Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Parallelismx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [70]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [30]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [23]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on diffe [#permalink]
I'll go with A (I dont know what the hell I was thinking in my initial post)
A to act as a guardian sounding
Between A and C, the decision of which one to choose depends on logic, are the doctors who are monitoring have two duties (which guarding and sounding) or only one duty that is guarding(and the only duty for the guard is to sound a warning) I would think the latter, otherwise what are they janitors guarding the hospital from I dont know thieves.
B to act as guardians and to sound
C to act as guardians and sound
There is no difference between B and C, both of them have the same structure
D acting as guardians and to sound
There is no way this can be the right answer, because of the presence of the AND both Sound and act has to be parallel, and you cant parallel infinitive with a participle even if they were both NOUNS or ADJECTIVES.
E acting as guardians and sounding
If you want to parallel MONITORING with ACTING, SOUNDING and RECEIVING then the AND before SOUNDING shouldn't exist.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [6]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on diffe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
We recently created a video solution for this question. For more video solutions, log in to your e-GMAT account and go to OG Verbal Solutions course.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/32296672[/vimeo]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Bookmarks
Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound
(B) acting as sentinels and sounding
(C) to act as sentinels and sound
(D) to act as sentinels and to sound
(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

Hi guys, can somebody explain the parallel construction A, B and C, and D ? Isn't it a little bit awkward and wrong ? In which case can we have a list with two "and" ?

Thx !

Originally posted by Darmody on 20 Feb 2013, 14:00.
Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Apr 2019, 01:48, edited 2 times in total.
Formatted.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Darmody wrote:
Hi guys, can somebody explain the parallel construction A, B and C, and D ? Isn't it a little bit awkward and wrong ? In which case can we have a list with two "and" ?

Thx !

Hi Darmody,

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and to sound a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

(A) acting as sentinels and to sound

Changes the meaning by changing the list

(B) acting as sentinels and sounding

Correct, maintains parallel structure in all the lists

(C) to act as sentinels and sound

Changes the meaning; sentence now implies that they defend to act as sentinels and sound...

(D) to act as sentinels and to sound

Same as C

(E) to act as a sentinel sounding

Again changes the meaning; moreover "sentinel" should be plural as "residents" is plural.

The correct answer choice (B) presents the list with parallel structures. I have marked the lists by brackets in the correct version of the sentence.

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as (defending the entrance, acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger), and scouting outside the cave (for new food and roosting sites)).

The best way to find out the lists is by the meaning differences between them.

for example

In sports I like ((football, baseball and table tennis), and in music I like (Rock, Jazz and Classical)).

In GMAT whenever you see "and" you should check for the logical lists and make sure the structures being listed are parallel grammatically.

Hope it helps,

Vercules
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi thx for that, one last question, in "acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger) ", if I understand what you say, "sentinels" and "sounding a warning at the approach of danger" should be parallel shouldn't they ? But it does not seem to make any sense, as the sentence "acting as sounding a warning at the approach of danger" has no meaning. Did I understand it wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Darmody wrote:
Hi thx for that, one last question, in "acting as (sentinels and sounding a warning at the approach of danger) ", if I understand what you say, "sentinels" and "sounding a warning at the approach of danger" should be parallel shouldn't they ? But it does not seem to make any sense, as the sentence "acting as sounding a warning at the approach of danger" has no meaning. Did I understand it wrong?

Hi Darmody,

I can understand your concern. The correct answer choice is not a well constructed sentence and looks a little weird. But, it is the least bad among all the answer choices. The other choices are clearly wrong because almost all of them are changing the intended meaning of the sentence.

If you break the sentence; defending the entrance, acting as sentinels and defending the entrance, sounding a warning at approach of danger.

ie. by acting and sounding they are defending the entrance.

Consider an example similar in structure:

John is defending his position, acting as a lawyer and presenting a sound argument that he is not guilty.

John is defending his position in two ways

i) by acting as a lawyer
ii) by presenting a sound argument

One more similar example

By doing his job properly,acting as a role model and creating a conducive environment for the whole team, John has become the most admired manager in the company.

Tip: Concentrate more on errors in sentence correction; it is far more easier to prove that a choice is incorrect than to prove that it is correct. In your practice try to get familiar with the error patterns that sentence correction questions test.

Moreover, SC 1000 is not a very reliable source for practice. First it is quite old and contains short questions like this one, while in these days longer sentences are seen in SC in GMAT, second most of the questions are good but the bad ones could really screw up your concepts. Do it if you have exhausted all the official stuff at your disposal.

Hope it helps,

Vercules
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
egmat wrote:
We recently created a video solution for this question. For more video solutions, log in to your e-GMAT account and go to OG Verbal Solutions course.

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/32296672[/vimeo]

Hi, My doubt here is that what is the parallel list here? Option 1 or Option 2?
Option 1:
1)defending
2)acting and sounding
3)scouting

Option 2:
1)defending
2)acting
3)sounding
4)scouting

Why do we need 'and' between acting & sounding when these are parallel to other 2 items in the list?

Or in other words what's wrong with this sentence -

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels, sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

Hi, My doubt here is that what is the parallel list here? Option 1 or Option 2?
Option 1:
1)defending
2)acting and sounding
3)scouting

Option 2:
1)defending
2)acting
3)sounding
4)scouting

Why do we need 'and' between acting & sounding when these are parallel to other 2 items in the list?

Or in other words what's wrong with this sentence -

Some bat caves, like honeybee hives, have residents that take on different duties such as defending the entrance, acting as sentinels, sounding a warning at the approach of danger, and scouting outside the cave for new food and roosting sites.

Hi Deepak

None of your options is correct.

Structure is
1 defending, (acting.. and sounding),
and
2 scouting

E is clearly wrong because of parallelism issue. Rest all options have 'and' and hence we need to look for a valid construction.

'defending, acting, sounding and scouting ' - is NOT one of the options

Also, note the 'comma' before 'and scouting'. This separates 'acting and sounding' from 'defending and scouting'.

'defending, acting... and sounding... , and scouting'

"acting as sentinels and sounding..danger" is describing the act of 'defending the entrance'.

Hope this helps!
Dolly Sharma
Verbal Trainer
CrackVerbal
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos