Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 24 May 2017, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: Master GMAT The word inspired is used often by

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 136 [11] , given: 5

Source: Master GMAT The word inspired is used often by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

24% (02:21) correct 76% (01:26) wrong based on 1965 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source: Master GMAT

The word inspired is used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play; it is precisely the emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descends.

A. The word inspired is used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play; it is precisely the emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descends
B. Used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play is the word inspired, which is the precise emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descend
C. Precisely describing the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends is the word inspired, often used by numerous critics to describe a great play
D. The word inspired is often used by numerous critics in their descriptions of a great play and describes the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends as well.
E. The word inspired is the precise emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends and is used by numerous critics to describe a great play.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 176 [2] , given: 46

Re: The word inspired is used often by numerous critics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Good question. I got it wrong though.
Upon second review, I got my mistake.

'Used often' is unidiomatic -> should be 'often used' instead. So options A and B are out.

C is correct as the modifying phrases
1. 'Precisely describing the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends'
2. 'often used by numerous critics to describe a great play'

closely follows what its modifying : the word inspired.

D is not logically parallel.

I would want to hear why E is wrong.
19 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [19] , given: 30

Re: The word inspired is used often by numerous critics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2012, 12:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A/B/D : The word X...............IS Used in their description of a great play

C/E : The word X................IS Used to describe a play ( Guess this sounds much better / concise )

Thus A/B/D : Eliminated

Bxn C & E :

one says : The word X............is the emotion

another says : The word X..........describes emotion

E : The word inspired is the.............. emotion of the audience ( The word cannot be an Emotion............ It can describe / symbolise an Emotion ) : Eliminated

C : Describing the emotion of the audience ...................is the word inspired ( The word Inspired....Describes/ Symbolises the emotion of audience ) : Perfect

Leading to C, my take.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 997

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Source: Master GMAT The word inspired is used often by [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 12:48
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 13:18

C/E : The word X................IS Used to describe a play ( Guess this sounds much better / concise )

Dont know if I would split that way. Apart for sounding better are both or any of them correct?

I would start splitting with

This leaves you with C and D. And in D the use of "As well" imply that "is often used by numerous critics in their descriptions of a great play " and "describes the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends" are at the same level, but they are not. How is used and what describes are not at the same level I think.
Current Student
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2015, 23:51
crashVcrush wrote:

Thus A/B/D : Eliminated

Bxn C & E :

E : The word inspired is the.............. emotion of the audience ( The word cannot be an Emotion............ It can describe / symbolise an Emotion ) : Eliminated

C : Describing the emotion of the audience ...................is the word inspired ( The word Inspired....Describes/ Symbolises the emotion of audience ) : Perfect

Leading to C, my take.

Hi,

Can someone pls clarify why option E is wrong? The sentence looks fine and in all other options as well "inspired" is used to represent the emotion. :roll:

Regards,
Dom
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2015, 05:09
Mainly because a word by itself cannot be an emotion, and an emotion cannot be USED to describe something. You use words to describe something.
Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 559

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 13:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
premnath wrote:

The word inspired is used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play; it is precisely the emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descends.

A. The word inspired is used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play; it is precisely the emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descends
B. Used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play is the word inspired, which is the precise emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descend
C. Precisely describing the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends is the word inspired, often used by numerous critics to describe a great play
D. The word inspired is often used by numerous critics in their descriptions of a great play and describes the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends as well.
E. The word inspired is the precise emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends and is used by numerous critics to describe a great play.

A. The word inspired is used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play; it is precisely the emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descendsWord inspired is not an emotion.Eliminate
B. Used often by numerous critics in their description of a great play is the word inspired, which is the precise emotion experienced by the audience as the final curtain descendWord inspired is not an emotion.Eliminate
C. Precisely describing the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends is the word inspired, often used by numerous critics to describe a great playCORRECT
D. The word inspired is often used by numerous critics in their descriptions of a great play and describes the emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends as well..("as well changes the mesning")Is there any other reason by which we can eliminate this answer choice?
E. The word inspired is the precise emotion of the audience as the final curtain descends and is used by numerous critics to describe a great play.Word inspired is not an emotion.Eliminate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 165

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 05:01
Please evaluate my reasoning. I've highlighted the error and jotted down the explanation after the statement.

The emotion is not precise.

Subject Verb Agreement: Curtain descends. Curtains descend.

Correct option

Unnecessary usage of "as well"

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

BSchool Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.65
WE: Brand Management (Health Care)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 395 [0], given: 51

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 23:41
hdwnkr wrote:
Please evaluate my reasoning. I've highlighted the error and jotted down the explanation after the statement.

Subject Verb Agreement: Curtain descends. Curtains descend.

Correct option

Unnecessary usage of "as well"

Your reasoning for A and E is not correct. Both says the WORD INSPIRED is an emotion. A word cannot be an emotion. Rather it should describe the emotion.

Good Luck

CEO
CEO
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Stanford '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 168

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2016, 07:50
premnath wrote:

I hesitated to pick C, as it changes the focus of the usage of the word from a full clause to a modifier.

A. pronoun IT might be ambiguous...is it the word or the great play?
B. THE PRECISE EMOTION - changes the meaning...
E. same error as in B - precise emotion.
between C and D:
i didn't like the "as well" in D...rest doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it...
i picked C because for me both C and D are close...just picked at random.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 107

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 04:48
can anyone explain the use of present continuous tense in D(Precisely describing the emotion ...is the word inspired)to me ? thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2016, 08:07
C is the correct answer.

A - Descriptions should be used instead of description
B - 2 problems here; descends should be used instead of descend. 'precise emotion' - There is nothing called as precise emotion
D - as well makes sentence wrong
E - 'precise emotion' is wrong. description of emotion is done in a precise way and not the emotion
Re: Source: Master GMAT The word inspired is used often by   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2016, 08:07