GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Jan 2019, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
G
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 05:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (02:01) correct 48% (02:27) wrong based on 249 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Sociologist: Widespread acceptance of the idea that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare is injurious to a democracy. So legislators who value democracy should not propose any law prohibiting behavior that is not harmful to anyone besides the person engaging in it. After all, the assumptions that appear to guide legislators will often become widely accepted. The sociologist’s argument requires the assumption that

(A) democratically elected legislators invariably have favorable attitudes toward the preservation of democracy

(B) people tend to believe what is believed by those who are prominent and powerful

(C) legislators often seem to be guided by the assumption that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare, even though these legislators also seem to value democracy

(D) in most cases, behavior that is harmful to the person who engages in it is harmful to no one else

(E) a legislator proposing a law prohibiting an act that can harm only the person performing the act will seem to be assuming that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare.

Source : LSAT PrepTest 52 Q25
Retired Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 11:47
aurobindomahanty wrote:
Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare is injurious to a democracy.So legislators who value democracy should not propose any law prohibiting behavior that is not harmful to anyone besides the person engaging in it.After all,the assumptions that appear to guide legislators will often become widely accepted. The sociologist’s argument requires the assumption that

(A) democratically elected legislators invariably have favorable attitudes toward the preservation of democracy
(B) people tend to believe what is believed by those who are prominent and powerful
(C) legislators often seem to be guided by the assumption that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare,even though these legislators also seem to value democracy
(D) in most cases,behavior that is harmful to the person who engages in it is harmful to no one else
(E) a legislator proposing a law prohibiting an act that can harm only the person performing the act will seem to be assuming that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare.

Premise 1: Widespread acceptance of the idea that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare is injurious to a democracy

Premise 2: After all,the assumptions that appear to guide legislators will often become widely accepted

Conclusion: So legislators who value democracy should not propose any law prohibiting behavior that is not harmful to anyone besides the person engaging in it

So, author concludes that legislators should refrain from passing certain laws that harm democracy. What could be the assumptions that will force the legislators in making such laws? It could be that people are incapable of own welfare. Sociologists assumption is based on legislators assumption.

Option E presents the assumption of the Sociologist
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 08:43
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 10:31
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello,

What is the issue with option C?

Regards

My 2 cents:

(C) legislators often seem to be guided by the assumption that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare,even though these legislators also seem to value democracy

Here, often is a problem. It does not fit well in the argument. The sentence as a whole is not an assumption of the argument.

From the stem, it is given that "After all,the assumptions that appear to guide legislators will often become widely accepted. "

For the sake of democracy, legislators should not approve such laws. E fits the bills by stating that "a legislator proposing a law prohibiting an act that can harm only the person performing the act will seem to be assuming that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare." Such a thing could affect democracy.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 10:53
warriorguy wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello,

What is the issue with option C?

Regards

My 2 cents:

Here, often is a problem. It does not fit well in the argument. The sentence as a whole is not an assumption of the argument.

From the stem, it is given that "After all,the assumptions that appear to guide legislators will often become widely accepted. "

For the sake of democracy, legislators should not approve such laws. E fits the bills by stating that "a legislator proposing a law prohibiting an act that can harm only the person performing the act will seem to be assuming that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare." Such a thing could affect democracy.

Actually i got confused by the repetitive language of the premise and then again the same sort of language in the options.
Seems i need to work on my concentration. Thanks a lot bro warriorguy

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 11:59
Thanks warriorguy! I agree that (C) does not fit.
Quote:

The conclusion of the argument is that, "legislators who value democracy should not propose any law prohibiting behavior that is not harmful to anyone besides the person engaging in it" Why not? - because such laws would imply that "individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare". If legislators are guided by that assumption, that idea (that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare) will most likely become widely accepted. According to the author, widespread acceptance of such an idea would be "injurious to a democracy."

Remember that the author's entire argument is based on a hypothetical scenario (legislators should not propose any law...). Proposing such laws could, hypothetically, be injurious to democracy because that would mean that legislators are guided by the assumption that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare. This argument does not REQUIRE that legislators already often seem to be guided by that assumption.

www.gmatninja.com

BSchool Forum Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2017, 12:05
GMATNinjaTwo wrote:
Thanks warriorguy! I agree that (C) does not fit.
Quote:

The conclusion of the argument is that, "legislators who value democracy should not propose any law prohibiting behavior that is not harmful to anyone besides the person engaging in it" Why not? - because such laws would imply that "individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare". If legislators are guided by that assumption, that idea (that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare) will most likely become widely accepted. According to the author, widespread acceptance of such an idea would be "injurious to a democracy."

Remember that the author's entire argument is based on a hypothetical scenario (legislators should not propose any law...). Proposing such laws could, hypothetically, be injurious to democracy because that would mean that legislators are guided by the assumption that individuals are incapable of looking after their own welfare. This argument does not REQUIRE that legislators already often seem to be guided by that assumption.

This is icing on the cake sir. Thanks a lot for the crystal clear explanation of the premise. :)

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
D
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 07:46
Bumping for discussion. A tremendously difficult LSAT assumption question.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Need a CR tutor? PM me!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea &nbs [#permalink] 29 Dec 2018, 07:46

Sociologist:Widespread acceptance of the idea

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap