Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [30]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Business Administration
Schools:University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618891 [14]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [6]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Business Administration
Schools:University of Toronto, Mcgill, Queens
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Re: Overlapping Sets Problem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bullet wrote:
as Town X 4 times greater.
4(3A+3B+3C) = A+B+C+D
after simplifying D = 11(A+B+C)

12(A+B+C) = A+B+C+D
look at both sides now. you have 12 times A rather than 3 times A.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

I calculated OA and it looks like D but i'm not 100% sure

Yes, correct answer is indeed D.

Given:
{X}={Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither};

{Y} = 3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both};

Since the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, then:
{Left} + {Tall} - {Both} + {Neither}=4*(3*{Left} + 3*{Tall} - 3*{Both});

{Neither}=11*({Left} + {Tall} - {Both}), which means that # of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall must be a multiple of 11.

Only answer choice D, is a multiple of 11: 143=11*13.

Answer: D.

I think the highlighted portion actually means: If X is the total population of Town X and Y is the total population of town Y then
X = 4Y + Y = 5Y
The Question stem states 4 times greater than Y not 4 times as much as Y.

Kindly Let me know if at all i am wrong.

This discussion has taken place many times before. Check out this link to understand why it will be the way Bunuel has done it: https://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52334.html
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JonShukhrat wrote:
Bullet wrote:
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall, some are both, and some are neither. In Town Y, three times as many people are left-handed > as are left-handed in Town X, three times as many people are tall as are tall in Town X, three times as many people are both as are both in Town X, but no one is neither. If the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, which of the following could be the number of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall?

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

Could you, please, shed some light on the interpretation of the above highlighted part of the stem?

Does it mean 4x or 5x on GMAT?

Many thanks in advance.

Ideally, it would mean 5x, but I'm not sure that every writer would agree with that interpretation.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure that such an unclear way of expressing such a relationship would not be used in an official GMAT quant question, though wording like that has appeared in the correct answer to an official Sentence Correction question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618891 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sam12rawat wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Given:

Since the total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y, then:

{Neither}=11*({Left} + {Tall} - {Both}), which means that # of people in Town X who are neither left-handed nor tall must be a multiple of 11.

Hi Bunuel , Could you please elaborate on why it would be 4 times the population of X and not 5 times?

I think the following posts should clear your doubt:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/tires-r-us-h ... l#p2357023
https://gmatclub.com/forum/every-attend ... l#p2286932
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
I am not fine with the language with this question.. does four times greater right usage.. or should it be four times..does the same meaning is construed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Bunnel,

I have a quick question. The question says "total number of people in Town X is four times greater than the total number of people in Town Y". Wouldn't this translate to X=5Y instead of X=4Y. Sorry if I am missing something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Given:

I think the highlighted portion actually means: If X is the total population of Town X and Y is the total population of town Y then
X = 4Y + Y = 5Y
The Question stem states 4 times greater than Y not 4 times as much as Y.

Kindly Let me know if at all i am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
w+x+y+z=12w+12x+12y

z=11w+11x+11y

z=11(w+x+z)

it should be multiple of 11

D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Some of the people in Town X are left-handed, some are tall [#permalink]
Bullet wrote:

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

Could you, please, shed some light on the interpretation of the above highlighted part of the stem?

Many thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [1]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
JonShukhrat wrote:
Bullet wrote:

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

Many thanks in advance.

Ideally, it would mean 5x, but I'm not sure that every writer would agree with that interpretation.

Fortunately, I am pretty sure that such an unclear way of expressing such a relationship would not be used in an official GMAT quant question, though wording like that has appeared in the correct answer to an official Sentence Correction question.

Once again many thanks Marty!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 340
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28 (Online)
GMAT 2: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Bullet wrote:

(A) 23
(B) 39
(C) 72
(D) 143
(E) 199

Given:

Hi Bunuel , Could you please elaborate on why it would be 4 times the population of X and not 5 times?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts