It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: Master GMAT Because of the destruction of cathedral

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 159 [2], given: 5

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Source: Master GMAT Because of the destruction of cathedral [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:49) correct 46% (00:58) wrong based on 486 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Master GMAT

Because of the destruction of cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find their way to France.

A. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find
B. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
C. treasuries belonging to cathedrals during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
D. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces are finding
E. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces found
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Kudos [?]: 159 [2], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 468 [1], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: Because of the destruction of cathedral treasuries during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 01:22
This post received
KUDOS
premnath wrote:

Because of the destruction of cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find their way to France.

A. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find
B. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
C. treasuries belonging to cathedrals during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found
D. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces are finding
E. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces found

I will say this question as a debatable one. I picked option E. There is a minor difference between B & E

When there is a time marker (before/after etc) then the usage of perfect tense becomes optional. So I think grammatically option B and E are both correct. Here also i will prefer E coz it is shorter than B.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kudos [?]: 468 [1], given: 50

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Re: Because of the destruction of cathedral treasuries during [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 13:27
I think between B and E,E must be the answer. The right meaning is conveyed only in option E.The art became scarce only after most of the treasuries were destroyed and then most of the art works were moved to France in order to compensate for the loss.Hence the transfer of art took place only after the destruction .Hence the use of past perfect leads to an error in option B.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [2], given: 559

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Source: Master GMAT Because of the destruction of cathedral [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
premnath wrote:

IMO B
in this question two actions are there..i .e after destruction firstly the majority of pieces found their went to france and later works of aanglo-saxon art became scarce..whenever two actions are taking place at different times... the action that occurs first is in past perfect tense and the action that occurs after it is in past tense... this is true only for B where first action i.e " the majority of the pieces had found" is in past perfect tense and the action that occurs later is in past tense i.e "works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce"

Preparing for another shot...

Kudos [?]: 42 [2], given: 559

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 08:52
I agree with SOURH7WK. Why use the perfect tense when there is already a timer marker

What is the OE

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 559

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 09:53
gwu wrote:
I agree with SOURH7WK. Why use the perfect tense when there is already a timer marker

What is the OE

If the events occur at a specified time then past perfect is optional..but incase no specific time is mentioned then use of past perfect is mandatory.

Preparing for another shot...

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 559

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 118

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2013, 20:26
I don't agree with the answer B. Because we know that we use past perfect when one has to clear about the time. But here in this case clarification is not necessary. E should be the correct answer.

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 118

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 291

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 22:50
The use of 'had' is justified. The work of arts became scarce 'after' the majority of the pieces found their way. I was confused between B and C.

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 291

Intern
Intern

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2013, 09:50
why should we use the past perfect when we already have the logic conveyed in the sentence

E.g X's became scarce AFTER Y's found their way into France.

X happened "after" Y . Logic in sequence already conveyed by AFTER

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 56

GMAT Date: 03-20-2014
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 07:25
Request the experts to provide their input.

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 56

8 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 488 [8], given: 142

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2014, 12:08
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I also choose E. But seems B is correct.

If the Past Perfect action did occur at a specific time, the Simple Past can be used instead of the Past Perfect when "before" or "after" is used in the sentence. The words "before" and "after" actually tell you what happens first, so the Past Perfect is optional. For this reason, both sentences below are correct.

Examples:

She had visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.
She visited her Japanese relatives once in 1993 before she moved in with them in 1996.

If the Past Perfect is not referring to an action at a specific time, Past Perfect is not optional. Compare the examples below. Here Past Perfect is referring to a lack of experience rather than an action at a specific time. For this reason, Simple Past cannot be used.

Examples:

She never saw a bear before she moved to Alaska. Not Correct
She had never seen a bear before she moved to Alaska. Correct

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pastperfect.html

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 488 [8], given: 142

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 933 [2], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2014, 23:32
This post received
KUDOS
premnath wrote:

Let us understand the sentence,

Because of X blah blah blah, Y happened after Z

A. cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find (Incorrect verb tense)
(When two events are stated in past the older event uses past perfect tense of the form HAD+Verbed, but when you mention the word after there is no way past perfect is required. However, at times GMAT prefers Past perfect in these circumstances.
Clearly matter of concision
Wrong tense
This seems to be correct since when you mention the word 'after' then past tense will do.

On the other hand , I will go with (E) as far as concision is concerned since clearly when past tense would do there is no need to use past perfect which makes the sentence wordy.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 933 [2], given: 322

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18141 [7], given: 236

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2014, 20:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
premnath wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Usually, when the sequence is specified with 'before', 'after' etc, past perfect is not required so just 'found' is acceptable. Also, use of 'had found' along with a sequence specifier is not incorrect.
One event happened before - most pieces found their way to France
The other happened later - works of Art became scarce
So 'had found' is correct but so in 'after ... found'

The difference between (B) and (E) is a matter of preference and too subtle to be tested without another error in one of the choices.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18141 [7], given: 236

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 07:23
Both B and E convey the same meaning.

Both are correct.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 403

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 04:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 424

Concentration: Finance, Technology

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2016, 15:05
this type of question is really just to screw with you. From my experience, including the past perfect tends to be the correct answer with these type of time marker tense questions. Unsure if this is the case with the real test (most likely not tested)

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 424

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 30

Destruction of cathedral treasuries [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 03:05
Why can't the answer be {E} ?

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found

treasuries belonging to cathedrals during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces are finding

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces found

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 30

Senior CR Moderator
V

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 03:34
avinsethi wrote:
Why can't the answer be {E} ?

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces find

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found

treasuries belonging to cathedrals during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces had found

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces are finding

cathedral treasuries during the French revolution, works of Anglo-Saxon art became scarce after the majority of the pieces found

This question seems to be poor quality. You don't need to waste time on it.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1114 [0], given: 62

Re: Source: Master GMAT Because of the destruction of cathedral   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2017, 03:34

Source: Master GMAT Because of the destruction of cathedral

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap