-but-significant difference. So if you're thinking that way you're doing really well on these. That's a great gap to anticipate...they just don't have an answer choice to match it. Which happens - if you don't see an answer that matches your logical gap, that's when you may want to go back and find another.

Thank you so much sir for your explanation. ALso thank you for evaluating my reasoning .
SO the take away :
1)When a current trend is given, and based on that trend a broader conclusion is made , then stating that the current trend that has been cited is actually a general trend / repetative trend and there's really nothing surprising or very critical to take into account and draw conclusions on.
2) An answer choice if at the least gives some info parallel to our reasoning may be right . ( given that other are absolutely wrong)

Appreciate your help sir !
Manager
Manager
B
CAT Tests
Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 22:12
VeritasPrepBrian egmat
Can you please brief how did you rejected option B ?
Veritas Prep and Orion Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2018, 09:07
Top Contributor
teaserbae wrote:
VeritasPrepBrian egmat
Can you please brief how did you rejected option B ?

Yeah, good question. I'd look at this premise:

many early buyers apparently lost interest in obtaining videos to watch on it

And just say that (B) only serves to subdivide the general category of "videos to watch on it" into a smaller chunk (many films specifically produced as video features). Note that 1) we already know that the trend is that early adopters have lost interest in obtaining "videos" in general, so any subset of that ("but romantic comedy rentals are actually increasing!") doesn't supersede the overall trend. And 2) note that (B) doesn't say in any way that that subcategory of "many films specifically produced as video features" is increasing in any way! So there's no evidence in (B) that would even really suggest that there's anything trending the other way.

Brian

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app &nbs [#permalink] 02 Dec 2018, 09:07

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Six months or so after getting a video recorder, many early buyers app

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap