GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 09 Aug 2019, 23:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:04) correct 44% (02:09) wrong based on 27 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in the U.S., but they are simply misinformed, as this belief is itself based primarily upon the frequency with which gun-related homicides appear in news reports on television in the U.S. It is precise because gun-related homicides are such a rare occurrence in the U.S. that they are so frequently the subject of television news.

The argument above is most vulnerable to the objection that

(A) it presupposes that most TV news reports are about gun-related homicides.
(B) it presupposes, without warrant, that the TV news reports are not biased.
(C) it presupposes the truth of the conclusion that it purports to demonstrate.
(D) it uncritically draws an inference from what is often the case to what will occur in the future.
(E) it uncritically assumes that a characteristic of one member of a group is shared by all members of that group.

Originally posted by David nguyen on 09 Aug 2019, 22:48.
Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Aug 2019, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.
Manager
Manager
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 08:25
David nguyen wrote:
Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in the U.S., but they are simply misinformed, as this belief is itself based primarily upon the frequency with which gun-related homicides appear in news reports on television in the U.S. It is precise because gun-related homicides are such a rare occurrence in the U.S. that they are so frequently the subject of television news.

The argument above is most vulnerable to the objection that

(A) it presupposes that most TV news reports are about gun-related homicides.
(B) it presupposes, without warrant, that the TV news reports are not biased.
(C) it presupposes the truth of the conclusion that it purports to demonstrate.
(D) it uncritically draws an inference from what is often the case to what will occur in the future.
(E) it uncritically assumes that a characteristic of one member of a group is shared by all members of that group.

I though i made it wrong :dazed
But it was correct, IMO answer is C :blushing

Now, the QS asks us to find some weakening of the conclusion made by the Author.

(A) it presupposes that most TV news reports are about gun-related homicides - most or all, no clear information available, author has pointed towards television reports, if it presupposes that most TV news reports are about gun-related homicides, then there is no way to conclude that if these reports are wrong or correct, out of scope.
(B) it presupposes, without warrant, that the TV news reports are not biased - "TV news reports are not biased" - i have a question raised here with myself, that what to do with the bias of the television, we are concerned that as the events are so rare, TV reports flash it more frequently - Out of scope
(C) it presupposes the truth of the conclusion that it purports to demonstrate. - Now the author have already perceived the fact that, Gun homicides in US is rare & the belief is from TV reports, & the truth the author is trying to portray is what the author demonstrated.
(D) it uncritically draws an inference from what is often the case to what will occur in the future - Who cares??? what will be in future - Out of scope
(E) it uncritically assumes that a characteristic of one member of a group is shared by all members of that group - again, not sure if this is assumed by the author, coz author has believed the entire TV community.
Re: Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2019, 08:25

Some believe that there are a large number of gun-related homicides in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics