Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [14]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Sometimes Quant can't get you there [750 Q43, V51] [#permalink]
ebonn101 wrote:
Haha, nah brother - it's not worth it at this point. Although I think I might be able to get to 46-47 in Quant, it's hard to reconcile that with my perfect verbal score. As good as I am with verbal, I don't know if a repeat 51 performance is likely. I'd like to tuck away a solid 780 just to say I did, but I think at this point my time is better spent on researching schools and on essays.

yea definitely agree with you. Congratulations on your score!! a 51 on verbal is incredible. I will eagerly await your debrief you handsome man you :p
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow - congratulations!
Fantastic Verbal Score! What do you attribute it to?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
Wow - congratulations!
Fantastic Verbal Score! What do you attribute it to?

I'll elaborate on this more later, but for now let me just emphasize how realistic GMAT PREP verbal is. MGMAT is probably second best, and Princeton Review is just OK. My verbal scores on my last two GMAT Prep tests were 48 (1 incorrect) and 41 (8 incorrect). The closest thing you'll find to real GMAT verbal is OG and GMAT Prep - hence the necessity to use these sources above all others.

I knew I hadn't had the greatest day in Quant - it started off badly as I'm 99% sure I got the first question wrong - but just chugged through it. After quant I knew I would have to step up and make up for it in verbal. Once I got to verbal it was like a veil was lifted or something. There was literally not a single question out of 41 where I had any doubt at all what the answer was. I didn't blaze through the section - pretty sure I had about 5 minutes to spare at the end, but I was never in one of those "well this could go one way or the other" situations. I don't know exactly how the scoring breakdowns work - but I am pretty convinced I hit a solid 41/41 in verbal.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [25]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
OK guys, after thinking about it, here is what I can offer up to you. Obviously it worked out pretty well for me, and I think if you give yourself a few weeks/month or two of practice, even nonnative speakers can get here.

Here is my general strategy:

Bottom Line Up Front: Everything hinges on your ability to conquer any SC question (except those that are truly brutal) in around 60 seconds max.

1. Attack SC questions quickly and efficiently, aim for no more than 60 seconds per question. Obviously you will have 2-3 per test that are real tricky and require 60-120 seconds to analyze, break down, and compare answer choices. Think about it - you will get 4 RC passages per test, each with 4 questions. Therefore you're left with 25 CR/SC questions. Assuming you get about 10 CR and 15 SC, you can make up close to 30 seconds per SC question. Assuming you have the 2-3 that require a full 90 or even 120 seconds, you will still be ahead of schedule by about 6 minutes. This is key. It all starts here.

2. Now that you are working with a full extra 5-6-7 minutes of head-scratching, nail-biting POE time, you can really dig into those tough CR and RC passages. Everyone swears by the MGMAT SC guide, but most fail to tout the MGMAT CR and RC guides! These are GOLDEN. You have GOT to use MGMAT CR and RC if you want to score high 90 percentiles on Verbal. A lot of people claim that the "Diagramming" and "Highlighting" Techniques for CR and RC are time consuming and not feasible on the real GMAT due to time constraints. Let me tell you right now: I diagrammed every single CR question and highlighted all four RC passages when I took the GMAT. How was I able to do this? Yes, I worked efficiently and quickly, but I also had those extra 5 or so minutes I had made up by knocking out SC questions in a timely manner. See how it is all related?

3. Early in my prep, I noticed trends in my verbal test-taking. I never had significant problems with SC, but often got tough CR or RC questions incorrect. I couldn't figure out why until I attempted diagramming and highlighting. As it turns out, I was taking TOO MUCH TIME ON SC, leaving me insufficient time to process the barrage of information thrown at you in an RC passage, or leaving me too rushed as I analyzed CR, which often led to careless errors. REMEMBER: for BOTH CR and RC, the key to ascertaining the correct answer is COMPREHENSION of the passage. The best way to do this is make "highlight" or "diagram" notes as you are reading! This way you are literally reading and writing it simultaneously, which maximizes your brain's ability to truly process the meaning behind the words. Yes, this is difficult to do with an average of 2 mins per question, but if you are ahead of pace with good SC skill, you will have more along the lines of 2:15-2:20 average for RC and CR. These extra seconds are CRUCIAL because they allow you the opportunity to really think about the information, and then seriously consider how it relates to what the question is really asking.

Bottom line - first establish your skill with SC. This will gently ease you into verbal in general. Become more familiar with subject-verb agreement, parallelism, and modifiers. These are the things the GMAT will beat you with the most. Once you are at the 700+ level, you will see questions with all three of these issues at fault within the prompt. Read the sentence over once, and cross off the first option as soon as you know it's wrong (or leave it if a possible correct answer). Then read through the other four choices and place them back in the original sentence, looking for those key elements of SV agreement, parallelism, and modifier placement. Obviously this is overly broad, but if you have read the MGMAT SC guide, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps you out, guys. Sorry if I was rambling a little bit. I'm willing to answer any other questions you might have. Thanks and take care!
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Wow, congratulations!

Thank you for these posts!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Solid score, 51V is unreal!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Ridunculous!!!! I thought I was cool for hitting a V45 on my last MGMAT test. The funny thing is, I got 11 wrong! Congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Consulting
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
Haha, nah brother - it's not worth it at this point. Although I think I might be able to get to 46-47 in Quant, it's hard to reconcile that with my perfect verbal score. As good as I am with verbal, I don't know if a repeat 51 performance is likely. I'd like to tuck away a solid 780 just to say I did, but I think at this point my time is better spent on researching schools and on essays.

Actually, I think you should. Would like to see mattapraveen put his savings on the line :-D

Congrats, btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
ebonn101 wrote:
OK guys, after thinking about it, here is what I can offer up to you. Obviously it worked out pretty well for me, and I think if you give yourself a few weeks/month or two of practice, even nonnative speakers can get here.

Here is my general strategy:

Bottom Line Up Front: Everything hinges on your ability to conquer any SC question (except those that are truly brutal) in around 60 seconds max.

1. Attack SC questions quickly and efficiently, aim for no more than 60 seconds per question. Obviously you will have 2-3 per test that are real tricky and require 60-120 seconds to analyze, break down, and compare answer choices. Think about it - you will get 4 RC passages per test, each with 4 questions. Therefore you're left with 25 CR/SC questions. Assuming you get about 10 CR and 15 SC, you can make up close to 30 seconds per SC question. Assuming you have the 2-3 that require a full 90 or even 120 seconds, you will still be ahead of schedule by about 6 minutes. This is key. It all starts here.

2. Now that you are working with a full extra 5-6-7 minutes of head-scratching, nail-biting POE time, you can really dig into those tough CR and RC passages. Everyone swears by the MGMAT SC guide, but most fail to tout the MGMAT CR and RC guides! These are GOLDEN. You have GOT to use MGMAT CR and RC if you want to score high 90 percentiles on Verbal. A lot of people claim that the "Diagramming" and "Highlighting" Techniques for CR and RC are time consuming and not feasible on the real GMAT due to time constraints. Let me tell you right now: I diagrammed every single CR question and highlighted all four RC passages when I took the GMAT. How was I able to do this? Yes, I worked efficiently and quickly, but I also had those extra 5 or so minutes I had made up by knocking out SC questions in a timely manner. See how it is all related?

3. Early in my prep, I noticed trends in my verbal test-taking. I never had significant problems with SC, but often got tough CR or RC questions incorrect. I couldn't figure out why until I attempted diagramming and highlighting. As it turns out, I was taking TOO MUCH TIME ON SC, leaving me insufficient time to process the barrage of information thrown at you in an RC passage, or leaving me too rushed as I analyzed CR, which often led to careless errors. REMEMBER: for BOTH CR and RC, the key to ascertaining the correct answer is COMPREHENSION of the passage. The best way to do this is make "highlight" or "diagram" notes as you are reading! This way you are literally reading and writing it simultaneously, which maximizes your brain's ability to truly process the meaning behind the words. Yes, this is difficult to do with an average of 2 mins per question, but if you are ahead of pace with good SC skill, you will have more along the lines of 2:15-2:20 average for RC and CR. These extra seconds are CRUCIAL because they allow you the opportunity to really think about the information, and then seriously consider how it relates to what the question is really asking.

Bottom line - first establish your skill with SC. This will gently ease you into verbal in general. Become more familiar with subject-verb agreement, parallelism, and modifiers. These are the things the GMAT will beat you with the most. Once you are at the 700+ level, you will see questions with all three of these issues at fault within the prompt. Read the sentence over once, and cross off the first option as soon as you know it's wrong (or leave it if a possible correct answer). Then read through the other four choices and place them back in the original sentence, looking for those key elements of SV agreement, parallelism, and modifier placement. Obviously this is overly broad, but if you have read the MGMAT SC guide, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps you out, guys. Sorry if I was rambling a little bit. I'm willing to answer any other questions you might have. Thanks and take care!

Awesome verbal score , Do you suggest to refer the Powerscore CR Bible for CR?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Schools:LBS, Oxford
 Q50  V42
Send PM
wish...you can lend your verbal skills for a day...

congrats on great score
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
V51!! - That is something commendable!!!

And I completely agree with what you said about diagramming, etc. Since I started using arrow diagrams,etc - My CR Accuracy went from shaky 50-80% to a consistent 90%.

One advice needed - I have about 23 days left for the test - Last 15 days I plan to emerge in the GMATPrep Documents and destroy every single question - Will you recommend any material other than Official Guides which is worth using? I have tried a plethora of material for verbal already - most of it is a WASTE!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Thanks for sharing, ebonn101! +1 Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77