It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

GPA: 3.92
Re: Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2016, 18:01
B makes sense. I chose E as a result of forgetting it was a "weaken" question. Good thing it's only practice.

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 109

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 134

Concentration: Operations, Leadership
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2017, 06:40
Thanks milo for the explanation. :)

Now i am clear why the option is B and not E.

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 134

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 221 [2], given: 19

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here is why E cannot be right.

From the argument:

Quote:
Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a level at which they lose money,

In other words, while holding fares at the level necessary for driving away competitors, the airline doing so loses money.

Here's what E says.

Quote:
E. When airlines dramatically reduce their fares on a particular route, the total number of air passengers on that route increases greatly.

Notice, what E say does not undermine the conclusion, because even with the increase in passengers mentioned in E, the airline offering the lower prices will continue to lose money. A money losing fare level is a money losing fare level regardless of how many passengers an airline has at that level. So, adding the information provided by E does not change the conclusion that the strategy is not profitable.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Kudos [?]: 221 [2], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 625

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2017, 09:13
Hoping that experts would help me out here with the reasoning - I was stuck between B and E and picked E.
How does B win over E?
(B) Airline executives generally believe that a company that once underpriced its fares to drive away competitors is very likely to do so again if new competitors emerge. - This means that competition won't enter the market of that particular route; cause the initial company would reduce its prices again. A contender

(E) When airlines dramatically reduce their fares on a particular route, the total number of air passengers on that route increases greatly.This means that the particular airline would make profits, another contender

So one talks about profit (E) and one talks about competition (B); and both weaken - can anyone help me on this?

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 625

Expert Post
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 19

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 19:31
Madhavi1990 wrote:
Hoping that experts would help me out here with the reasoning - I was stuck between B and E and picked E.
How does B win over E?
(B) Airline executives generally believe that a company that once underpriced its fares to drive away competitors is very likely to do so again if new competitors emerge. - This means that competition won't enter the market of that particular route; cause the initial company would reduce its prices again. A contender

(E) When airlines dramatically reduce their fares on a particular route, the total number of air passengers on that route increases greatly.This means that the particular airline would make profits, another contender

So one talks about profit (E) and one talks about competition (B); and both weaken - can anyone help me on this?

One key to getting the correct answer to a CR question is being very clear regarding what conclusion you are seeking to weaken or strengthen.

Here is the conclusion to this argument in this question.

this method of eliminating competition cannot be profitable in the long run.

Notice, in order to be profitable, the airline has to increase fares.

E does not indicate that the airline will be profitable, as E says what will happen when the fares are STILL DRAMATICALLY REDUCED. As long as the fares are dramatically reduced, the route will not be profitable no matter how many passengers take that route.

B, by indicating that it is likely that other airlines will stay out of the market even if the airline controlling the route increases prices, shows a path to profitability for the airline that took control of the route by underpricing the competition.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 19

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Schools: HBS '20, Booth '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V50
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 22:26
I would go with D. The argument is that the competitors will come back once the airline starts increasing the fares. The option D says that if an airline goes out of the particular route, it is not easy for it to come back. Hence the airlines that are thrown out of competition cannot easily come back.

Hence according to me, D is the best answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2017, 01:12
GMATcrusader_17 wrote:
I would go with D. The argument is that the competitors will come back once the airline starts increasing the fares. The option D says that if an airline goes out of the particular route, it is not easy for it to come back. Hence the airlines that are thrown out of competition cannot easily come back.

Hence according to me, D is the best answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

One way to look at it is to identify the conclusion. The conclusion is "any attempt to recoup the earlier losses by charging high fares on that route for an extended period would only provide competitors with a better opportunity to undercut the airline's fares". Remember, we want to weaken this conclusion.

Let's look at (D) On deciding to stop serving particular routes, most airlines shift resources to other routes rather than reduce the size of their operations.
This choice fails to weaken the conclusion. It does not state anything to how it could weaken that conclusion that we had above. Notice how it also changes the focus away from the conclusion.

However answer choice (B) does so. It states that "Airline executives generally believe that a company that once underpriced its fares to drive away competitors is very likely to do so again if new competitors emerge." Thus, it says that even if new competitors emerge, it will implement its previous strategy of underpricing. This weakens the argument because in the argument it essentially said otherwise. The conclusion stated that new competitors would emerge and cut the airline's fare.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2017, 01:12

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Some airlines allegedly reduce fares on certain routes to a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap