Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Some last year admission stats from admissions411 [#permalink]
Kudos
nadtrans wrote:
And if u read riveripper's post, he does imply that a female candidate would be accepted over other "top applicants".

Please point out where you feel riverripper says an "inferior" female candidate would get accepted over another "superior" so called "top" male applicant.

nadtrans wrote:
Nope, I meant it from a holistic approach. Come on, u, I and everybody else knows that its easier for a woman / under represented minorities to get an admit than a Caucasian male / Asian American male.

And no, I actually DON'T know if it is easier for a female or underrepresented minority applicant to get accepted to business school. What I, you and everyone else DOES know from sources such as admissions411 is that it is perhaps easier to compensate for a lower GMAT or GPA if you are a female or an underrepresented minority applicant, but you agreed with me that they alone were no indication of an applicant's qualifications for an MBA. Holistically, there is no way [because we don't know what goes on in admissions] for us to find out if it is indeed easier to get admitted to a top business school simply because you are a woman or belong to an underrepresented minority.

It's entirely possible that these female or underrepresented minority candidates bring unique perspectives to the classroom that other Caucasian or Asian-American male applicants do not.
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
solaris1 wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
It is totally unfair if a more qualified candidate is rejected in favor of a less qualified candidate

And you're judging the "qualifications" of a candidate based on what - GMAT and GPA alone? Sorry, but that's incredibly shortsighted.

I agree. It seems that many people on this thread are very focused on the stats of a candidate. Every elite school identifies candidates to shape a class that will enable each student to learn from a variety of diverse perspectives. These are the types of perspectives a true industry leader must acquire. Sure if you want to go and graduate and crunch numbers for the rest of your life and never be a successful executive or CEO, I can see why you would have this view. But if you have true leadership aspirations, you would understand the value of having a diverse class.

I wouldn't apply to a school that had mostly one gender, one race, 750+ GMAT scores and 4.0 GPAs. What would you learn?

On that note, every woman I know in a top MBA program is on par if not above many of the profiles on this board. Be careful when you stereotype. Assuming that admissions committees consist of mostly women is fine - keep it to yourself, but stating it publicly is unintelligent. I hope that I don't join a class that has such immature views and tact.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
When I posted this info I thought only about giving some insights about the specifics of admissions in certain schools – and even then, very careful insights because the data is not representative. However, the discussion has obviously gone too far from its initial goal when we started to argue about ‘unfairness’ of the admission decision.

I'm afraid this way is leading nowhere. The problem is the very mechanics of the admission process makes it an easy target for blame: unfairness will always seem to be there.

Let’s say we have A, B, and C groups of people; the basis for classification does not matter for this example. They have a certain distribution among population, say, A - 40%, B - 30%, C - 30%. However, among applicants, the situation is not the same: A has 40%, B – 10%, C – 50%. In addition to it, there is a market demand, which wants to see, say, A - 60%, B - 15%, C - 25%. And also, there could be some promoted cultural values, according to which there should be A - 33%, B - 33%, C - 33%.

So, which distribution business school has to follow in its admission decisions? Most probably, it sticks to the mixture of all these distributions when creating its quotas. Some schools give more weight to market factor, some to cultural values factor, etc. – that’s why we see differences in the admission policies among schools. But the matter is that the final quota upon which bschool bases its decisions is different both from natural popular distribution and from the distribution among applicants. In reality, the situation is even more complicated because there are more groups and they could intercept – but the principle of decision, I believe, is the same.

Naturally, such an approach would seem unfair – both to those who believes that ‘equal chances’ means equal for each applicant AND to those who believes that ‘equal chances’ means equal chances for any person if he/she chooses to apply. You can imagine that from the market point of view, bschool quota may be not up to the employers desires too. But that’s how it works. Whether it is right or wrong we could discuss endlessly – as well as the nature of the reasons why market wants 60% of group A and only 25% of C.

With respect to all participants of the discussion, I suggest that we keep this thread to the discussion of the factual aspects of admissions: stating that a certain trend exists but not trying to blame/defend the reasons for its existence or the fairness of the trend itself. Perhaps it will be more constructive in that way.

Good luck with your applications! May we all win in the R1 waiting game!
And thanks for reading this long post :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
this thread started with greenoak doing some number crunching and exersing his grey cells beyond the essays and look where its got us!

i am a female and its worked to my advantage during my undergrad (got into a decent school and paid 1/3rd the tution compared to others (mostly male)).I'm not ecstatic bout it.

To me , equality of opportunity is of utmost importance which I think the b-school admission process does give. There is no cap on eligibility and everyone has an equal oportunity to put their best foot forward.

Decisions should be based on merit and merit can definately not be calculated based merely on GPA, GMAT, no. of awards, amnt of $$ you secured for your company, $$ you make, sex, ethnicity etc. Its also about the personality and thought process.

To ensure diversity schools should encourage diverse applicants which they definately are doing. Based on these endeavors the % of women, minorities are going up which is great! I remeber specifically asking the Stern adcom if they allow any kind of dilution just to keep the % of women to 40 and he was pretty emphatic in saying no.
Although Cornell is pretty gung ho rite now on increasing the % of women to arnd 50 I am sure they are not going to compromise on the calibre. The women I know at Cornell are definately not merely adding to the "diversity". They have awesome personalities and awesome experience.

I don think we'll ever have a fool proof system in place because this is can be a very subjective process (common we are asked to choose our recs and choose those who'll only say the best about us!!!!). I just hope some well deserving candidate does not lose out and some mediocre applicant does not waste away this awesome opportunity.

May the best APPLICANT(s) win.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Kudos+1.

I see that the % of Asians admitted at Fuqua is high(28%) whereas it is nill at Stanford.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
I see that the % of Asians admitted at Fuqua is high(28%) whereas it is nill at Stanford.

I think you mean Indians. Yes, it's very tough for them; I even did not imagine how tough until I saw these numbers. For other Asians (Chinese, Korean etc), situation is much better. I believe there is a small number of Indians even at Stanford, but I noticed that many Indian applicants choose not to provide full information. For example, there was technically 3 Indian admits for Wharton, but in these tables there is only 1, because two others reported zero GMAT and so were excluded from analysis. Also, a greater share of Indians do not post the final decision. But the trend is still the same :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Ahh, the days of over-analyzing the data at admissions411 - a sure mark that people are getting really anxious. Very nice job aggregating the data - definitely a lot of hard work. Even though the data is self-reported, you can start to see some interesting trends.

Has Stanford really not admitted anyone (again, self-reported) over the age of 30? Of the 49 data points, 23 dinged and 26 unknown...WOW! And look at Harvard and Stanford. Substantially different average ages reporting admits compared with both their overall application pools and with other schools, and sharply lower admit rates with each older age group. Pretty staggering actually. If you're over 30 you're just about dead to them.

Lowest average GMAT for admits seems to be at NYU by a statistically relevant margin (as much as self-reported statistics can be relevant). Guess the opportunity to head to NY and getting access to all those Wall Street jobs has lost some allure; or perhaps New Yorkers joining the b-school fray want to get away from the despair there.

Admit rates are higher for women than men at every school except for UCLA - wonder what's going on there. Also, check out the differences at MIT & Wharton, approaching 3x higher admit rates for women.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
wow thanks so much for putting this together! It's still good to see trends!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I'd be careful drawing too many conclusions from that data.

For example, only 61 reported accepts for Wharton. Considering the class is ~800 in size and the yield rate is ~70%, that's only a 5% sample and not a very random one.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
thanks for the effort +1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I'd be careful drawing too many conclusions from that data.
For example, only 61 reported accepts for Wharton. Considering the class is ~800 in size and the yield rate is ~70%, that's only a 5% sample and not a very random one.
RF

I completely agree with you, refurb, and I included the note about the data being non representative in my first post. So this info is just for general interest, but not for those seeking The Great Admission Truth :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
+1! Great job and interesting analysis!

I'm just a bit depressed to find out I'll be as good as dead within less than a year.... :shock:
Current Student
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
I completely agree with you, refurb, and I included the note about the data being non representative in my first post. So this info is just for general interest, but not for those seeking The Great Admission Truth :)

Good job collating all that data.

Obviously the data does support some of the stereotypes of various schools (Havard like 'em young).

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
I've always been wary of the data on admissions411. For one thing the data points are so few that its really hard to draw conclusions about acceptance rates, etc.

Also, the data is a little acceptance-heavy, and its also indian-applicant-heavy. As someone of Indian decent, I know people who went to almost all of these B-schools, but admissions411 would have you believe that its nearly impossible for me to get in. I understand that many of the Indian applicants are IT/Software people so they're fighting over a handful of spots, but I also think that the data on this website is going to be focused around people who find it necessary to forecast their chances to get in, so it lends itself to the Indian IT crowd being over-represented on admissions411.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
so from what i see, if you are a female, below the age of 25 and have an avg gmat score, you are more likely to get into an Ultra-Elite than a White Caucasian male over the age of 29 with a very high gmat score...and no wonder our economy is totally F--ed up..cause all these 25 years old who have no clue on how to run companies..get to hbs and become my boss..

not to be sexiest, just find it weird that we have compromised too much on merit for gender equality...maybe it has to do with that most of the adcom are women???
Current Student
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
not to be sexiest, just find it weird that we have compromised too much on merit for gender equality...maybe it has to do with that most of the adcom are women???

This is gonna be interesting!! :)

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
refurb wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

This is gonna be interesting!! :)

RF

you know what i am tired of being politically correct..what happened to saying it as it is..
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3