Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4614 [231]
Given Kudos: 99
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [17]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Strategic Management
Schools:La Martiniere for Boys
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

(A) as varied as Correct answer - no apparent errors.

(B) as varied as are Verb "are" violates parallelism between "countries" and "China, the Netherlands, and Hungary". Eliminate.

(C) as varied as those of "those of" implies possession, and followed by country names, implies something possessed by those countries. This is inconsistent logically with "countries as varied as". Eliminate.

(D) that are as varied as "that are" implies that we are talking about countries other than those mentioned. Unnecessary meaning change. Eliminate.

(E) that are varied as are "varied as are" is idiomatically incorrect - the correct form is "as varied as". Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [8]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
Re: So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or [#permalink]
Kudos
I'll go with D

My analogy ... boys as smart as Jon, Jack and Sam - is wrong
boys who are as smart as Jon, Jack and Sam - is right.

Though the common noun is being modified the references are given to proper nouns.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
ugimba wrote:
so called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as china, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

a) as varied as
b) as varied as are
c) as varied as those of
d) that are as varied as
e) that are varied as are

please explain

hmm.. Ok So there is a tie between A and D

i am going for A

Here the subject is green taxes
so called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as china, the Netherlands, and Hungary. -- no change to the meaning of the sentence.

Now, green taxes are having positive effects on X and Y.
Y - countries such as x,y,z.

here "as varied as" used for listing the countries.

Also in D, "that" could potentially point to countries or green taxes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [5]
Given Kudos: 29
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: Information Technology(Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or non renewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands and Hungary.

A) As varied as- Correct, as varied as refers to countries correctly.
B) As varied as are- are is redundant
C) As varied as those of- as those of seems to refer to environment and natural resources and not countries.
D) That are as varied as- as is redundant
E) That are varied as are - that...are is not required.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE:Design (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
I also thought that the sentence is refering to resources rather than countries hence my answer choice was C.
Please anyone provide a proper answer for eleminating C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [5]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sudheer12 wrote:
I also thought that the sentence is refering to resources rather than countries hence my answer choice was C.
Please anyone provide a proper answer for eleminating C

Hello Sudheer12

There are two ways to eliminate C.

#1: Meaning.
In C, "those" technically refers to "resource base". Let replace "those" by "resource base" and see:

So-called green taxes are having a positive effect on the environmental and natural resource base of countries as varied as resource base of China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

Let re-read the sentence and you'll see the duplicity. Why we need "of countries"? The revised C should be:
So-called green taxes are having a positive effect on the environmental and natural resource base of China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
That's it, because you don't compare anything here.

#2: Grammars.
"those" is 100% wrong because "resource base" is SINGULAR. Technically, "those" MUST be replaced by "that".

Hope it helps.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sudheer12 wrote:

Hi Sudheer, there is no resources present in the sentence; there is only resource base. Hence, the usage of those is anyway incorrect (since those can only refer to plural nouns, while resource base is singular).
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Taking this discussion further, I picked C too.

IMO, the environmental and natural resource base of countries || "those of (names of countries).

It is the plural "environmental and natural resource base" that is compared here. Hence "those" should be correct.

My main concern is why should the countries be compared when logically the "the environmental and natural resource base of countries" are bearing the impact of the "green taxes".

I am missing something crucial.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AmoyV wrote:
Taking this discussion further, I picked C too.

IMO, the environmental and natural resource base of countries || "those of (names of countries).

It is the plural "environmental and natural resource base" that is compared here. Hence "those" should be correct..

Hello Amoy, in the phrase environment and natural resource base, the noun is resource base (singular); environment and natural is just acting as adjective. If this is not immediately clear, perhaps you would have come across phrases such as social and political climate or social and economic climate, all of which are singular for the same reason.

Quote:
My main concern is why should the countries be compared when logically the "the environmental and natural resource base of countries" are bearing the impact of the "green taxes"

There is no comparison (at least in a classical sense), since according to the sentence, China, the Netherlands, and Hungary all have same/similar characteristic: positive effect of green taxes.

So, rather than just saying: ...resource base of countries (such) as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary, the sentence is just stressing that these are varied countries: ...resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi vabhs192003, would agree with you. When I scrolled up the thread, some posters have mentioned it as environmental (rather than environment).

Hence, the confusion.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 286
Send PM