GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2014
Posts: 214
Location: India
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.54
CAT Tests
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 01:56
@ GMATNinja,@broall
By going through POE, we can reach OA as A. But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism.
Example- I have more money than Sam(has). Here has is understood. The sentence is correct.
I have more money than Sam's.---> This is incorrect. We cant compare I with Sam's money.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Location: Bangalore, India
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2018, 04:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
sunny91 wrote:
But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism.
Example- I have more money than Sam(has). Here has is understood. The sentence is correct.
I have more money than Sam's.---> This is incorrect. We cant compare I with Sam's money.

Hi sunny91, let's take the following example:

I have a better car than Sam.

As you've suggested, this is a correct sentence and is equivalent to:

I have a better car than Sam (has).

However, if we have a sentence:

I have a car better than Sam.

Now this is an invalid sentence, because this is now comparing car with Sam. We fix this sentence as:

I have a car better than Sam's.

This is a correct sentence, since the way we need to read this is:

I have a car (that is) better than Sam's (car is).

If you notice the (hidden) clause in the above sentence, the clause is: that is better, where that is referring to car.

This hidden modifier now changes everything! Basically "I" does not even figure in the comparison! It is just the car that is being compared.

Now, let's analyze the following:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

This is a correct sentence, since the way we need to read this is:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism (that is) more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s (metabolism is).

Again, notice that it is just the metabolism that is being compared.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this modifier aspect of comparisons, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 12:54
Hi experts,

Would replacing dinosaur by dinosaurs in the correct answer make any difference?
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
V
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1963
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2018, 08:06
EducationAisle wrote:
sunny91 wrote:
But option A looks like a faulty comparison. We are comparing species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism. Correct comparison should be with the metabolism of species of dinosaur with warm-blooded mammal’s metabolism.
Example- I have more money than Sam(has). Here has is understood. The sentence is correct.
I have more money than Sam's.---> This is incorrect. We cant compare I with Sam's money.

Hi sunny91, let's take the following example:

I have a better car than Sam.

As you've suggested, this is a correct sentence and is equivalent to:

I have a better car than Sam (has).

However, if we have a sentence:

I have a car better than Sam.

Now this is an invalid sentence, because this is now comparing car with Sam. We fix this sentence as:

I have a car better than Sam's.

This is a correct sentence, since the way we need to read this is:

I have a car (that is) better than Sam's (car is).

If you notice the (hidden) clause in the above sentence, the clause is: that is better, where that is referring to car.

This hidden modifier now changes everything! Basically "I" does not even figure in the comparison! It is just the car that is being compared.

Now, let's analyze the following:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.

This is a correct sentence, since the way we need to read this is:

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism (that is) more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s (metabolism is).

Again, notice that it is just the metabolism that is being compared.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses this modifier aspect of comparisons, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.


EducationAisle wrote:
I have a better car than Sam.

As you've suggested, this is a correct sentence and is equivalent to:

I have a better car than Sam (has).


ellipsis in comparison- Shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?
In the above sentence, the verb has is not present in the first part of the sentence.


AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , egmat , sayantanc2k , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , RonPurewal , mikemcgarry , EducationAisle - please enlighten
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Director
Director
User avatar
G
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 876
Location: Bangalore, India
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:15
Skywalker18 wrote:
ellipsis in comparison- Shouldn't the omitted words be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form?

Hi Skywalker18, it would be slightly simplistic to believe that in ellipsis, omitted words should always be present in the first part of the sentence in the same form.

In fact, in certain conditions (especially with the to be forms of the verb), even a tense change is allowed.

Following is a correct sentence from OG:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than last.

This is equivalent to:

Heating-oil prices are expected to be higher this year than (Heating-oil prices were) last (year) .

Note that the tense changes after than (simple past).

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses these concepts of comparisons, their application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id; I can mail the corresponding section.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 08:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.