Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [228]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [29]
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31887 [15]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
damit wrote:
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

(A) that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
(B) that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
(C) that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
(D) there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
(E) there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

My major question here is can we or can we not eliminate that. Does anyone have a rule for when "that" can be eliminated?

thanks

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning is that many species of dinosaurs had a metabolism that was more like the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Comparison + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• “contend + that” and "contend + with" are the correct, idiomatic construction.
• Comparison must always be made between similar things.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "many species of dinosaur" with the verb "had", which can refer to both plural and singular nouns. Further, Option A correctly compares "a metabolism" with "a warm-blooded mammal's (metabolism)" and "a cold-blooded reptile's (metabolism)", conveying the intended meaning - that many species of dinosaurs had a metabolism that was more like the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile. Additionally, Option A correctly uses the idiomatic construction "contend + that". Besides, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "metabolism" with the plural verb "were". Further, Option B uses the passive construction "the metabolism of many dinosaur species were", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly compares "the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs" to "those of a warm-blooded mammal's (metabolism)" and "a cold-blooded reptile's (metabolism)"; the use of "those" alongside the possessive nouns "mammal's" and "reptile's" illogically suggests that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like the metabolism of the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; the intended meaning is that many species of dinosaurs had a metabolism that was more like the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Additionally, Option C uses the passive construction "the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly compares "metabolisms" to "those of a warm-blooded mammal's (metabolism)" and "a cold-blooded reptile's (metabolism)"; the use of "those" alongside the possessive nouns "mammal's" and "reptile's" illogically suggests that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like the metabolism of the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; the intended meaning is that many species of dinosaurs had a metabolism that was more like the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option D uses the unidiomatic construction "contend + clause"; please remember, “contend + that” and "contend + with" are the correct, idiomatic construction. Additionally, Option D uses the passive construction "there were many species of dinosaurs", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares "a metabolism" to "that of a warm-blooded mammal's (metabolism)" and "a cold-blooded reptile's (metabolism)"; the use of "that" alongside the possessive nouns "mammal's" and "reptile's" illogically suggests that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like the metabolism of the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; the intended meaning is that many species of dinosaurs had a metabolism that was more like the metabolism of a warm-blooded mammal than the metabolism of a cold-blooded reptile; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar things. Further, Option E uses the unidiomatic construction "contend + clause"; please remember, “contend + that” and "contend + with" are the correct, idiomatic construction. Additionally, Option E uses the passive construction "there were many dinosaur species", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [7]
Send PM
Re: Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
All choices except A are wrong.

You need THAT after content to explain what the scinetists contend.

Possessive + those or that makes it redundant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Whoa!! Am I the only one choosing B here. Please correct me, I thought, "many species of dinosaurs" was correct instead of many species of dinosaur. I thought B corrects this by using many dinosaur species. I agree that A is the shortest of all the choices, but is A the most appropriate??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Whoa!! Am I the only one choosing B here. Please correct me, I thought, "many species of dinosaurs" was correct instead of many species of dinosaur. I thought B corrects this by using many dinosaur species. I agree that A is the shortest of all the choices, but is A the most appropriate??

Darth b is wrong because the subject and verb do not agree.

In the B, the subject is "the metabolism", which is singular and need a singular verb.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal’s than a cold-blooded reptile’s.
A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like
C. that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of
D. there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of
E. there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of

B is wrong because there is no subject-verb agreement
C,D and E are all wronh because the comparaison is made between metabolism and the metabolism of a metabolism.
A should be.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Sentence has 1.Idiomatic usage and 2. Dependent clause iisue

A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like [Hold it]
B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like [Dependent clause has subject “the metabolism” to verb issue “were” – eliminate it]
C. that the metabolisms of many species of dinosaurs were more like those of [the metabolisms is not correct usage – I doubt “the metabolism” can be plural – eliminate it]
D. there were many species of dinosaurs that had metabolisms more like those of[unidiomatic – eliminate it]
E. there were many dinosaur species that had a metabolism more like that of[unidiomatic – eliminate it]

Answer: A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

Some scientists contend that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like a warm-blooded mammal's than a cold-blooded reptile's.

A. that many species of dinosaur had a metabolism more like
B. that the metabolism of many dinosaur species were more like

OA- A

In option B S-V disagreement is the only error or there is some other reason also to eliminate it..?

please assist.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I was hoping someone could explain why we should eliminate answer choices with the word "were." (i.e. the dependent clause issue (??))
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
wmichaelxie wrote:
I was hoping someone could explain why we should eliminate answer choices with the word "were." (i.e. the dependent clause issue (??))

Only option B is wrong because of the use of "were" (subject and verb do not agree in numbers) - "were" is not the problem in the other options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos